What is your school telling you about when you (med students) might/will get a COVID vaccine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m ambidextrous so I just get it in whichever arm is facing them, but I’m switching arms when I get my second dose.
Ill give you my N=1 tmr. did left for the first, Ill do right next

Honestly I wouldnt mind a day off of rotations, even if I felt like ass

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I get dose #2 of Moderna next Monday and will be alternating arms. My first vaccine was about as painful as a typical flu shot (soreness at injection site for 2 days) but I still don't want any more potentially serious AE.
Ill give you my N=1 tmr. did left for the first, Ill do right next

Honestly I wouldnt mind a day off of rotations, even if I felt like ass
Yeah update us here. I get dose 2 next Thursday and will update.

Reactions: 1 user
I got 2 doses of Pfizer. Essentially no symptoms, incredibly minor soreness at inj site.

So far, the worst reactions (in my colleagues) have been in people who had COVID. Evrtything else has been minor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got 2 doses of Pfizer. Essentially no symptoms, incredibly minor soreness at inj site.

So far, the worst reactions (in my colleagues) have been in people who had COVID. Evrtything else has been minor.

This is actually important and it slipped my mind. I have heard of a few coworkers as well who had COVID previously and seemed to have a much stronger reaction to the vaccine.

This is actually important and it slipped my mind. I have heard of a few coworkers as well who had COVID previously and seemed to have a much stronger reaction to the vaccine.
Welp. Both my roommates had COVID back in March so it's highly likely I was an asymptomatic case. I should've gotten Ab tested to be sure hahaha

Last edited:
Since people are giving their anecdotes, 8 of my friends and I have received the 2 Pfizer doses. One had a headache 24hrs after dose 2, the rest of us had either sore arms or no symptoms. I received both shots in my left arm and the only symptom I had was soreness for about two days. I really don't understand the hesitancy. Side effects or not, getting the vaccine sooner is better than later if you can get it.

Reactions: 3 users
Since people are giving their anecdotes, 8 of my friends and I have received the 2 Pfizer doses. One had a headache 24hrs after dose 2, the rest of us had either sore arms or no symptoms. I received both shots in my left arm and the only symptom I had was soreness for about two days. I really don't understand the hesitancy. Side effects or not, getting the vaccine sooner is better than later if you can get it.

A sore arm is definitely better than COVID... but that's just my personal opinion.

A sore arm is definitely better than COVID... but that's just my personal opinion.
100%

My roommate lost her sense of smell in March. She can now only smell certain things, mostly noxious scents, and things she used to love (coffee, mint, etc,) makes her almost throw up.

This is a rare complication, but a sore arm is worth mitigating that risk (that and of course any other complication, inevitably reducing the spread, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
100%

My roommate lost her sense of smell in March. She can now only smell certain things, mostly noxious scents, and things she used to love (coffee, mint, etc,) makes her almost throw up.

This is a rare complication, but a sore arm is worth mitigating that risk (that and of course any other complication, inevitably reducing the spread, etc).
A sore arm is hardly anything. It's the very bad symptoms lasting for few days that's the problem. So migraines, GI issues, bad fever, complete exhaustion etc.

I suppose schools are usually very understanding and allow for day off and the different arm approach is interesting so i'm less opposed than before

A sore arm is hardly anything. It's the very bad symptoms lasting for few days that's the problem. So migraines, GI issues, bad fever, complete exhaustion etc.

I suppose schools are usually very understanding and allow for day off and the different arm approach is interesting so i'm less opposed than before
*shrug* temporary discomfort is still 1000% better than what I described, something that lasted almost a year at this point and thus probably permanent to an extent.

Also, while there isnt data on how much vaccination reduces transmission, it can be deduced that a vaccinated individual, given a robust response, would have a much lower viral load upon infection and be far less likely to spread to others.

We can argue the probabilities and numbers, but if the possibility of a potentially bad day can reduce these risks for myself and others I just cant imagine saying no.

*shrug* temporary discomfort is still 1000% better than what I described, something that lasted almost a year at this point and thus probably permanent to an extent.

Also, while there isnt data on how much vaccination reduces transmission, it can be deduced that a vaccinated individual, given a robust response, would have a much lower viral load upon infection and be far less likely to spread to others.

We can argue the probabilities and numbers, but if the possibility of a potentially bad day can reduce these risks for myself and others I just cant imagine saying no.

How did people manage without vaccines? Yes by directly comparing to covid, the vaccine is better, but i was trying to compare Pfizer vaccine with other vaccines for other diseases, none of which i had any problems. It would suck if Pfizer proves to be most troublesome for me.

Vaccine shortages and slow rollout remain a problem. Me waiting a bit only ensures vaccines still go to the right people especially since i'm low priority. Of course, i'm going to get vaccinated anyways but i think it's reasonable to at least wait a bit when i'm low priority

By dying, mostly.
The death toll would've been much higher, and you just supported my point that vaccines should go to high priority groups (so those at high risk for covid). I'm low priority who's not seeing covid patients. If i'm told to get vaccinated, i'll do so immediately but that's very different from SDN suggestions

By dying, mostly.

As to your new reasons for waiting - that's fair, no one would argue that. Most people were arguing your 'other' reasons for waiting.

I've changed my mind about the symptoms. So far in EM forums, 3 attendings reported no symptoms even when using the same arm. I think my concerns were exaggerated and the shots are not as big a deal.

How did people manage without vaccines? Yes by directly comparing to covid, the vaccine is better, but i was trying to compare Pfizer vaccine with other vaccines for other diseases, none of which i had any problems. It would suck if Pfizer proves to be most troublesome for me.

Vaccine shortages and slow rollout remain a problem. Me waiting a bit only ensures vaccines still go to the right people especially since i'm low priority. Of course, i'm going to get vaccinated anyways but i think it's reasonable to at least wait a bit when i'm low priority
For the flu shot, tetanus shot, HPV, others I just have a sore arm. With Hep A, Hep B, MMR barely anything. With the meningococcal vaccine I had some symptoms, though not as bad as the COVID vaccine.

My friend had covid and had zero symptoms from the vaccine lol. But it’s all anecdotal without data.

The death toll would've been much higher, and you just supported my point that vaccines should go to high priority groups (so those at high risk for covid). I'm low priority who's not seeing covid patients. If i'm told to get vaccinated, i'll do so immediately but that's very different from SDN suggestions

If you have the opportunity to get it, then get it. People are really just saying you shouldn’t be taking it away from people who are higher risk. For example, don’t sign up if you haven’t been told to sign up. Don’t pretend you’re higher risk than you are. But if wherever you are opens it up to groups that include you, then go get it.

The day after Dose #2 felt like how it felt to wake up the day after a night of heavy drinking for about 8 hours or so. The day after that I was totally back to normal.

The day after Dose #2 felt like how it felt to wake up the day after a night of heavy drinking for about 8 hours or so. The day after that I was totally back to normal.
My anxiety definitely wont translate that into "I'm definitely dying" and lead into a full blown panic attack

Had to rationalize to myself that my throat wasnt closing after my first dose lmaoo

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Got my second shot in my opposite arm. Feels a lot better than my first one

I feel that the symptoms/side effects from the vaccine vary just as much as the severity does in people who get COVID.
I'm sure it varies, but the range of severity is not equivalent. Side effects from the vaccine don't generally include permanent lung damage, disability, or death.

I'm sure it varies, but the range of severity is not equivalent. Side effects from the vaccine don't generally include permanent lung damage, disability, or death.

Indeed. I simply meant that severity of symptoms of adverse effects of vaccine vary just as widely as COVID itself insofar as widely ranging from nothing to very extreme.

• Hmm
Update: 6 hours later after 2nd shot in opposite arm. I had covid back in November. No post shot symptoms.

Had an incredibly sore arm after my first shot 3 weeks ago.

Finally got mine through the health department. Our school's stance is still "ask your sites, good luck".

I kind of also agree that M1s/2s shouldn't be prioritized, but whatever. Tons of first and second year students from my school are signing up for vaccines through the health department, but all they're doing is Zoom classes so they're technically no more at risk than anyone else. But whatever. Just happy to have mine since I've seen many a patient who have tested positive within the days after our encounter.
M1 here, a lot of M1/2s are being asked to help out with the vaccine effort. I think its a fair exchange for them to be able to get the vaccine in exchange for helping out. Additionally, some schools are still planning on putting their medical students back into the clinic soon (I know at mine they're currently planning on putting all of the current M1s into our continuity clinics in April), and as much as the vaccine protects us, it also can potentially reduce the potential for us to infect our patients.

M1 here, a lot of M1/2s are being asked to help out with the vaccine effort. I think its a fair exchange for them to be able to get the vaccine in exchange for helping out. Additionally, some schools are still planning on putting their medical students back into the clinic soon (I know at mine they're currently planning on putting all of the current M1s into our continuity clinics in April), and as much as the vaccine protects us, it also can potentially reduce the potential for us to infect our patients.
+1

I don't understand the virtue-signaling from current M1/M2s and moral gatekeeping from M3/M4s claiming that M1/M2s shouldn't be vaccinated. Many pre-clinical students engage in curricular clinical activities which put them and patients at risk, especially with schools trending toward early clinical experiences. And frankly the pandemic has laid a heavy burden on students starting medical school in COVID times—to selectively restrict vaccine access to those same students over 200-300 shots seems unnecessary.

Ultimately, we're all future colleagues and should be advocating for one another to be protected.

+1

I don't understand the virtue-signaling from current M1/M2s and moral gatekeeping from M3/M4s claiming that M1/M2s shouldn't be vaccinated. Many pre-clinical students engage in curricular clinical activities which put them and patients at risk, especially with schools trending toward early clinical experiences. And frankly the pandemic has laid a heavy burden on students starting medical school in COVID times—to selectively restrict vaccine access to those same students over 200-300 shots seems unnecessary.

Ultimately, we're all future colleagues and should be advocating for one another to be protected.
if they are in the clinic fine. If not then those shots should go to people at higher risk of dying like old people and those with chronic illnesses. We also have a duty to not look like d***s to our patients.

Reactions: 6 users
if they are in the clinic fine. If not then those shots should go to people at higher risk of dying like old people and those with chronic illnesses. We also have a duty to not look like d***s to our patients.
Exactly. Being on zoom all day poses minimal risk compared to say manning a cashier 40 hours a week.

Of course if you're offered a vaccine, take it, as there are other logistics in place and so passing up on it doesnt actually mean itll go to someone who 'needs it more.'

Exactly. Being on zoom all day poses minimal risk compared to say manning a cashier 40 hours a week.

Of course if you're offered a vaccine, take it, as there are other logistics in place and so passing up on it doesnt actually mean itll go to someone who 'needs it more.'
The bolded seems spot on with how distribution is going. Just get it when you get an opportunity. Passing it up might mean it expires before it goes to anyone.

The bolded seems spot on with how distribution is going. Just get it when you get an opportunity. Passing it up might mean it expires before it goes to anyone.
agreed, just don't like being called a "moral gatekeeper" as a pejorative when that is kinda how we select for med school matriculants, those who should be moral gatekeepers.

+1

I agree that it's dumb for any M1/M2 to be shamed if they are offered the vaccine by their school or if they are doing anything clinical. It varies though because I'm an M1 and haven't so much a looked at a patient all year so it would definitely be stupid for me to get it before others.

That being said, if my school says they have them for us I will certainly take it as opposed to turning it down as some kind of moral flex haha.

If you're being asked to help out with vaccine distribution, I agree you should be offered a vaccine. My school is doing this for its M1s/M2s. I also agree M2s should be vaccinated before going out on rotations. My issue comes more with seeing 80+ year old patients in clinic with multiple comorbidities who are asking us daily about when they can get their vaccines so they can see their families again, but we're vaccinating M1s who are sitting home on zoom all day. I'm not blaming the students-- if you have the opportunity to get vaccinated, I agree you should jump on it. It's more a criticism of the flaws in vaccine rollout.

My issue comes more with seeing 80+ year old patients in clinic with multiple comorbidities who are asking us daily about when they can get their vaccines so they can see their families again, but we're vaccinating M1s who are sitting home on zoom all day. I'm not blaming the students-- if you have the opportunity to get vaccinated, I agree you should jump on it. It's more a criticism of the flaws in vaccine rollout.
Agreed. I'm not criticizing people for jumping on getting a vaccine if it's offered, but the criteria being implemented (at least in my city) are mind-numbingly idiotic and harmful.

I'm an MD/PhD student. I'm in my PhD years, so I'm not being offered a vaccine. On a base level, I think this is fine. That's how it should be.

However, my school specifically issued vaccines with the following priority: COVID-facing staff > other clinical staff > administrators > medical students (specifically excluding MD/PhD students in the PhD years) > research staff.

So I am not being offered a vaccine despite interacting with ~50-100 people/day in a research setting where I have to be in every day, including them using my building lobby as a student testing center and my lab as a sample processing facility. Despite teaching undergrads in person all Fall to save this school's finances while they actively refused to tell me if any of the little COVID vectors I spent 2 hours with 3x/week tested positive. Despite working the nightshift and completely hamstringing my PhD to keep lab density low and campus numbers down, even though we haven't had a single intralab infection in the whole university. But M1s and M2s, who are non-clinical aside from some very uninvolved shadowing, are already vaccinated?

Then, they started vaccinating research staff from the hospital (but not from the university) (???). We have 4 people in our lab, healthy 23-26 year olds with no comorbidities, who are getting vaccines this week because two years ago they signed up to use equipment at the hospital and are technically on the payroll as volunteer research staff. So they are "hospital employees." These are regular PhD students with absolutely no clinical contact. One of them has been exclusively working from home because her project was computational.

I go out and get my groceries and see unvaccinated, obviously diabetes and heart disease-ridden cashiers in their 60s wearing sweat and drool-soaked masks still waiting. My immunocompromised mother was only able to get a vaccine as a school nurse because she agreed to take a frontline job giving vaccines. My 93 year old grandmother got COVID last week because her aide wasn't offered a vaccine early enough and she gave her COVID. My 70+ year old aunt and uncle can't get a vaccine despite being state-eligible.

My aunt's brother died of COVID in his 50s. A family friend I've known since I was young died of COVID. 3000 more people every day and we have literal magic vials that save lives sitting in freezers. Meanwhile people in my lab are either celebrating their new-found freedom or scheming up ways to become adhoc hospital employees. It makes me want to throw a chair through the wall.

Last edited:
  • Care
Yeah update us here. I get dose 2 next Thursday and will update.

Two employees in my pharmacy who had dose #2 of Moderna both had severe enough side effects to leave early and/or call off work. One was 12 hours post vaccine, the other 36 hours post vaccine. I will report on my own tomorrow afternoon.

If you have the opportunity to get it, then get it. People are really just saying you shouldn’t be taking it away from people who are higher risk. For example, don’t sign up if you haven’t been told to sign up. Don’t pretend you’re higher risk than you are. But if wherever you are opens it up to groups that include you, then go get it.

Went with opposite arm this time. +2.5 hours, injection site pain began and persists even now, although yesterday it was much worse. I'd say on par with a tdap vaccine and painful to the touch. Notable fatigue, muscle aches, joint aches the following morning which persisted throughout the day. Took 800mg ibuprofen around 1500 and most of it cleared up. Now I'm +48 hours after vaccine and feeling fine again, aside from the injection site pain which is greatly diminished.

Reactions: 4 users
Went with opposite arm this time. +2.5 hours, injection site pain began and persists even now, although yesterday it was much worse. I'd say on par with a tdap vaccine and painful to the touch. Notable fatigue, muscle aches, joint aches the following morning which persisted throughout the day. Took 800mg ibuprofen around 1500 and most of it cleared up. Now I'm +48 hours after vaccine and feeling fine again, aside from the injection site pain which is greatly diminished.

Getting my second dose tomorrow morning. Will do opposite arm and update.

Getting my second dose tomorrow morning. Will do opposite arm and update.

Wow, that did not help. Felt good for about 3 hours, then started to get fatigued. Wasn’t unmanageable though. Arm was sore and hurt to lift above my shoulder.

By 12 hours, I was nauseated, really fatigued, and flushed. Took some Motrin and got into bed with some Queen’s Gambit.

Woke up at 2am with bad headache, chills, rigors, flushing, tachycardia, bad arthralgias, nausea, and a stiff neck. Took some more Motrin at 4. Slept a little.

Woke up at 8 with a bad headache, nausea, and fatigue. It’s 9 now and I got tired just walking up the stairs to get breakfast.

• Care
  • Wow
Wow, that did not help. Felt good for about 3 hours, then started to get fatigued. Wasn’t unmanageable though. Arm was sore and hurt to lift above my shoulder.

By 12 hours, I was nauseated, really fatigued, and flushed. Took some Motrin and got into bed with some Queen’s Gambit.

Woke up at 2am with bad headache, chills, rigors, flushing, tachycardia, bad arthralgias, nausea, and a stiff neck. Took some more Motrin at 4. Slept a little.

Woke up at 8 with a bad headache, nausea, and fatigue. It’s 9 now and I got tired just walking up the stairs to get breakfast.
Sorry you’re feeling bad. It does give me some sense of validation though. I did feel like you were one of the loudest voices discounting side effects, and I had really suffered.

Sorry you’re feeling bad. It does give me some sense of validation though. I did feel like you were one of the loudest voices discounting side effects, and I had really suffered.

I'm just convinced at this point that 2 shots are the way to go. The side effects are terrible but i'm planning accordingly with the assumption that i may be out of commission for a day or two.

I'm just convinced at this point that 2 shots are the way to go. The side effects are terrible but i'm planning accordingly with the assumption that i may be out of commission for a day or two.
Which is what I told you before! Lol. Guess the J&J results today convinced you. (Oh and plan at least the rest of the day and 2 full days after to recover).