What is your personal favorite...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

easilydoctor

doctoreasily
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking a break from Electromagnetic Fields and Inductions and I thought it'd be interesting to get to know some of our fellow SDNers by inviting you to answer this question in 100 words or less!
What is your favorite subject thusfar in your premedical career? What are some of the concepts and applications that draw you to this topic? If you can recall, what point in your semester did you realize you actually enjoyed studying it and how? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking a break from Electromagnetic Fields and Inductions and I thought it'd be interesting to get to know some of our fellow SDNers by inviting you to answer this question in 100 words or less!
What is your favorite subject thusfar in your premedical career? What are some of the concepts and applications that draw you to this topic? If you can recall, what point in your semester did you realize you actually enjoyed studying it and how? Thank you!

I really enjoyed both semesters of physics as an undergrad. I thought I would hate them, but ended up loving them (except circuits - not a huge fan).

<-------Huge Loser...

Synthesis Reactions and NMR

Members don't see this ad :)
Cell Structure & Function. At my school they divide up biology into two semesters: Cell Structure & Function and Genetics & Molecular Biology. I like cell biology a lot more than genetics, although learning about microbiology topics in genetics piques my interest.

So far, I've enjoyed Bio I mostly because we got to dissect a fetal pig. It made me lean towards surgery, which I realize its imprudent but I really enjoyed scapels. :p I also think it's mostly because my bio teacher who is also the physiology teacher who is also the head of the science department and is an amazing mentor. I look forward to Physiology. Anybody wanna forewarn me?

Quantum theory and thermodynamics.

Quantum mechanics and molecular bonding. Pretty interesting to understand actually what is going on in a chemical bond besides "sharing electrons".

Hands down, organic chem 2. I think its trying to understand something complex that's not very cut and dry...you have to get a feeling for the material before you can start to really analyze and begin higher level thinking about the material. For me, it was after my 2nd midterm where I did really well and realized that everything had just clicked in my mind and all the concepts and studying had just come together.

Physical chemistry because thermodynamics give a more realistic explanation of life (better than the crap religion fanatics want us to believe. )

Neurobiology, Human Anatomy Lab, Evidence for Evolution, and Human Physiology were by far the most interesting sciences classes I have taken.

Outside of Science Dept....

Race & Class in Society Today, Social Theory, Health Economics, and a year's worth of World Religion Classes where I read every major religious doctrine you could think of from an objective point of view.

Plain old simple Biology. We've been doing the evolution of animals and I find it very interesting to know where we came from. Getting into the adaptations that every living thing has gone through for survival is what keeps me interested. When you really think about it, we have had to go through a ton of events to get us where we are today and that's not the end of it. 10,000 years from now people could be looking back and seeing how primitive we really are. Course we could all be dead too. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Systematics. Brings together evolutionary theory, philosophy of classification, biogeography, comparative anatomy, and molecular genetics, among other things. I really enjoyed it, mostly for the lively discussions.

Biochemistry and organic chemistry for science classes.
I just liked how it made sense.

For non science, it was ancient philosophy. Go figure.

For Science Courses:
1. Chordate Zoology (if I had taken it earlier, I may have gone the vet route)
2. Toxicology
3. Pathophysiology

Non-science:
1. Ancient Middle Eastern Civilizations
2. Buddhism
3. Indian Mythology

US Military History 1800-2000 <--i had an awesome professor for this class:) . HIstory is definitely one of the subjects i learned to hate while in high school, but this professor made it so interesting; we looked at literature from the 1800s/1900s etc, from both an english/analytical perspective, and a historical one, connecting it to current political topics...:D

Physiology. I LOVE physiology. I knew it the second lecture started. Lab just reinforced how great the subject is. I loved it so much that I spent a year preceptoring for the labs where I tried to convince all the Molecular and Cellular Biology majors to switch over to Physiology. I have also spent the last year TAing for the two required capstone physiology courses. I think it is the most potentially useful information you learn in undergrad. While I was at my Harvard interview, the students were studying for their first exam, and I had already learned their material. Yay physiolgy!:thumbup:

Immunology. I don't think any explanation is necessary.

Biochem of course. It makes everything else make sense. I think I started liking it the day our prof. said something to the effect of "This is a protein."

toss up between Human Biochem I and Genetics. I loved them both... Genetics is like working out a puzzle and Human Biochem just clicked in my head.:idea:

Surprising in my undergrad, Orgo was probably one of my favorite prereqs. There was also an advanced bio class about cancer and cell Growth which I found particularly interesting as well

viruses & patheogenesis. understanding how a virus can take over the a cell, circumvent the host defenses, and force the cell machinery to work towards its own propagation. the hot zone by richard preston got me excited about viruses when i was 14. i realized my interest in patheogenesis when i was writing a proposal for my qualifying exam in grad school.

Science- probably microbiology lab..

Non-science- anthropology of gender or abnormal psych

Animal Development (Embryology). It's beautiful how so much comes together so well, like pieces to a puzzle, to make an entire person (~1 trillion cells) from just 1 cell.

Science: all my advanced neuro, darwinian medicine
Non-Science: humanity's place in nature (phil), terrorism (phil), social history of medicine, human origins (anth), mayan and olmec civ (anth), intro to novel

I took a class on stem cell biology. It was awesome, and now I have a lot of information to help sort through all the (crap) in the media, and understand the implications of the proposed legislation in congress (oh, yeah, politics are a hobby of mine in a way).

I'm in a class on the biological basis of human nature right now. Totally fascinating. I love being a senior and being able to selectively pick and choose exactly what I wanted to take. :)

Real Analysis and Topology...its amazing how abstract things correspond to fundamental realities.

cell bio and immunology. i like the little stuff ;)

BioOrganic Chemistry and Biochemistry. My favorite parts of both, doing mechanisms of enzymes and carcinogens (ties back to my love of Organic Chemistry). :)

My Viticulture and Enology class or Brit Lit class (not the material, but the prof was very brilliant and very interesting)

favorite science class...my bacterial pathogenesis i'm in right now is really interesting and useful

so far, l likd calc I (no particular reason), physiology- coz i like to study the organ systems and how they work, it's just fascinating to me. i likd bio II also coz i got to dissect the fetal pig (whom i named lean machine coz he was too thin commpared to other pigs):D .