• It's our birthday!

Thank you to all our members and donors for supporting us for since 1999.

what job before applying?

One By One

10+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2010
East
  1. Pre-Dental
    I just finished my Ph.D. in biomedical research, and plan to take MCAT April 2014 and apply this June. I want to find a job that will help me on my application. What do you all think is the best thing for me to do to increase my chances? I am considering of getting trained and work as a EMT, or scribe (I am not be able to find a spot), or postdoc, or there is something else better. I only have 200 hours hospital volunteer back at 2009 and about to shadow two doctors. Thanks!

Amygdarya

10+ Year Member
    Feb 14, 2009
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      I just finished my Ph.D. in biomedical research, and plan to take MCAT April 2014 and apply this June. I want to find a job that will help me on my application. What do you all think is the best thing for me to do to increase my chances? I am considering of getting trained and work as a EMT, or scribe (I am not be able to find a spot), or postdoc, or there is something else better. I only have 200 hours hospital volunteer back at 2009 and about to shadow two doctors. Thanks!
      Get a job that is consistent with your story. I.e., if you're going to sell your research experience as an advantage in your medical school application/if you're going to apply to research-oriented schools, get a solid research job and be productive there. You can do hospital and non-clinical volunteering in your free time (as most people do anyway). I don't mean to offend anyone, but becoming a scribe or something along these line (a job that doesn't require much training and doesn't assume any intellectual contribution on your part) is kind of a step down for someone with a PhD and may raise some eyebrows. If you want to do something clinically related, consider clinical research. I don't know what your background is in exactly, but depending on it and on the people you know, you may get a clinical research job that will provide both clinical exposure and opportunities for productive research. (Not to mention a research job will pay a bit more than a scribe job; even if you don't care about money, keep in mind that the application process itself is very expensive.)
      If, on the other hand, you want to quit research altogether - then sure, get a lower level hospital job and prove it to adcoms that you're so committed to medicine you're eager to start from scratch.
      My point is: having a consistent story is helpful for your application, and, while clinical exposure is required, having a clinical job is not - you can satisfy that requirement by continuing your hospital volunteering, while strengthening other parts of your application/story. Oh, and 200 hospital volunteer hours are not bad at all :)

Last edited:
      About the Ads
      This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.