What jobs make more than doctors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snoopy92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone always says not to go into medicine for money because there are better ways to make money. I agree that going into medicine for the money or prestige would be one of the worst decisions ever but I'm curious to know what the other professions these days are that will make more than a medical doctor. Some people say engineers and some say business, however, the only field in business I can see actually beating out a doctor is investment banking. Even then, they have to work an absurd amount of hours.

Members don't see this ad.

I think there are few jobs that make a guaranteed annual salary higher than a doctor, however there are many ways people make tons of money in business through investments.

So I guess it comes down to what you're really asking. Doctors are probably amongst the tops in terms of guaranteed salary, but when people say you make more money in business they are really talking about the 'potential' through investing/deals/starting a company etc. rather than a standard salaried position for a corporation or bank or whatever. For example, as a doctor you might make 175k per year but in 'business' you could be a CEO pawn stuck at 60K a year salary, invest in a new product or something and make 300k off of a deal, or create the next facebook/google and become multimillionaire.

Just my thoughts, I'm not an expert by any means. I just think people are talking about different things... guaranteed salaries vs. business potential. Business is a pretty loose term I think.

Reactions: 5 users
Law, if you are a good/well-connected lawyer.

Business, if you get lucky.

Finance, if you get into Wall St.

Other than that, nothing. People overstimate how much other professions make. The vast, vast majority of MBAs, accountants, engineers and lawyers make a good middle/upper middle wage salary (eg 75-150k/year).

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Being a Goldman Sachs "Super Employee."

Reactions: 1 users
Anything really, if you are really good at it.
I can assure you I know of a few Auto Mechanics that would make more than a doctor. But rest assured that they work for companies like Bently and Bugatti.
If you are good at what you do, the money will come.
And if all you care about is money then there are far more easier ways of doing that then going to med school.

Law, if you are a good/well-connected lawyer.

Business, if you get lucky.

Finance, if you get into Wall St.

Other than that, nothing. People overstimate how much other professions make. The vast, vast majority of MBAs, accountants, engineers and lawyers make a good middle/upper middle wage salary (eg 75-150k/year).

There are many unemployed lawyers nowadays. But yes, I agree.

open 2-3 mcdonalds and you'll pull in 300k+

So wouldn't any of those professions that rack in upper middle class wages make more than a doctor considering a doctor has to work ~50-60 hours a week and makes just as much with more debt?

Reactions: 1 user
So wouldn't any of those professions that rack in upper middle class wages make more than a doctor considering a doctor has to work ~50-60 hours a week and makes just as much with more debt?

Most people work 50-60 hours a week anyway these days so they can maintain job security or make ends meet. Most 9-5 jobs usually don't pull in upper middle class wages.(100-200k). I am saying MOST jobs, not working at google, livingsocial, engineers, or anything like that.

Depending on what specialty you choose,how hard you work, location, and other factors, a doctor could earn anywhere from 120k - 2 mill a year.

When it comes to money and job stability, being a doctor is a great profession. You see lawyers and people in finance either 1)not getting a job or 2) stuck at their job because there are no jobs available to further their career. Most people are also pursuing higher degrees like a masters to just be competative. This plus undergrad will put them in debt as well, with no guarantee of a job.

Everyone always says not to go into medicine for money because there are better ways to make money.
When people say "don't go into medicine for the money", they don't mean "you won't make good money if you go into medicine" or "there are jobs that pay better than medicine". They mean "you'll be totally miserable if you go into medicine for the money and it won't be worth it."

Anything really, if you are really good at it.
I can assure you I know of a few Auto Mechanics that would make more than a doctor. But rest assured that they work for companies like Bently and Bugatti.
If you are good at what you do, the money will come.
And if all you care about is money then there are far more easier ways of doing that then going to med school.

You can find outliers in every profession. The thing is that the norm for doctors is much higher than any other profession.

And secondly, if you want to make the big bucks, you have to put the work in. Very, very few professions work 40 hrs/week and pull in big money. You think big shot CEOs and lawyers and MBAs got to where they are by working 40 hours a week? They worked their asses off big time. To make partner as a lawyer, you need to put in 80-100 hour weeks. To make a company succeed, even a convienance store, you need to put in 80-100 hours a week. It's only after decades of this level of work that you can sit back and reap the benefits.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had a few business majors at my school discover that I'm pre-med. I had calculus with a couple of them.

They would say to me "I can make double what you'll make as a doctor by the time I'm 25".

A simple reply of "Is that why you're a business major?" Shuts them up.

Reactions: 2 users
I've had a few business majors at my school discover that I'm pre-med. I had calculus with a couple of them.

They would say to me "I can make double what you'll make as a doctor by the time I'm 25".

They can... Will they? :laugh:... No.

Very few of those business students will make more than doctors will.

Last edited:
DENTISTS.

Even going by the conservative surveys, they make an average of 150k for a 35 hours a week. That is more per hour than the large majority of physicians.

DENTISTS.

Even going by the conservative surveys, they make an average of 150k for a 35 hours a week. That is more per hour than the large majority of physicians.

Okay, but you go look at teeth 35 hours a week and tell me how long it takes before you want to jump off a bridge.

Reactions: 17 users
DENTISTS.

:thumbup:. And no residency required to become a general dentist.

3-4 year oral surgery residency = atleast 100-150k more than that.

Okay, but you go look at teeth 35 hours a week and tell me how long it takes before you want to jump off a bridge.

I'd rather look at teeth or feet for 40 hours a week than give power point presentations and discuss tactics on how to expand the market. Bleh.

A really good lawyer or businessman in America will always make bank.

Not everyone can be really good though. Medicine is stable and the pay is generally guaranteed.

going into medicine for the money or prestige would be one of the worst decisions ever

I'm not sure why people parrot this
.... medicine does entail money and prestige...

Actuarial fellows are very well paid. Becoming one, though, is probably more intellectually challenging than becoming (the average) doctor...

Last edited:
Actually I hear it's the spinal surgeons that make the most: orthopedics and neurosurgery.

Pretty sure it was a reference to The Graduate, but I think you're right nevertheless.

Finance is appealing to people because of the prospect of unlimited potential. There aren't many doctors on the Forbes 500 billionaire list, but there are tons of MBAs. Successful private equity financiers and venture capitalists garner ridiculous wealth and power no physician could dream of acquiring.

But what doctors give up in terms of earnings potential they make up for in stability and high average salary.

Finance is appealing to people because of the prospect of unlimited potential. There aren't many doctors on the Forbes 500 billionaire list, but there are tons of MBAs. Successful private equity financiers and venture capitalists garner ridiculous wealth and power no physician could dream of acquiring.

But what doctors give up in terms of earnings potential they make up for in stability and high average salary.

True. Singers and actors make a lot as well, does that mean you're going to make a lot if you become one? Probably not, it takes a lot of skill, luck, etc.

Most of those professions have a huge range. You can find the middle manager pulling in 80k to the CFO pulling 8 million. Of course, you only know about the successes, such as the Forbes 500. You never hear a piece about the vast majority of MBAs making decent wages.

Doctors have a lower ceiling but a much higher floor.

People always try to paint medicine as too extreme and not worth the compensation. Unless you are extremely lucky, nothing in this world is going to pay you great unless you work hard. So if you want to make money and are interested in medicine, just do it.

I have the best idea yet.

Be a doctor. Your salary will be higher than the vast majority of other professions. Then INVEST like others do in the business world. Open a business, invest in stocks, etc. Then you get the best of both worlds and you win. That's what I will be doing.

I heard about this nephrologist in CA who owns 7 dialysis clinics. He is making millions.

Whenever a pre-med criticizes the dental profession, it almost always involves the monotony of "looking at teeth all day." Well, duh, that's what a dentist does. I think you can logically infer that if one is a dentist, they are content with "looking at teeth all day." It's really not a surprise...so why is it considered a "negative" among most pre-meds? :confused:

Conversely, I'd rather look at teeth than a scrotum with gangrene.

Reactions: 7 users
Pharmacy... It can easily become a 6 figure salary and if you start your own pharmacy, you can rake in hundreds of thousands of dollars. My neighbors are pharmacists (both husband and wife) and own their own pharmacy. They are filthy rich. I think they said once that they make about half a million dollars a year from their business (although I don't know if that's somewhat exaggerated, but they definitely have a lot of dough).

Whenever a pre-med criticizes the dental profession, it almost always involves the monotony of "looking at teeth all day." Well, duh, that's what a dentist does. I think you can logically infer that if one is a dentist, they are content with "looking at teeth all day." It's really not a surprise...so why is it considered a "negative" among most pre-meds? :confused:

Conversely, I'd rather look at teeth than a scrotum with gangrene.

A dental career in Oral Maxillofacial Surgery would be a pretty nice gig. :thumbup:

Pharmacy... It can easily become a 6 figure salary and if you start your own pharmacy, you can rake in hundreds of thousands of dollars. My neighbors are pharmacists (both husband and wife) and own their own pharmacy. They are filthy rich. I think they said once that they make about half a million dollars a year from their business (although I don't know if that's somewhat exaggerated, but they definitely have a lot of dough).

I thought about pharmacy until I started working as a pharmacy technician.

The pharmacists work insane hours. They come in at 7:30 AM and work until 11 PM. 3-4 days a week they do this. and the job can be very stressful.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, there are some registered nurses that make more than doctors.

Lol that you think half a million a year is "filthy rich". Yes, it's a good combined salary to bring home but after you account for cost of living (maybe it's the east coast or cali or the south? I have no idea and I don't care), possibly multiple children, feeding and clothing those children, mortgage and car payments, putting a fraction of that money into retirement accounts, savings accounts, etc, you will find that the filthy rich salary is ok at best if you're planning on living really well and having nice things or quite exceptional if you live within your means and don't have any debt (and very few professionals don't in this day and age). Just some food for thought that's all.

Lol that you think half a million a year is "filthy rich". Yes, it's a good combined salary to bring home but after you account for cost of living (maybe it's the east coast or cali or the south? I have no idea and I don't care), possibly multiple children, feeding and clothing those children, mortgage and car payments, putting a fraction of that money into retirement accounts, savings accounts, etc, you will find that the filthy rich salary is ok at best if you're planning on living really well and having nice things or quite exceptional if you live within your means and don't have any debt (and very few professionals don't in this day and age). Just some food for thought that's all.

"ok at best" lol oh SDN. you're saying $500k/year is not filthy rich? Have you ever known someone that brings in this much in real life? If you're smart that can be used to make more.

"ok at best" lol oh SDN. you're saying $500k/year is not filthy rich? Have you ever known someone that brings in this much in real life? If you're smart that can be used to make more.

*insert highly biased anecdote here*

Yes I do. The 2 people that brought me into this world and are making sure that I graduate without any debt. Get your head out of the clouds for a moment. When you take a step back, 500K a year is not filthy rich. It is at the top range of upper middle class. High level pro athletes that make 10-30 million a year? CEOs? They are the wealthy ones. Eli Manning could retire right now and be fine for the rest of his life. Tom Brady tore his ACL once and did not work (play football) for an entire year and he still brought home millions. If my parents were injured and were unable to work for a year, we would be screwed to say the least. You're acting like a mid 6 figure salary is an unobtainable sum.

Half a million is a lot of money.

/end this pointless argument

Reactions: 3 users
Orthodontist, spend 30 seconds to 1 minute every 5 minutes in someones mouth and you talk to people the rest of the time. If you're good and find an area in need of one the earning potential is ridiculous.

Why do pre-meds always pull this card? Believe it or not, pre-dents go into this field because they want to look at teeth. Being a dentist is 2x less stressful than the average family care physician. This is based on the dentists I've shadowed and how they pity their med colleagues.
Orthodontist, spend 30 seconds to 1 minute every 5 minutes in someones mouth and you talk to people the rest of the time. If you're good and find an area in need of one the earning potential is ridiculous.
Orthodontists/oral surgeons make so much bank, it is, in fact, ridiculous. One ortho I know makes at 1m/year. Owns a practice, hires assistants with no degree to do band/wire replacing/attaching and gives them all an amusing paycheck. Both residencies are as competitive as neuro/derma though.

Yes I do. The 2 people that brought me into this world and are making sure that I graduate without any debt. Get your head out of the clouds for a moment. When you take a step back, 500K a year is not filthy rich. It is at the top range of upper middle class. High level pro athletes that make 10-30 million a year? CEOs? They are the wealthy ones. Eli Manning could retire right now and be fine for the rest of his life. Tom Brady tore his ACL once and did not work (play football) for an entire year and he still brought home millions. If my parents were injured and were unable to work for a year, we would be screwed to say the least. You're acting like a mid 6 figure salary is an unobtainable sum.

It sounds like your parents don't know how to manage money well.

Reactions: 9 users

I am sure that you're the one with your head in the clouds. Since you were born in a fortunate situation you think that a lot of people pull in that kind of money every year. 500K a year is without a doubt an upper class status, nowhere near the middle of what people usually make per year. Those CEOs, actors, athletes that are pulling in millions are way beyond this level of classification.

I am sure that you're the one with your head in the clouds. Since you were born in a fortunate situation you think that a lot of people pull in that kind of money every year. 500K a year is without a doubt an upper class status, nowhere near the middle of what people usually make per year. Those CEOs, actors, athletes that are pulling in millions are way beyond this level of classification.

Making 500k in LA is not the same as 500k in Dallas and is not the same as 500k in Durham, NC.