What is your school's start to finish success rate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Staphylococcus Aureus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like caribbean schools, the numbers need to be made available on the actual success rate of each class, meaning full attrition of how many of the students that start on day one make it to graduation with a secured residency spot. I know my school has had drop outs, held back a year, and kicked students out, much higher attrition than I could imagine as a premed, but these obviously do not show up match or even "placement" statistics. Part of the schools answer to the merger has been to lower it's tolerance threshold for keeping a student in the program. I can see this getting worse as the match crunch for COMs will seek to weed more students out before they even reach match day in order to keep impressive match rates. Anyone guess what the actual success rate is?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
All indicators related to DO school quality are basically non-existent in the AOA/COCA mindset. Basically, all these organizations care about is market share so more people can answer the "What is a DO" question. So all of the performance indicators you are alluding to (School Attrition, Board Scores, Match Rates) will essentially be trending downward since the quality of the matriculating DO student is declining coupled with more competition in the unified 2020 match.

Even in Colorado, a state with a population of only 5.4M, we are now going to have two DO schools? One in Greeley is planned I guess. So what's the AOA/COCA plan now, at least two DO schools in every state? So to address an item from the AOA strategic plan below:

The AOA's multi-year brand awareness campaign aims to answer the question, "What is a DO?" once and for all.

The answer will be, "a DO is an unemployed physician". Stakeholders in the DO community can fix the problem primarily by focusing upon quality not quantity. SDN members know this, but I guess the AOA/COCA are clueless.

Reactions: 3 users
Like caribbean schools, the numbers need to be made available on the actual success rate of each class, meaning full attrition of how many of the students that start on day one make it to graduation with a secured residency spot. I know my school has had drop outs, held back a year, and kicked students out, much higher attrition than I could imagine as a premed, but these obviously do not show up match or even "placement" statistics. Part of the schools answer to the merger has been to lower it's tolerance threshold for keeping a student in the program. I can see this getting worse as the match crunch for COMs will seek to weed more students out before they even reach match day in order to keep impressive match rates. Anyone guess what the actual success rate is?
I don't think it's possible to accurately know the exact numbers, especially regarding placement rates. However, we could get a good idea regarding attrition rates by using this document.
2018 Summary by College
For example, it looks like LUCOM's inaugural class only had 126/162 graduate on time. (77.7% success rate).
Other numbers include VCOM Carolina 150/162 (92.5%), CUSOM 161/162 (99.3%), ACOM 144/162 (88.8%) and MUCOM 157/162 (96.9%). These numbers are only the number of current graduates divided by the number of a typical entering class. This number does not take into consideration those who had to repeat a year or those who don't place. (Thus the actual success rate "from start to finish" is actually less.)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Look at graduation rates and then look at the concurrent placement in that time. It will give you a decent approximation but will be somewhat broad as it won’t factor in people who took research years, LOAs but ultimately placed fine, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
I bring this up because in another thread it was estimated that of WCU's initial class of around 120, 24 were picked off along the way and 14 didn't get match, a 68% success rate of becoming a practicing physician. This to me is totally unacceptable and borderline caribbean odds.

I bring this up because in another thread it was estimated that of WCU's initial class of around 120, 24 were picked off along the way and 14 didn't get match, a 68% success rate of becoming a practicing physician. This to me is totally unacceptable and borderline caribbean odds.
You need to factor in an adjustment for the soap/scramble after the match in order to get a true success (placement) rate. I believe a number of DO schools have a significant amount of students which need to scramble into residency positions. But it all comes back to... many DO schools should not be admitting marginal students anyway. And the COCA should not be approving rampant DO School construction in the first place.

Agreed that is terrible and WCU should be immediately on probation. I don’t think this is indicative of most DO schools though, as WCU is constantly struggling it seems and has always been borderline to begin with.

Unfortunately I also think this will be the fate of all the new schools opening up. Applicants beware.

Our attrition rate is maybe 2-4% lately. This solely represents students who have had to repeat a year...we haven't dismissed anyone for several years, knock wood.

Several years ago, NYITCOM had about 10% attrition/year for four consecutive years! I think a new Dean fixed that.

Reactions: 1 users
My class this year at atsu-soma will be graduating 104 of our original 110 (94.5%)

Yeah some of those numbers are crazy. You have schools that are graduating less than 80% of the class. Then you subtract the ones who didn't match, and then throw in the students who scrambled (also a terrible experience that can make a person regret going to medical school) and some of these school's students probably end up in the low 60s chance of not having their dreams crushed. On the flip side, there are some schools graduating and placing 95%+ of their students into residencies. This is why it annoys me when people come on here asking which DO schools are the best, and a bunch of people respond telling them to go to whatever school will take them. If only LUCOM is letting you in, better think hard whether medicine is right for you.

Reactions: 7 users
the quality of the matriculating DO student is declining.

I'm curious as to what makes you say this. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but the statistics that I've seen for DO schools has been a slow but steady upward trend not downward. Everything I've seen suggests the competition is increasing with the subsequent increase in stats. I understand concern that surrounds school proliferation but still. Maybe you are aware of something I'm not?

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
I'm curious as to what makes you say this. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but the statistics that I've seen for DO schools has been a slow but steady upward trend not downward. Everything I've seen suggests the competition is increasing with the subsequent increase in stats. I understand concern that surrounds school proliferation but still. Maybe you are aware of something I'm not?

It might be fair to say that the quality of the bottom ~10% of DO matriculants has been declining, presumably due to the speed with which new DO schools are opening. There are more seats every year, so more and more marginal candidates are getting in.

I'm not sure how much overlap there is between the bottom quartile of DO students vs Caribbean students, but that would be interesting to see in terms of GPA/MCAT and ultimately Step 1/2 and match rates.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It might be fair to say that the quality of the bottom ~10% of DO matriculants has been declining, presumably due to the speed with which new DO schools are opening. There are more seats every year, so more and more marginal candidates are getting in.

I'm not sure how much overlap there is between the bottom quartile of DO students vs Caribbean students, but that would be interesting to see in terms of GPA/MCAT and ultimately Step 1/2 and match rates.
I could buy into that. I just had a hard time understanding how the typical DO school matriculant was identified that way.

Yeah some of those numbers are crazy. You have schools that are graduating less than 80% of the class. Then you subtract the ones who didn't match, and then throw in the students who scrambled (also a terrible experience that can make a person regret going to medical school) and some of these school's students probably end up in the low 60s chance of not having their dreams crushed. On the flip side, there are some schools graduating and placing 95%+ of their students into residencies. This is why it annoys me when people come on here asking which DO schools are the best, and a bunch of people respond telling them to go to whatever school will take them. If only LUCOM is letting you in, better think hard whether medicine is right for you.
LUCOM is definitely more inclined to 'take chances' on people than some other COM's. That being said, the student that 'bets on themselves' is part of the issue as well. How many times do we see the advice 'if you can get in, your good enough to make it.' I think that message is inappropriate at this point when COM's have average MCAT's less than 500.

Of course we start to look like the Caribbean when you steal students who in years past would have gone there. Its funny because for years our standards were rising, and then the last two years we went the wrong direction.

I always wonder why people define themselves and others by their MCAT and GPA. As if this somehow is the only factors that determine and destine you to your level of future success. These discussions often seem to be more about everyone's ego than concern for candidate competence for the profession.

I always wonder why people define themselves and others by their MCAT and GPA. As if this somehow is the only factors that determine and destine you to your level of future success. These discussions often seem to be more about everyone's ego than concern for candidate competence for the profession.

Because it has long been known that MCAT's less than 24 are at much higher risk of having problems with med school. Since 500 is the new 24, when you have large amounts of the class below that range you are dealing with at risk individuals. Sure some of them will be alright, but you know the odds.

I feel for the students who come here and have gotten dumped on by their school, I really do, but there is no denying that some of them were given opportunities that their prior performance just did not warrant. Its a classic question: do you tell a kid that despite all your dreams and effort your just not smart enough, or do you just give them enough rope to hang themselves, and let nature take its course? I would argue many, especially new, DO schools are choosing the later option and profiting from it, just like the Caribbean does.

Last edited:

Nobody is defining anyone (I'm not sure what this even means) by these numbers, but they are the best objective measures med schools have for determining a candidate's potential for success. The schools with higher stats always have better matches. It's not a random coincidence. It seems to me that the students who did poorly in undergrad are the ones who's egos prevent them from accepting they aren't cut out for med school.

Because it has long been know that MCAT's less than 24 are at much higher risk of having problems with med school. Since 500 is the new 24, when you have large amounts of the class below that range you are dealing with at risk individuals. Sure some of them will be alright, but you know the odds.

I feel for the students who come here and have gotten dumped on by their school, I really do, but there is no denying that some of them were given opportunities that their prior performance just did not warrant.
It's absolutely true that at some point we have to judge based on academics but the average medical school gets 4000-6000 applicants a cycle accepting around 4% of those. Total matriculating applicants I believe is around 20k and the median MCAT score being a 500 out of about 45k I'm really wondering what's going on outside of poor application strategies. How many places are we aware of having MCAT score averages below 500? I honestly dont know of a single one. I wouldn't be shocked to see it, but to the point of this post, the attrition rate wouldn't be the concern there it would be the match rate.

Nobody is defining anyone (I'm not sure what this even means) by these numbers, but they are the best objective measures med schools have for determining a candidate's potential for success. The schools with higher stats always have better matches. It's not a random coincidence. It seems to me that the students who did poorly in undergrad are the ones who's egos prevent them from accepting they aren't cut out for med school.
I was referring to peer attitudes regarding those who were accepted. Yes, I understand the measures being necessary for a certain amount of candidate standardization but that wasn't what I was suggesting. Mind you they are defining success by board scores which was weakly to moderately correlated which means it's not unreasonable to assume but not definitive which could explain SOME acceptances at less than the median. Newer schools are going to HAVE TO accept students that are a little more borderline as they are taking a risk as much as the student is. But anyway I fear I'm becoming the guy that's derailing the thread. In order to redirect, identifying the match rate is more significant to the discussion than MCAT/GPA and high attrition rates cone with consequences even if coca is lax.

Apologies, but I have a little bit of rant on the whole numbers thing. I know a very personal example of how the 'giving people a chance' can go wrong. I know a guy who did go Caribbean 9 years ago as a nontrad. All metrics said he was high risk, low MCAT, low GPA, but he just wanted 'a chance.' Great guy, really passionate and determined to live his dream of being a doctor. And the Caribbean gladly obliged. He even got into one of the 'big four.'

And what happened to him? He failed class after class, taking multiple leaves of absence, running out of money multiples times. Failed his step 1 the first time around, passed it on either the second or third attempt, and now (he got to the end of 4th year just last year) he can't sit for Step II cause he schools won't let him cause he is testing to low on the mandatory pretest. He has to pass the pretest because he failed the first step.

This guy is over 400K+ of debt, and is never going to be a doctor! Was it really better for him to 'not let the numbers determine his future level of success.' Numbers are numbers, they tell you were you are at. And his clearly said he shouldn't be in med school, but people gave him a chance and now his life is basically over. So sorry, not sorry, ignoring metrics is just dumb.
Oh man. I'm not saying ignore metrics. But the concerns you're voicing are, at least for now, limited to the morally ambiguous carribean schools. I certainly fear DO schools proliferating into the same problem but new schools are going to typically start at lower stats but if they are worth anything that'll grow with time. I haven't heard about or seen anything suggesting absurd attrition rates for med schools in the US as an accepted occurence.

I was referring to peer attitudes regarding those who were accepted. Yes, I understand the measures being necessary for a certain amount of candidate standardization but that wasn't what I was suggesting. Mind you they are defining success by board scores which was weakly to moderately correlated which means it's not unreasonable to assume but not definitive which could explain SOME acceptances at less than the median. Newer schools are going to HAVE TO accept students that are a little more borderline as they are taking a risk as much as the student is. But anyway I fear I'm becoming the guy that's derailing the thread. In order to redirect, identifying the match rate is more significant to the discussion than MCAT/GPA and high attrition rates cone with consequences even if coca is lax.

Yeah, I'm not trying to imply that peer attitudes are negative towards these people. I realize as an applicant, just getting in is the primary focus, and it's fair for that person to assume that if a school accepts them then perhaps they have what it takes. I think most of the blame should be placed on the schools (or COCA) since no applicant truly knows what med school is like until they have experienced it. I think some here are just pointing out that schools are clearly not being responsible about this if their attrition rates are high and their match is poor. Can you clarify the last sentence?

Yeah, I'm not trying to imply that peer attitudes are negative towards these people. I realize as an applicant, just getting in is the primary focus, and it's fair for that person to assume that if a school accepts them then perhaps they have what it takes. I think most of the blame should be placed on the schools (or COCA) since no applicant truly knows what med school is like until they have experienced it. I think some here are just pointing out that schools are clearly not being responsible about this if their attrition rates are high and their match is poor. Can you clarify the last sentence?
I guess I'm not aware of poor attrition rates for almost any school inside the US which makes me think that the match would be a better indicator of the schools success with students than their entrance stats.

Because they're really the only objective way to compare yourself to other applicants.

Because they're really the only objective way to compare yourself to other applicants.
True. Doesn't mean it's a good way or that you even should though. I sit middle of the road on the issue, it's not a useless measure but I think we place too much emphasis on it.

I guess I'm not aware of poor attrition rates for almost any school inside the US which makes me think that the match would be a better indicator of the schools success with students than their entrance stats.

If you scroll up this page you'll see a link that shows schools like WCU and LUCOM do in fact have very high attrition rates for what should be acceptable for a medical school. Also, since DO schools are so secretive about their match lists, every year we just get vague stats about placement and anecdotal reports from SDN members posting info that is usually just off their FB group (usually only the good matches). Match rates and placement rates don't identify all the students that have to SOAP or scramble into a field they hate, or into dead-end TRI or pre-lim spots. It seems that some of the newer schools are sending ridiculous numbers of their students into these positions which can very nearly be just as devastating for students as not matching at all.

If you scroll up this page you'll see a link that shows schools like WCU and LUCOM do in fact have very high attrition rates for what should be acceptable for a medical school. Also, since DO schools are so secretive about their match lists, every year we just get vague stats about placement and anecdotal reports from SDN members posting info that is usually just off their FB group (usually only the good matches). Match rates and placement rates don't identify all the students that have to SOAP or scramble into a field they hate, or into dead-end TRI or pre-lim spots. It seems that some of the newer schools are sending ridiculous numbers of their students into these positions which can very nearly be just as devastating for students as not matching at all.
That's fair. I honestly scrolled past LUCOM as I anticipated hate on that school. Although, I personally avoided the school for some moral reasons haha. Yes, that's definitely a concern of coca is allowing remotely high attrition. IF it's only 2 schools it's a concern but at least for now not necessarily the worst thing ever. I do agree though. I think schools should have to report all statistics publicly and face reprocussions for any tampering.

But the concerns you're voicing are, at least for now, limited to the morally ambiguous carribean schools.

They definitely aren’t limited to the Carib. I have personally seen DO schools do this.

They definitely aren’t limited to the Carib. I have personally seen schools do this.
My understanding is most carribean schools drum out almost half of their starting students. This is happening in DO schools?

Made an edit because somehow I typed DO carribean schools which I don't believe exists haha

My understanding is most carribean schools drum out almost half of their starting students. This is happening in DO schools?

No that’s not what I meant, but there is definitely a practice of letting students that are pretty obviously not going to make it getting farther along in the process then they should. But a dismissed student doesn’t pay tuition so gotta milk that teet for all it’s worth.

So from my class we started with about ~165. Pretty sure we are graduating with closer to ~145+/-5. No one did combined degree programs that I know of.

There is a reason DO schools are so non-transparent about just about every aspect of their school besides telling you about their wellness program and useless other junk. The lack of transparency reminds of ****ty law schools. It seems like every school tries to play games with the data or just outright pretends it doesn't exist. It's a shame. If I didn't already know about my school via former students, I would have learned zero information at the interview and online. This type of curation is obviously intentional and it is highly unethical given what it does to bad students.

What school?

This is common at many schools, like 10% get straight up failed out, and another 10% are delayed. And half the class remediates something. At some point Hallowman will show up and tell us that the overall DO attrition rate in 2016 was 8%. But to get to that number some schools are higher (newer schools usually) and some are lower. And quite frankly, I believe the current attrition rate has gotten worse with expansion.

Just look at the AOA 'current' graduates in the other thread on 92% placement. Schools will match '100% of eligible graduates' while they will have an additional X current graduates (according to the AOA match statistics) who somehow just don't count. Its like I keep telling people and they ignore: The hardest part of medical (DO) school is not getting in, its getting through it with a match you are happy with. You can fail, its not as uncommon as the premeds think.

There is a reason DO schools are so non-transparent about just about every aspect of their school besides telling you about their wellness program and useless other junk. The lack of transparency reminds of ****ty law schools. It seems like every school tries to play games with the data or just outright pretends it doesn't exist. It's a shame. If I didn't already know about my school via former students, I would have learned zero information at the interview and online. This type of curation is obviously intentional and it is highly unethical given what it does to bad students.
Bad students never seem to recognize they are bad, or that their study methods need to change. Its the difference between a successful student and a bad student, a successful student might fail tests, but they won't keep doing the same thing if its not working.

I have failed tests before, but you better believe I changed things up when I did.

Yup! Don't forget that a school can forge their actual placement rate by having the student who have not matched into delaying graduation, thus exempting them from the placement rate calculations.

Yup! Don't forget that a school can forge their actual placement rate by having the student who have not matched into delaying graduation, thus exempting them from the placement rate calculations.
I thought that was something all schools do.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Bad students never seem to recognize they are bad, or that their study methods need to change. Its the difference between a successful student and a bad student, a successful student might fail tests, but they won't keep doing the same thing if its not working.

I have failed tests before, but you better believe I changed things up when I did.

Teaching moment here...a lot of truth in the bolded statement, but I'm reminded of a quote from a Russian author (Tolstoy or Chekov, I can't remember which): All happy families are alike, but all unhappy families are different.

The same applies to good vs weak students.

First off, we see the same phenotypes in schools as different as Harvard and Western or Yale and ACOM. When we faculty go to medical education conferences, sure enough, we talk about our weakest students the most.

Here are some phenotypes that they share:
  • They never come for help
  • Mental health issues are common
  • They are poor at time mgt
  • They never really wanted to be doctors
  • They have poor coping skills
  • They get clobbered by a life event (see previous line)
  • Some try to memorize everything and end up learning nothing
  • Some have test taking anxiety issues
  • At least at my school, people who lack the intellectual firepower for med school are rare

Reactions: 8 users
Most school statistics are made deceptively. For example, WesternU boasts 99-100% placement but don't tell you that only about 82% of the class manages to graduate on time. DO schools should always be a backup for anyone that wants to be a doctor, and now that the merger is in place, I can't recommend attending any DO school that doesn't have an established reputation.

I don't think it's possible to accurately know the exact numbers, especially regarding placement rates. However, we could get a good idea regarding attrition rates by using this document.
2018 Summary by College
For example, it looks like LUCOM's inaugural class only had 126/162 graduate on time. (77.7% success rate).
Other numbers include VCOM Carolina 150/162 (92.5%), CUSOM 161/162 (99.3%), ACOM 144/162 (88.8%) and MUCOM 157/162 (96.9%). These numbers are only the number of current graduates divided by the number of a typical entering class. This number does not take into consideration those who had to repeat a year or those who don't place. (Thus the actual success rate "from start to finish" is actually less.)
I wasn’t reading that link as attrition rate. But in terms of “graduated in 4 years”, cusom was not 161/162 for the inaugural or second class.

The rumor is that my class of 280 is down to 250 or something. Definitely not seeing some people. But our curriculum is know to be brutal so not really surprised.

As a 4th year student at William Carey, I can confirm that those numbers are roughly correct. If any fellow classmates or admin are around here and want to correct my numbers, please do so.

First year, day 1, there were roughly 115 students in the classroom. I don’t remember how many of those were previous repeats, but there were about 115 bodies in seats.

The number of students to actually submit a rank list was in the upper 80s. Of those, I think only 55 actually “matched” in either the AOA *or* the NRMP. The rest either scrambled or SOAPed. We had mamy students scramble into spots after the AOA match but before the NRMP. I think we had 14 SOAP after the AOA scramble and the NRMP match, but I could be slightly off.

So 55/115 students actually straight up “matched.”

Reactions: 7 users
Well, this is literally the first I've heard of this issue. I was put under the impression that if you got into a US school that attrition is relatively low and typically due to personal issues. Well, here's to hoping this doesn't happen to me as I plunge head first into six figure debt.

55/115 matched straight up...47.8%...that completely reprehensible on the part of the administration. I hear alot on here about the students, but there needs to be more onus is on the schools. By not sharing these risks and requesting 50k a year and life altering commitment from students, the schools at the very least need to meet their bare minimum obligation of producing a licensed physician.

55/115 matched straight up...47.8%...that completely reprehensible on the part of the administration. I hear alot on here about the students, but there needs to be more onus is on the schools. By not sharing these risks and requesting 50k a year and life altering commitment from students, the schools at the very least need to meet their bare minimum obligation of producing a licensed physician.
Isn't this the same school that has a $100 secondary application fee?

DO schools should always be a backup for anyone that wants to be a doctor,
Oh c'mon man...thats hyperbole.

So anyway, ACOM will graduate I believe 144 of 162 in a couple weeks. A couple straight out dismissed for professionalism reasons. Only one "resigned" for academic reasons.
Most of the rest had issues 1st semester and will graduate 2019.

Our match was pretty decent, good ACGME turnout. Those 1 or 2 who failed to match had/have levels still not passed at time of the match. I don't know the % of SOAP but we had a good number whiff on attempts for high end stuff and go another route.

Last edited:
Oh? I thought that school was considered a great DO school...

It has a good reputation, but I honestly don’t know what happened with my class. I know we had like a few holdovers from the class before us and we somehow accepted 2-3 transfers after 2nd year from other schools, but I don’t think we will break 150 still with those added in. Everyone I know that are no longer in my class each left for various issues: academic, medical, personal, board failures, etc., 2-3 people voluntarily dropped out after year 1 despite honoring every class just because they didn’t want to do it anymore.

Last edited: