What its like at Western Podiatry from a first year student.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TimmyT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is it like as a student at Western University College of Podiatric Medicine?

Hey Pre-Podiatry Students, I am a first year podiatry student at Western University and I thought I would give you my honest opinion of what I think about my school including the good and the bad.

Location: Western University is located Pomona, Ca. The weather is amazing with the temperature being 75-80’s with no humidity. It rains maybe twice a month but it is usually a dry area. The city of Pomona itself is located in an area mostly with Hispanics in the lower income bracket. I live a mile away from school and haven’t had a problem other than my neighbors throwing fiestas on the weekends. The city of Pomona is surround by very nice areas like Chino Hills, Claremont, Diamond Bar, Rancho Cucamonga. Pomona is 30 minutes away from Orange County and 45 minutes from downtown L.A. I don’t suggest living too far away from campus because traffic could get really bad at times.

Overview of the University and all of its colleges: WesternU probably has almost every healthcare profession known. The programs that are offered here are Osteopathic Medicine (DO), Podiatry (DPM), Dental Medicine (DMD), Optometry (OD), Pharmacy (PharmD), Nursing, Veterinary (DVM), Physical Therpy (DPT), Physician Assistant (MSPA), and other Master’s programs. We have a class called Inter Professional Approach (IPE) where a member from every college sits down together in a small room with a facilitator to discuss cases. Sometimes it’s very interesting and sometimes I don’t want to be there because I have to catch up on other classes. But it’s a great way to meet people from other colleges and know what their profession is all about. The University just built the HEC and the Patient Care Center (PCC). All of our classes are in the HEC and it has about 40 study rooms with 42’ plasma TV’s in every room. There is always a security presence so I have never felt unsafe on campus.

Our Curriculum: At WesternU, we live and breathe Vision 2015 and our curriculum proves it. We take EVERY science class the medical students take with the EXACT same exam. Our curriculum is VERY intense because we have to take everything the medical students take plus our podiatry classes on top of that. All our podiatry classes are condense into one class called Principles of Podiatric Medicine (PMP). We first went through lower extremity anatomy, biomechanics, and radiology. After that, we broke out into small groups with a facilitator and work-up REAL cases that the faculty had. But before we go into small group discussions, the faculty writes a primer for us to read so we have background knowledge. For the cases, we have to work-up the cases by ourselves and the faculty will only guide us. For every case, we are expected to know what the patients presents clinically, describe the x-ray using medical terminology, what are the possible differentials for this patients, diagnostic tests to rule in or out certain differentials, risk factors, conservative treatment, surgical treatment, and any complications for the treatment we decide to do. They do really good job painting an overall big picture on what to expect on these cases they present. Our faculty just doesn’t lecture us and expect us to memorize it and spit it back out. They want us to think and also understand what anatomic structures are involved, how it affects biomechanics, and what it looks like radio-graphically.

Our faculty’s main goal is to really prepare us for residency and be one step ahead. Some of our faculty used to be residency directors and they know what to expect during residency. That is why after every PMP exam we have to give oral presentations in front of the class for a grade that are pertinent on the things we were just tested on. For our final cumulative PMP exam, it was broken down into two parts: a written section and an oral section. For the oral section, we had to sit down one-on-one with a faculty and they present us two cases where we have to work-up a patient from the start to end.

For our clinical rotations during our 3rd and 4th year, we are about to have our first class in the clinics next year. The core rotations are almost identical to the medical curriculum but we don’t take OB/GYN and Psychiatry. But we get 5 months of clerkships in podiatry. I believe most of our rotations are along with medical students. Here is a link about our curriculum. As you can see it is ALMOST IDENTICAL to the medical school but we still also have our podiatry classes.

Podiatry Curriculum:
http://prospective.westernu.edu/podiatry/curriculum

D.O. Curriculum:
http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic/welcome

Just keep in mind the main goal for Vision 2015 is to have parity with MD/DO colleagues. Here at Western we take everything medical students take and therefore have EARNED the respect of the medical students here. At first it was kind of though earning the respect of our D.O. colleagues because they didn’t know anything about podiatry. But once they found that we take everything they take with the same exam they consider us as EQUALS.

Negative: The only thing bad thing about this school is that it is a new school and it isn’t accredited yet. But we recently had the accreditation committee visit our school and our clinical rotation sites and they were very pleased. Since it is a new school, there were initially kinks that had to be fixed. Most of it has been fixed but not all of it. I truly believe accreditation won’t be an issue. Western is too good to fail.

If you have any questions, you can PM me.

Timmy T.

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for the insight. It sounds like a completely different experience than mine (so far). Lets hope DMU students and Western students get the same residencies so we can see how everything adds up.

Hey Airbud, I have a quick question. Do DMU students take ALL the classes first and second year with the D.O.? Or do you guys take all the classes the first year? At Western we take everything first and second year with the D.O. except OMM (their Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine course)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Good post TimmyT!

As another 1st year student at Western, I would like to add a bit more to what TimmyT has already said. We have a course called ECM (essentials of clinical medicine) in which we have about 10 encounters per semester with a standardized patient. They come in with some ailment and we have to do a history/physical and workup with labs/tests and treatment. These aren't necessarily podiatry related as some of the cases this year were diagnosing peptic ulcers, diabetes, DVT, and Bell's palsy just to name a few. This gives us a very strong foundation in medicine and will be of great benefit during rotations and residency. We also have to present the case as if we were on rounds.

The curriculum is strenuous but we feel it is the best way to keep in line with 2015. Podiatry's biggest problem is that we are unknown to others in the health provider community. We are known as the foot and ankle guys but most MD's/DO's don't know our level of education, training, etc. Working alongside our DO colleagues will only benefit us in the long run as they become a large part of our referral base and they can feel confident sending their patients to us.

There is a lot of negativity on here about Western, mostly from people that have no idea what they are talking about. Given the option again, I would pick Western. If you are coming here next year, I can't wait to meet you. All the ones coming to interview soon, good luck and relax- you will do fine. The interviews are super chill and relaxed. Be yourself and do most of the talking.

As TimmyT said, if you have any questions feel free to post up or pm me.

Last edited:
Thank you TimmyT and zane870 for the input, can't wait to meet you and the rest of the crew in August!

This post is not meant to be disrespectful.

I have read on here from several posts how much harder the DPM program is compared to the DO program because of the extra course load.

Do you think its really a benefit to have that much more coursework in the same amount of time? I know im working my butt off right now and could not imagine much more. Im not trying to sound lazy, but there is a saturation point (at least for me) in your ability to really learn new material... as opposed to high quantities which forces the memorize and dump style. I take ~20-25 credits of science courses/semester. I could not imagine really getting a strong grasp of the material if I had to take any more. I know western approaches learning with a different style, but Academic burnout and "memorize and dump" seems much more likely with that amount of course work.

How many have dropped out of western? From SDN "stories" it seems like quite a few could not cut it. I know the common response will be "western is not for everyone" but im really curious how others in the program feel about the course work load and whether or not it is working for them.

btw I think the problem based learning is an excellent teaching model. I wish the school I attend did this more.

Hey dyk343,

You ask a really good question. How can you really cram all the information in that short period of time? The answer is that you become a more efficient student and you don't have that much free time. The students who got kicked out for academic reasons are students who didn't have strong study habits and didn't adjust to the course load. Having several hours of free time a day is a luxury and studying on the weekends to keep up with the material is a MUST. Students coming to Western next year should expect to give up their weekends to study. All our tests are clinically based questions mostly consisting of second or third order questions. Knowing the information is the easy part. Appling it clinically is the hard part. Yes, there are a lot times that I do feel burnt out, but I just take a break . Then I get back to studying because I know my fellow classmates are in the same boat. It's weird how you get the motivation to study when you know your classmates are studying equally hard. So far there are 6 students who left for academic reasons because they were not up to Western's standards. Just because it is a new school, it doesn't mean the faculty will pass everyone. Western has high standards and if you are not willing to live up to it, they will dismiss you. Only the strong survive here. As for the ex-western student who keeps posting bad things on SDN, I'm sorry you didn't live up to Western's standards. But I think you're better off spending your time learning how to become a more efficient student instead of bashing our school.

Timmy T

I really do think it is beneficial to have a COMPLETE medical education especially if we are going to be rotating with medical students. Podiatry is trying to gain parity with the DO's/MD's and if we are lacking in any area, how are we suppose to prove that we are EQUALS? You can't have your cake and eat it too. Right now we are taking 40 credits but we started this semester on Jan.3 and it ends on June 13th.

Having several hours of free time a day is a luxury and studying on the weekends to keep up with the material is a MUST. Students coming to Western next year should expect to give up their weekends to study.
Thanks for your reply TimmyT. Western sounds like a good school. Im curious how everything works out in the long run though with the overboard curriculum.

One point I would like to make is that the above will be true for any school. Free time is a luxury that I miss all so much!

I agree with you dyk343, I wish I was still back in undergrad. Life was more simple back then.

I feel the problem based learning (PBL) style really does help to ease academic burnout. I don't sit in lecture all day long. It is more of an interactive learning style. For me that means less burnout and more retention.

We recently just finished our pediatric course. For it we went back to the traditional lecture style of classes for 2 weeks. It wasn't a hard class (class average was 89%), but everyone sure started to feel the burnout. We had pop quizzes in lecture, so we had to stay. It was hard sitting through all the lectures and then having to come home and study afterwards. I would way rather have the PBL style of learning.

Western does cram a lot in the first 2 years. I am not sure how other schools do this, but we don't have any classes 3rd and 4th year -it's all rotations, including 5 clerkships. Also, you do get a couple months off in the summer between 1st and 2nd, which was fantastic.

The curriculum is challenging, but very doable -if you can learn to apply yourself. I have noticed that there have been 2 types of students that fail classes. Those that fail, get down on themselves, don't correct what is going wrong, and fail again or fail remediation. And those that fail, take a good look at what went wrong, meet with their faculty advisors, meet with the academic counseling department, and get quickly back on track.

I think TimmyT had a good observation, you can't just memorize the stuff. Test questions are case based -2nd and 3rd order- you have to know how to apply what you have learned to get the question right. You can't just regurgitate info and expect to pass. You also can't sluff off on any subject. To correctly answer a lot of the harder 3rd order questions, you need to have clinical, microbiology, and pharm knowledge to solve one question.

What is it like as a student at Western University College of Podiatric Medicine?

Hey Pre-Podiatry Students, I am a first year podiatry student at Western University and I thought I would give you my honest opinion of what I think about my school including the good and the bad.

Location: Western University is located Pomona, Ca. The weather is amazing with the temperature being 75-80’s with no humidity. It rains maybe twice a month but it is usually a dry area. The city of Pomona itself is located in an area mostly with Hispanics in the lower income bracket. I live a mile away from school and haven’t had a problem other than my neighbors throwing fiestas on the weekends. The city of Pomona is surround by very nice areas like Chino Hills, Claremont, Diamond Bar, Rancho Cucamonga. Pomona is 30 minutes away from Orange County and 45 minutes from downtown L.A. I don’t suggest living too far away from campus because traffic could get really bad at times.

Overview of the University and all of its colleges: WesternU probably has almost every healthcare profession known. The programs that are offered here are Osteopathic Medicine (DO), Podiatry (DPM), Dental Medicine (DMD), Optometry (OD), Pharmacy (PharmD), Nursing, Veterinary (DVM), Physical Therpy (DPT), Physician Assistant (MSPA), and other Master’s programs. We have a class called Inter Professional Approach (IPE) where a member from every college sits down together in a small room with a facilitator to discuss cases. Sometimes it’s very interesting and sometimes I don’t want to be there because I have to catch up on other classes. But it’s a great way to meet people from other colleges and know what their profession is all about. The University just built the HEC and the Patient Care Center (PCC). All of our classes are in the HEC and it has about 40 study rooms with 42’ plasma TV’s in every room. There is always a security presence so I have never felt unsafe on campus.

Our Curriculum: At WesternU, we live and breathe Vision 2015 and our curriculum proves it. We take EVERY science class the medical students take with the EXACT same exam. Our curriculum is VERY intense because we have to take everything the medical students take plus our podiatry classes on top of that. All our podiatry classes are condense into one class called Principles of Podiatric Medicine (PMP). We first went through lower extremity anatomy, biomechanics, and radiology. After that, we broke out into small groups with a facilitator and work-up REAL cases that the faculty had. But before we go into small group discussions, the faculty writes a primer for us to read so we have background knowledge. For the cases, we have to work-up the cases by ourselves and the faculty will only guide us. For every case, we are expected to know what the patients presents clinically, describe the x-ray using medical terminology, what are the possible differentials for this patients, diagnostic tests to rule in or out certain differentials, risk factors, conservative treatment, surgical treatment, and any complications for the treatment we decide to do. They do really good job painting an overall big picture on what to expect on these cases they present. Our faculty just doesn’t lecture us and expect us to memorize it and spit it back out. They want us to think and also understand what anatomic structures are involved, how it affects biomechanics, and what it looks like radio-graphically.

Our faculty’s main goal is to really prepare us for residency and be one step ahead. Some of our faculty used to be residency directors and they know what to expect during residency. That is why after every PMP exam we have to give oral presentations in front of the class for a grade that are pertinent on the things we were just tested on. For our final cumulative PMP exam, it was broken down into two parts: a written section and an oral section. For the oral section, we had to sit down one-on-one with a faculty and they present us two cases where we have to work-up a patient from the start to end.

For our clinical rotations during our 3rd and 4th year, we are about to have our first class in the clinics next year. The core rotations are almost identical to the medical curriculum but we don’t take OB/GYN and Psychiatry. But we get 5 months of clerkships in podiatry. I believe most of our rotations are along with medical students. Here is a link about our curriculum. As you can see it is ALMOST IDENTICAL to the medical school but we still also have our podiatry classes.

Podiatry Curriculum:
http://prospective.westernu.edu/podiatry/curriculum

D.O. Curriculum:
http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic/welcome

Just keep in mind the main goal for Vision 2015 is to have parity with MD/DO colleagues. Here at Western we take everything medical students take and therefore have EARNED the respect of the medical students here. At first it was kind of though earning the respect of our D.O. colleagues because they didn’t know anything about podiatry. But once they found that we take everything they take with the same exam they consider us as EQUALS.

Negative: The only thing bad thing about this school is that it is a new school and it isn’t accredited yet. But we recently had the accreditation committee visit our school and our clinical rotation sites and they were very pleased. Since it is a new school, there were initially kinks that had to be fixed. Most of it has been fixed but not all of it. I truly believe accreditation won’t be an issue. Western is too good to fail.

If you have any questions, you can PM me.

Timmy T.
hi there,
im also going to be a first year student at Western :) im kinda nervous about school. I have question about class schedule? Could you please post how it look like for the first semester? Thanks.

hi there,
im also going to be a first year student at Western :) im kinda nervous about school. I have question about class schedule? Could you please post how it look like for the first semester? Thanks.

You realize this thread is really old right? The OP already graduated. Go to Western's website and look for the class schedule.

hi Zilla,
I already have the class schedule but it is not in detail like how the registration like? IS it like undergrad when u pick your own classes as soon as you finish the courses requirement? I really confused :(
I looked for posts too but i did not find something related.

hi Zilla,
I already have the class schedule but it is not in detail like how the registration like? IS it like undergrad when u pick your own classes as soon as you finish the courses requirement? I really confused :(
I looked for posts too but i did not find something related.

I don't go to Western so I don't know. If you are really curious you can contact the school but I'm sure you'll find out as time gets closer. If it's anything like DMU, it is not like undergrad where you have to choose the classes and time that fits your schedule. There is only one schedule and every first year has that same schedule, with the exception of labs, but those are all assigned.