What is your school telling you about when you (med students) might/will get a COVID vaccine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does the vaccine work or are we going to be expected to wear masks forever?

the vaccine data seems good so why are some recommending to continue masking even after vaccination? seems ridiculous

Is this a serious question?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes - just to make it clearer for you, wearing masks to protect against a virus you've been vaccinated against is dumb
You realize that the immunity from the vaccine isn’t instant right? The immunity takes time to build up. At two weeks out from dose 1 you’re only at about 52%. It’s not until 10-14 days after the second dose that your body will have built up the full immunity for that 95% efficacy. So no, masking after you get vaccinated isn’t dumb.

Additionally, we do not yet have data on whether you can transmit the virus after you’ve been vaccinated, since with some vaccines you can prevent disease but not transmission to other people (e.g., pertussis). So no, until we have that data showing it is not transmitted by vaccinated people, asking people to mask up so they don’t get it at all is not dumb.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You realize that the immunity from the vaccine isn’t instant right? The immunity takes time to build up. At two weeks out from dose 1 you’re only at about 52%. It’s not until 10-14 days after the second dose that your body will have built up the full immunity for that 95% efficacy. So no, masking after you get vaccinated isn’t dumb.

Additionally, we do not yet have data on whether you can transmit the virus after you’ve been vaccinated, since with some vaccines you can prevent disease but not transmission to other people (e.g., pertussis). So no, until we have that data showing it is not transmitted by vaccinated people, asking people to mask up so they don’t get it at all is not dumb.

When will the data come out? :unsure:🤨:eyebrow:

i'm just continuing that line of reasoning

When will the data come out? :unsure:🤨:eyebrow:

i'm just continuing that line of reasoning

They are working on it. The moderna phase 3 trial showed a reduction in asymptomatic transmission after the first dose, but the data set was small. Pfizer is looking at it now and both continue to gather data on it. I suspect it will be a little while before we know.

I have a feeling the data will show that asymptomatic transmission is greatly reduced, but until that is known for sure we have to be cautious.

Reactions: 1 users
They are working on it. The moderna phase 3 trial showed a reduction in asymptomatic transmission after the first dose, but the data set was small. Pfizer is looking at it now and both continue to gather data on it. I suspect it will be a little while before we know.

I have a feeling the data will show that asymptomatic transmission is greatly reduced, but until that is known for sure we have to be cautious.

Knowing the state of US society, it'll be get the first shot, stop wearing masks + reopen everything + avoid getting second shot + general antivax sentiment.

Reactions: 3 users
etting it, M1s really shouldn’t be unless they are seeing patients. Kinda stupid if they aren’t seeing patients and are getting vaccinated at this point. IMO restaurant and gas station employees should be getting it before me the lowly M1

M1, getting vaccinated this week, but feel the same sentiment. I work with patients maybe... 5-10hrs a week? There are folks working jobs where they're in contact with high-risk individuals 40+ hours a week.

Reactions: 1 user
M1, getting vaccinated this week, but feel the same sentiment. I work with patients maybe... 5-10hrs a week? There are folks working jobs where they're in contact with high-risk individuals 40+ hours a week.
there are probably some loud m1/m2s envious of the m3/4s getting it. I think M2s should be fully vaccinated before starting their clinicals this summer...... M1s though.....Idk.

there are probably some loud m1/m2s envious of the m3/4s getting it. I think M2s should be fully vaccinated before starting their clinicals this summer...... M1s though.....Idk.
Yea I think it's tough to justify giving it to M1s until more vulnerable populations have been vaccinated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I might go for Moderna if it becomes necessary but i'm really just going for one shot only and being done with it.

That’s such a weird position. Pfizer requires less time between shots. So why would you go for moderna if you want to just be done with it?

That’s such a weird position. Pfizer requires less time between shots. So why would you go for moderna if you want to just be done with it?
:unsure:

I guess personal bias before the vaccines are out but yeah i'd need to go for Pfizer.

J&J >>> Pfizer >= Moderna

I'm trying to wait out as long as possible until J&J is out. Otherwise go for Pfizer

M3, get my second does of Pfizer tmr.

My school went from telling us they would give it to use all, then a week later did a 180 and said "nah it'll be based on your core site"

I have some classmates at other sites that have not received any doses yet and are not getting answers when asking if they will be getting it.

I guess personal bias before the vaccines are out but yeah i'd need to go for Pfizer.

I'm trying to wait out as long as possible until J&J is out. Otherwise go for Pfizer

Yeah sorry I just don’t understand that at all. By the time the j&j vaccine is out, you could be done with Pfizer or moderna.

Do you have a severe needle phobia or something? You would likely be done with Pfizer before even getting your first J&J.

Yeah sorry I just don’t understand that at all. By the time the j&j vaccine is out, you could be done with Pfizer or moderna.
Do you have a severe needle phobia or something? You would likely be done with Pfizer before even getting your first J&J.

I'm just scared of worse symptoms with 2nd shot and likely forgetting about getting the 2nd shot because busy with other things. If J&J vaccine has similar efficacy, getting the shot and being done with it feels right for me

I'm just scared of worse symptoms with 2nd shot and likely forgetting about getting the 2nd shot because busy with other things. If J&J vaccine has similar efficacy, getting the shot and being done with it feels right for me

I know multiple people who had zero side effects with both shots. And most of the people I know who have gotten both and had side effects, they didn’t last very long and weren’t terrible. I think the number of people having horrible reactions to the second shot might be overblown.

I know multiple people who had zero side effects with both shots. And most of the people I know who have gotten both and had side effects, they didn’t last very long and weren’t terrible. I think the number of people having horrible reactions to the second shot might be overblown.

Idk i'd need more clear data since i can find examples that show the opposite. The initial Pfizer data got me more wary

Idk i'd need more clear data since i can find examples that show the opposite. The initial Pfizer data got me more wary

Or you can just get it and recognize that any side effects you have are better than getting covid. I mean I don’t want side effects either but I’d rather get the vaccine and feel ****ty for a day than delay getting vaccinated by an unknown number of months.

Or you can just get it and recognize that any side effects you have are better than getting covid. I mean I don’t want side effects either but I’d rather get the vaccine and feel ****ty for a day than delay getting vaccinated by an unknown number of months.

Pfizer requires feeling crappy twice though

It's a trend that's been backed by the Pfizer study though. I'm all for getting vaccinated and feeling bad for a day. I'd rather not experience this twice

Most people I know who have gotten it didn't have any side effects from the first one. Even if you were going to feel bad for two days, if you wind up getting Covid in the interim, you risk feeling bad for a lot longer than two days.

Most people I know who have gotten didn't have any side effects from the first one. Even if you were going to feel bad for two days, if you wind up getting Covid in the interim, you risk feeling bad for a lot longer than two days.
There's too many mixed reports on SDN alone. I'd need to ask my friends and faculty for more advice but from what i'm seeing, i won't be surprised if they agree pfizer isn't too bad

Cmon now, I know you know how to use a calendar.

I had moderate side effects for 60 hours after Pfizer #1, and severe side effects for 72 hours after Pfizer #2. The worst was at hour 24-36 after #2. I was physically suffering. But I also put off taking NSAIDs until I couldn’t take it anymore at like hour 32, due to the weak evidence/theoretical idea that it attenuates the immune response.

I am very thankful for the vaccine and would make the same decision again knowing the side effects I had. Now if it became a yearly thing I might have to think about it. But for now, I would just recommend to get it when you don’t have responsibilities for the next couple days. Like get it on a Friday when you get off duty, if you are off that weekend. And just commit to staying at home and getting through the side effects if it happens.

Just got my Tila Tequila 2nd Shot of Love :love:

• Haha
There's too many mixed reports on SDN alone. I'd need to ask my friends and faculty for more advice but from what i'm seeing, i won't be surprised if they agree pfizer isn't too bad

Yeah well I’m not gonna argue with you anymore, but your opinions on this seem to just rapidly change and don’t seem based on facts.

Reactions: 2 users
I had moderate side effects for 60 hours after Pfizer #1, and severe side effects for 72 hours after Pfizer #2. The worst was at hour 24-36 after #2. I was physically suffering. But I also put off taking NSAIDs until I couldn’t take it anymore at like hour 32, due to the weak evidence/theoretical idea that it attenuates the immune response.

I am very thankful for the vaccine and would make the same decision again knowing the side effects I had. Now if it became a yearly thing I might have to think about it. But for now, I would just recommend to get it when you don’t have responsibilities for the next couple days. Like get it on a Friday when you get off duty, if you are off that weekend. And just commit to staying at home and getting through the side effects if it happens.
Oo damn, sorry to hear about your experiences. Is there a particular reason these vaccines are more prone to side effects than others? I assume mRNA vaccines just elicit a more robust immune response?

Either way - I scheduled my shot to be after anything important I have that day just in case.

Yeah well I’m not gonna argue with you anymore, but your opinions on this seem to just rapidly change and don’t seem based on facts.

I didn't change my stance, and i wasn't interested in arguing. I just said i was waiting for the J&J vaccine and stated my preference for 1 shot vs 2. And i repeatedly mentioned that the Pfizer vaccine study clearly showed worse symptoms with 2nd dose, and was only met with anecdotes.

What? I had extremely minimal side effects from Pfizer #1, and I know more people who had none than who had bad ones.

Is there anything concrete besides anecdotes? Like if you showed me concrete objective data that the side effects from the initial Pfizer study (mainly 2nd dose) were exaggerated, i would readily concede and immediately sign up ASAP

Wow i'm sorry that sucks. If i'm in an unavoidable position, i'll bite the bullet and get the Pfizer vaccine and bear the bad symptoms. That's at least more worthwhile than basing on SDN mixed reports.

Is there anything concrete besides anecdotes? Like if you showed me concrete objective data that the side effects from the initial Pfizer study (mainly 2nd dose) were exaggerated, i would readily concede and immediately sign up ASAP

It’s been out for like a month and a half. Some people feel like they got hit by a bus, some people don’t have any side effects at all. According to the cdc, around 50-60% of people have at least one systemic symptom and it is more common and severe after the second dose. So 40-50% of people don’t have any systemic symptoms.

I lost the link, but apparently there is some emerging data that alternating arms lowers the risk of bad systemic symptoms after the second dose.

• Wow
It’s been out for like a month and a half. Some people feel like they got hit by a bus, some people don’t have any side effects at all. According to the cdc, around 50-60% of people have at least one systemic symptom and it is more common and severe after the second dose. So 40-50% of people don’t have any systemic symptoms.

I lost the link, but apparently there is some emerging data that alternating arms lowers the risk of bad systemic symptoms after the second dose.
I did left both times :( Since I'm right handed, my left side is sacrificed for all injections/IVs/lab draws

I’m ambidextrous so I just get it in whichever arm is facing them, but I’m switching arms when I get my second dose.
I'll definitely be taking this advice. I consider myself dumbdextrous, I can use either hand as well as the other but I'm bad with both :p

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I’m ambidextrous so I just get it in whichever arm is facing them, but I’m switching arms when I get my second dose.

I get dose #2 of Moderna next Monday and will be alternating arms. My first vaccine was about as painful as a typical flu shot (soreness at injection site for 2 days) but I still don't want any more potentially serious AE.