What it takes to get to get into DO school (Especially Ohio U)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IceDoctor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am having a tough time of guaging where I stand in respect to applying to Osteopathic Medical schools. I was looking in the student handbook (provided by the AACOM) and they state the averages for the entering med class is 3.43 overall and a 3.36 science GPA. I have retaken and currently in the process of retaking classes so that my overall GPA can be above a 3.55 and a science GPA of 3.40. I am really interested in going to Ohio University, given that I am an Ohio resident and love their school to death. Being that they favor Ohio residents, what are my chances of getting accepted into medical school, especially Ohio University, given that I have a 24 or better of the MCATs, Letter of Recommendation from an Osteopathic Physician, and quality extracurriculars. Can anyone please share their experiences and what they did that personally thought it would take to get them in. Thanks a million everyone and HAPPY EASTER!! :p :D :) :wink:

Members don't see this ad.

I would get to know some of the students and ask them for some ideas. You should hang with some of the students and get to know some of the unique things about the school. Call and ask if you can come in and get someone to show you around. This gives you the opportunity to get your face seen and stand out!
Most importantly- Prepare for you interview day!

Hey Ice,

I'm currently a 1st year at OU-COM and would be happy to answer your questions and help in any way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Athens--

Does OU have a program where applicants come and hang out with med students for a day?

I'm applying to OU this application cycle...I too dearly love the school and I am an Ohio resident. Last summer I went down to OU and met with Mr. Schriner...He's wonderful!

Right now I'm just playing the waiting game...My overall GPA is 3.8, science is 3.5. I have my BS in Education, over 2 years volunteer experience in a local ER, an internship (over 150 hours) with a DO who is an clinical professor for OU, and 5 years with Special Olympics as a coach and unified partner.

Hopefully I have a good shot at getting in...

Hey AthensfromCols,

Thank you so much for your help and support. I am visiting Dr. Schriner on Friday as well as taking a tour of the campus. Can you give me any info on what pertinent questions I should ask with my session with Dr. Schriner? Furthermore, can you please share your stats and experiences that help qualify you for Ohio U. DO school? If is not also a burden on your behalf, I would like to maybe get together with some students such as yourself and others and talk about the DO experience on my visit Friday. Thanks for any help possible!! Happy Easter!