what is...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwstranger

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the AOA, anyway? I'm not talking about the American Osteopathic Assn; I'm referring to what I think is an Honor Society for med students. So if anyone knows,

1. what does "AOA" stand for?
2. how does one become a member?
3. do you have any contact info (specifically websites)?
4. anything else I should know but forgot to ask?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

AOA is Alpha Omega Alpha, an honor society for medical students. Members of AOA are elected by the faculty and Jr. AOA members based on grades, service, and a whole bunch of mysterious stuff.

Getting AOA opens many, many doors to many competitive residencies.

Tim of New York City.

So what if my illustrious university does not have a chapter of AOA? Am I S.O.L.?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most medical schools have AOA chapters. If your school does not currently have an AOA chapter, I believe you can get your class together and petition the Dean to apply for an AOA charter.

I'm not exactly sure how it works.

Where do you currently attend?

Tim of New York City.

I'm at UAG... enough said?

Alpha Omega Alpha is for US LCME-accredited (allopathic) medical schools. You won't find chapters at osteopathic or foreign medical schools. So UAG, which I assume is Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara, would not qualify for an AOA chapter.

The osteopathic schools have their own AOA equivalent, but I forget the letters.

Tim of New York City.