What is your undergrad major? Why did you choose it?

carn311

Dead tired.
10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I've come to the point in my academic career where I must choose a major. Yet I just can't commit. I dont know what my problem is. I was gunho Biology untill I transfered to my 4-year and found out that their department stunk.

So, I turn to you SDN. What did you guys major in? Why? Do you have any regrets? Did you find any biases against or for your major during the admissions process?

PineappleGirl

Sweet and Juicy!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
Boston
Status
I majored in history because I did very well in it in high school and my high school advisor encouraged me to major in something that I loved and knew I could do well in. I certainly found my history classes to be completely fascinating and it was a good major for me in terms of allowing me to graduate with a high GPA.
However, having a history degree is not at all good when it comes to getting a job. I took a lotof psych courses in undergrad as well (almost had a minor in psych) and have been trying to get research assistant positions in psychiatry departments at med schools and hospitals here, but all to no avail. I wish I had majored in psych or bio or chem because I think it is much easier to get a research assistant or lab tech job with these majors.
On a random note, the other thing that bugs me about having a history degree is that every one keeps telling me to go to law school.

shantster

Eye protection!
10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Wherever life takes me...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
carn311 said:
I've come to the point in my academic career where I must choose a major. Yet I just can't commit. I dont know what my problem is. I was gunho Biology untill I transfered to my 4-year and found out that their department stunk.

So, I turn to you SDN. What did you guys major in? Why? Do you have any regrets? Did you find any biases against or for your major during the admissions process?
I'm a Bio major! And not just for getting into med school. I chose it because I love learning about life systems and how they work, and going through the coursebook, I knew that I would be able to take enough classes that I want to take to be able to fulfill a major in it without another science major. So I'm doing that with a chem minor and possibly a psych minor and/or a minor in the humanities.

wdarli

my puppy...bailey :o)
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
Galveston, TX
Status
Medical Student
I went to one of the best music schools in the country and graduated with a degree in Music Performance, Cello concentration........I did this while taking all the pre-reqs for med school...could have taken a couple more classes and ended up with a bio degree but decided to take the year off to work and volunteer in the children's hospital....all that being said, do what you love, it will show in your application and make a difference!

TexasSnow

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
Houston
Status
When choosing a major, consider the following:

a) do you like the major?
b) can you find employment with said major should you be rejected from med school?

That being said, a funky non-bio major easily breaks the ice during the interview. You're also more likely to stick out of the herd.

just my $0.02

Biscuit799

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
Status
I bounced around from major to major when I first came to college. I started out Bio, switched to Psych, added Chem, dropped Chem, then switched to Economics. I found I really like the analytical side of Econ, and I'm good at it. Also, physicians increasingly find themselves in financial pickles these days, and hopefully I'll be able to avoid these problems. Also, I'd like to head up a board in a hospital someday, and hopefully this will give me an edge. Point being, major in what you like. No matter what it is, you can use it in your practice of medicine. If you really want to practice medicine, you shouldn't have to think "what if i don't get into med school" but instead "how can i get into med school, even I get rejected first." It's a simple self-fulfilling prophecy.

Dr. AYY

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2004
Florida
Status
I chose Microbiology and Cell Sciences because I love science and the perk of fullfilling prereqs doing something I am interested in (which is my key point do whatever interests you most that way you will be happy in the classes you take).

10minutes

M.D.Candidate
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2004
Virginia
Status
Math/Physics because I love them... they are not very useful in med school tho...

sumfratrisamor

Registured User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
VA
Status
Well I was going to go Biology for a while too, but after listening to SDN I decided to major in what I wanted to do, what would provide the best alternative career in the case of rejection, and what was easy anyway: Electrical Engineering.

Sure, if you throw in pre-med courses I'll be graduating with ~156 credits instead of bio's 121, but I think it's worth it.

sumfratrisamor

Registured User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
VA
Status
TexasSnow said:
When choosing a major, consider the following:

a) do you like the major?
b) can you find employment with said major should you be rejected from med school?

That being said, a funky non-bio major easily breaks the ice during the interview. You're also more likely to stick out of the herd.

just my $0.02

AMEN!!
(i.e. - this gal knows what she's talking about)

BlueMagpie

Meladori
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2004
The Interstitium
Status
Cognitive Science, which is an interdisciplinary major. We had to take computer science, cognitive psychology, neuroscience, linguistics, and philosophy while focusing in one (I did neuro). I loved this major because I felt I was getting a good sampling of hard science, humanities and some social science. I believe it helped me to appreciate each part more than I would have, had I just done one non-ID major.

ibby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2004
Status
I did History. Although I at times wished I had chosen bio, I am happy that I did history. It was just sooo fascinating and a much needed relief from all the med pre-reqs. But at the same time, the med pre-reqs could be a relief from all the history classes. So i believe that both complemented one another very well. Also, yeah it is hard to find a job in the science field with a history degree, but the ad coms do like a change from the tons of bio majors they see. Thats my opinion for ya.

bjackrian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2004
Denver, CO
Status
Attending Physician
I did with religious studies with a minor in politics because of a combination of interest and great faculty. My school's religious studies faculty is amazing--they're great teachers and they're great people, plus, I have a lot of interest in the field, especially in theology and history of religion. The politics part was just to explore interests. If I (cross my fingers) get into Duke, I may use the politics in a Masters of Public Policy dual degree program, but if not, I still think it was valuable.

Definitely major in what you like or in a department where you like the profs and classes that are offered. Don't worry about people who say that you can't get into a decent medical school without majoring in biology or chemistry and spending all your time in a lab! Just my .02. :)

prettygirl1908

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
houston
studentorgs.utexas.edu
Status
I'm majoring in Bio, but if I could start all over I would have majored in Humanities or African American Studies or Plan II, something more liberal arts like! Bio is cool and I am fascinated by it, but I'm going to get tons of it in med school. I feel like by majoring in Bio I have missed the chance to fully explore some of my other passions in a university setting.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
Forensic Science

1. Easy
2. Fun
3. Impresses the ladies
4. Has premed core built in

ReadyToGo214

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
Status
I'm a sophomore in highschool and I just found this site. I'm in love with medicine and I'm excited/terrified to start with my undergrad years. this might sound like a dumb question but can anyone tell me what a scut monkey is?

SanDiegoSOD

Milk was a bad choice
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
Sunny California
Status
I'm a political science major. I entered school with the intent of majoring in biology, as I thought that all pre-meds had to major in bio. I changed my major to political science my sophomore year when I learned i could choose any major I wanted. I'm glad that I made the switch - the study of politics, while not only interesting, is becoming increasingly important as the government strengthens it's grip on socio-economic institutions such as medicine. I'd like to be involved with health policy in the future, and I think my background in polisci will help. :thumbup:

DVLDOC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
Status
Biochemistry/Molecular Biology because I could not finish my school's straight chemistry degree in three years. But if I was not already a nontrad student I would definitely have done chem.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status
Attending Physician
DVLDOC, why couldnt' you finish it in 3 years? I did it by doing gen chem (yr 1), ochem and pchem (yr 2), quant and biochem and adv. lab and instr.analysis (yr 3). Tossed in the physics in year 1 and I was already WAY ahead in math by testing out. (hmm.. perhaps answered my own question?)

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status
Attending Physician
Oh, BTW, I did a math/chemistry double major. I was just planning on the math degree, but after I took pchem for fun I kinda fell into the chem major too. Personally I found the chemistry WAY cooler in upper division than the upper division math classes.

scrappysurfer

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
San Diego, CA
Status
carn311 said:

I entered med school interested in the medical field, but not premed. I went for bioengineering (the real one, not the premed version). My original intention was to go into medical device development. I went premed after 4 years.

Downside: I graduated with 246 units in 5 years and low GPA. I still have 12 units of premed left. It was miserably difficult with a 70% dropout rate--no sleep for 5 years. There was little time to delve into some intersting topics as an undergrad. I would have loved a poli sci minor.

Upside: My degree is exceptionally useful for a physician. Bioeng was extremely interesting for me. Due to internship experience in medical devices I can genuinely tell a committee that I have tried a potentially more lucrative career and still choose medicine. The acceptance rate for bioengineers are nearly double that of bio, even though average GPA is MUCH lower due to prevalence of nasty calc, p-chem, mathematical physics, mech eng classes, ect. (a few stragglers had a 3.8, but GPA's more or less halted at 3.5).

Code Brown

Low man on the totem pole
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
Economics because it seemed like fun and sounded cool :thumbup: .

hb2998

10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Majoring in MIMG... Microbiology, Immunology, Molecular Genetics... don't tell me that doesn't sound hard!... Seriously though, I haven't taken too many upperdiv classes, so... don't know how hard it is!!... but for the meanwhile, I sound pretty smart :D :D. I heard the upperdivision classes wil make me wanna switch to bio :scared:!!

myodana

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
BX, NY
Status
Medical Student
double major in bio (with honors) and dance (performance concentration). and a minor in chemistry. i'm kind of a right brain/left brain person... i just coudn't decide.... :)

PremedISU

Beginning the journey
10+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2004
Indiana
Status
I am a chemistry and music double major with voice concentration. I chose chemistry over biology (I was going between the two after awhile) after I discovered that I enjoy chemistry more, and that I had great connections in the department and just generally enjoy myself more in the chem department than I do in the biology departments. Also, I was thinking about alternatives to med school, and I would rather do music, or do something with chemistry.

The music because it has been a part of me for almost my whole life, and as hard as I tried, I just couldn't let go of it when I got to college. This way I get complete fulfillment while I'm here.

Do what makes you happy. Get your med school reqs in, and keep med school in mind as far as GPA and preparation. Even though I'm not a biology major, I'm still taking some extra classes that are recommended for those that are taking the MCAT.

I know you've probably heard this before, but t choose a major that makes you happy, and if you don't know what that is yet, explore your interests and spend some time in each department that you're thinking about and get to know people. The answer will come soon.

tharealest

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2004
Status
Electrical engineering with the biomedical option is where its at. I guess I got interested in med school after I chose my major. And if med school doesn't work out for me, I can find a job quite easily.

ellia08

Medicine + Math = Awesome
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2004
the lab! yay!
Status
Medical Student
coming into college: english and ecology.
leaving college: math and molecular biology.

My philosophy for picking a major: Dont major in stuff you dont like. (sorry thats a lot of negatives in a sentance).

No matter what you choose, there will be frustrating times but if you generally enjoy the subject you will work harder, have more fun and be able to speak more passionately about it in interviews (not the main purpose of a major but it helps.)

You really can major in anything as a premed. Just whatever you pick, try to do it well and you'll be fine.

PS- math-bio is super awesome. I dont regret anything, not even advanced theoretical calculus (which is saying something considering that I did not begin to enjoy math untill college).

DarkFark

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Status
Medical Student
My major is neuroscience. I have no regrets in choosing it- it fascinating stuff, and one of, if not the, fastest growing fields in science, with great research opportunities. Also, all of the premedical prereqs are built in. The downside: it can be really tough, not to mention competitive- the big 'filter course' at the beginning gives out only 20% A's to a highly motivated group of people, and so forth. Hence, I think my GPA might have been higher elsewhere, but I would have gone with neuro anyway.

The human brain is the most complex piece of matter in the universe. Why settle for studying anything less?

Supernova

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2004
CA
Status
scrappysurfer said:
I entered med school interested in the medical field, but not premed. I went for bioengineering (the real one, not the premed version). My original intention was to go into medical device development. I went premed after 4 years.

Please enlighten me, what is the difference between the real bioengineering and the premed version?

Perrin

sittin in the morning sun
15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2004
The Porch
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I started in biochem/molecular biology b/c I loved biology (how things worked on a macro level) and chemistry (how they worked on a micro level). My second year I was seduced by the College of Architecture (creating things and working with my hands). That lasted for 4 years until I became disillusioned. Back to biochem/molecular bio, but I added microbiology this time around b/c a lot of molecular work is done using microbiology. | | this far away from a spanish minor...I lived in arizona and texas for a while.

cece

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
Cambridge, MA
Status
Biochemistry, because I loved it. Don't major in anything you don't like just "to get into medical school." You'll just be miserable in your classes, get worse grades and then maybe not get into medical school after all.

neoncandle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Marketing because I could get the degree in three years, get out into the real world and figure out what I really wanted to do. Also, I studied abroad in Spain for a semester.. so only 2.5 years of business classes. 'Twas quick and easy. I took all my pre-reqs together in one year when I went back.. that meant doubling up on chem and o-chem (plus physics and bio) and studying for the MCAT with it. Yeah.. I started out slackin', but I still made it.. even with a sub-par GPA.

Tiffany
UT Houston - Class of 2009

PineappleGirl

Sweet and Juicy!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
Boston
Status
I think this thread is super interesting so I'm bumping it up.

Any more humanities majors out there?

HrsNJ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
NJ
Status
Cell Bio/Neuroscience major...but with a minor and senior thesis in Art History. If I could do it all again, I would switch it around and major in the art history. Soooo fascinating...

I'm really sad that this semester will probably be my last time taking a formal course in art history. I'll just have to entertain myself with trips to foreign countries to check out their art, I guess. :)

watsupdoc15

schmidty
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
Kansas
Status
ReadyToGo214 said:
I'm a sophomore in highschool and I just found this site. I'm in love with medicine and I'm excited/terrified to start with my undergrad years. this might sound like a dumb question but can anyone tell me what a scut monkey is?

It's used in research mostly, i believe. It can also be used in practical setting I guess. But, basically it is someone who does the work that the person in charge, nor his colleagues (people higher on the food chain), want to do or "scut work". It's kind of "busy work" for the "monkey" who is eager to be a part of something, while gaining experience. It includes doing certain errands for the person(s) heading up the study or task, collecting data in a research setting...making the team's lives easier. Feel free to add if missed anything anybody.

watsupdoc15

schmidty
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
Kansas
Status
Oh yeah...my major is cell biology. I was origionally in exercise science, and it was too easy...so. But it's cell biology because after those exercise science courses I wanted to know more about biological systems than ex. sci. could offer; the real meat and potatoes of life if you will.

Crake

I drive a Dodge Stratus!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2004
RI
Status
Pre-Medical
Double majored in History and Political Science, minored in German. Now I have to do a post-bacc to finish the prereqs.

I don't regret having a non-science major. In fact, I've found many of the skills transferrable. For example, I had to learn how to do data analysis with SPSS and Excel as a Poli Sci major. In fact, political science is much more about statistics and data analysis than about current events--it's very empirical. These skills transfer easily to biomedical research--just being able to use SPSS and Excel will set you ahead of the masses. Also, history is so much more than the memorization of facts and figures that we all practiced in highschool--its really the study of the human condition; it's the study of the social, spiritual, and ideological side of humanity. Very applicable to medicine, in my opinion. Oh and studying a language is great, because once you know how to learn a foreign languauge, you can teach yourself others without needing schooling (plus German is just such a wonderful language).

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
carn311 said:

i majored in biotechnology with a minor in health, society, & illness. I picked biotech because i liked research and the uppper level bio and chem classes interested me.

golfboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status
I started out with computer engineering, then i switched to bioinformatics. I got a little bored with computer engineering, and decided it would be a pain in the arse if i wanted to finish the premed electives too. I'm pretty much on track with a few ap credits, but i won't be starting chem or biology until my sophomore year. Started physics 1 the second semester of my freshman year.

The hard part about bioinformatics will be doing good in the computer science courses. I'm already anticipating a higher science/math/biology gpa compared to my actual gpa. Next semester i need to decide if i want to take the plunge and do organic chemistry (skipping regular chem with a 4 on the ap exam), or just take regular chemistry over again. I'd save a lot of time if i did that, but i don't want to hurt my chances in the process.

So far it looks like bioinformatics, and i'd already have enough credits for a chemistry minor (with premed and requirements). I'd also be 6 credits short of a math minor, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it. Sure wouldn't hurt.

2badr

**Switch**
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2001
Eupora
Visit site
Status
I switched from Biology becasue I kept having conflicts with working and keeping up with the long lab hours. My job last year was not very flexible. :rolleyes:

I am an English major now because I am in love with Literature/Writing. However I also love Chemistry and Biology so after the summer I am switching back to Biology as a major with a double minor in English/Chemistry. I would have loved to have majored in Biochemistry or Molecular Biology but those majors are not offered at my school. It looks as if I can finish* it all by the fall of next year.

*Hopefully. :oops:

relema

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
H town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I got a degree in Microbiology. I started out in Molecular Biology because before I took genetics I thought working in forensics would be fun and I have always loved bio. Then I realized I didn't much care for molecular biology and genetics and all my elective bio's were microbiology so i switched to microbiolgy because infectious diseases and bacteria fascinate me.

CanuckRazorback

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2004
Hog Heaven
Status
Interdisciplinary health sciences for me. I knew I wanted to go into some sort of health sciences, but wasn't sure medicine was it. Along with pre-med reqs and upper level bio courses, I took med tech, nursing, pharmacy, speech path, nutrition, kinesiology, social work, and even a human dissection course. In the end, it just confirmed that I wanted to go into medicine but it was nice to eliminate all my other options.

Daichi Katase

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2004
Status
Bioengineering. I really like the research and technology aspect that goes along with it and i liked learning all the core engineering stuff. I am a junior now and i have a decent GPA.

2badr

**Switch**
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2001
Eupora
Visit site
Status
CanuckRazorback said:
Interdisciplinary health sciences for me. I knew I wanted to go into some sort of health sciences, but wasn't sure medicine was it. Along with pre-med reqs and upper level bio courses, I took med tech, nursing, pharmacy, speech path, nutrition, kinesiology, social work, and even a human dissection course. In the end, it just confirmed that I wanted to go into medicine but it was nice to eliminate all my other options.
I wanna come to your school! :cool: :D

CanuckRazorback

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2004
Hog Heaven
Status
2badr said:
I wanna come to your school! :cool: :D
:laugh: Well, if you can handle living in Laramie, Wyoming for more than 5 minutes, come on over! I lasted 2 years which was long enough to graduate and I'm from the city so anything is possible I guess!

Shrami

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
Status
I am currently a bio major, but I'll change it to biochemistry after this academic year. I basically want the best of both worlds - bio and chem.