What job looks best for Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woltej1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a major upgrade to my application this cycle was getting a job as a clinical scribe in an ED/hospitalist setting, at least I think it is. I cannot really imagine another job that provides such great first hand experience, but is it really that much of a boost as I think it is?

Members don't see this ad.

Any kind of respected service profession... armed forces, Teach for America, etc. Stocking shelves at Target not so much.

Scribing rocks! However, I don't know how much of a boost you think it is, so I can't make an assessment there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it will give you a pretty significant boost--gives you tons of clinical experience, and shows that you can responsibly manage your time and be professional enough to hold a job while maintaining your other responsibilities. Congrats on the position, it certainly won't hurt your application, that's for sure! Albeit, it is not the most *unique* position for a pre-med to have, but I think scribe jobs are popular for a reason because they can attest to your commitment to the profession, and it also sounds like really enjoyable work. Best of luck to you!

Everyone and their mother does entry-level clinical work these days, whether it be EMT, CNA, ED tech, phlebotomist, scribe, etc... It's best to focus on your studies and get the highest grades possible. Clinical jobs, unlike volunteering, require a significant time commitment. If this time commitment ends up biting into your study time and your stats tank, then you'll be in trouble. If you have a poor GPA and MCAT, then entry-level clinical work which is commonly seen by ADCOMs will not help you.

Now I realize that some people want to make money, but the money you earn from these jobs is ultimately pocket change compared to future earnings. Also, if you do manage to screw the pooch on your grades and MCAT. You might need to take an additional year off (one year of potentially lost earnings) or do an SMP which will cost tens of thousands of dollars. The chump change you'd make is not worth it.

What you should do is volunteering. Volunteering is a minimal commitment, and will give you what you need to get into medical school. Now I realize people will say that you can do so much more in an entry-level clinical job that goes way beyond what you'd get out of volunteering, but look at it this way, you have the rest of your life to be a doctor and experience all of these great things (on a much grander level).

If I were you, I would stick to doing your best in school/prepping for the MCAT, volunteering, and enjoying the best years of your life before embarking on the life-changing experience of medical school. You won't likely have time to enjoy life once you start medical school, so enjoy it now. If you want a job or need to make money, do something non-clinical. It may be more unique, and service jobs like waiting or food delivery can make you more money with a minimal commitment. I did pizza delivery in college (once a week or two times max, it never conflicted with schoolwork), and had fun stuff to talk about in job interviews (I'm a non-trad), and with medical school.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Clinical research, as a research assistant, or a research coordinator is also a decent job to have during a gap year. Depending on the job/PI, there is usually opportunity to get published and a great way to get into research if you didn't have the chance in undergrad.

I worked for 5 years in retail and customer service (Target, Wal-Mart etc.). Medical schools loved it because I balanced those responsibilities with coursework and research throughout undergrad.