What job to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReInventor

Burnt toast?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may need to choose between a job as a medical scribe and a job as a research assistant on a psychiatry project after undergrad graduation.

If I already have a lot of research experience (several years) but less clinical experience (like 16 hr. shadowing, 50 hrs. volunteering), which of these choices would make me more competitive for post-bac program admission? I feel like the research job might be a better fit for me personally.

My professor thinks the research job would show more commitment (sticking with what I've been doing).

Members don't see this ad.

I may need to choose between a job as a medical scribe and a job as a research assistant on a psychiatry project after undergrad graduation.

If I already have a lot of research experience (several years) but less clinical experience (like 16 hr. shadowing, 50 hrs. volunteering), which of these choices would make me more competitive for post-bac program admission? I feel like the research job might be a better fit for me personally.

My professor thinks the research job would show more commitment (sticking with what I've been doing).
If your eventual goal is to get into a medical school, it will benefit you to have a stronger clinical experience, and scribing is one of the best quality patient-exposure activities you could have (as it has embedded shadowing, too). Having two years of research experience already puts you well above average for the typical applicant.