What kind of bag do you have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I've been searching for a good, sturdy bag that for carrying my books, junk, and my laptop (I have a small Mac Air) or iPad securely. Also, I'd like it to be able to smoothly transition from class to internship and wherever else the wind may take me.

What kind of bag are you using? How's it working out for you?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a Kenneth Cole Reaction backpack that I love. It has 5 or 6 completely seperate compartments, one of which is perfect for securely storing my laptop, the rest let me store the things I need by site. It really is incredibly well designed for organizing your stuff. The only downside is that it was a bit pricey.

Buy a Timbuk2 and be the envy of everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Leather or canvas/treated canvas should work well; I prefer leather. KC..is well made for a 'fashion' brand. I used mine every day for 5+ yrs and it still looks great. It was a pretty safe/boring design, but it held everything I needed, and can be found easily at an outlet place for 40-50% off. I then went to a more rustic leather messenger bag from a mom & pop artisan/leather shop. You may want to check out Rustic Leather: http://www.rusticleather.com/index.html. They craft a relatively affordable bag. I was in the market last year and the guy who owns RL seemed to genuinely care about his products...for what that's worth. I went with a non-leather bag, otherwise I'd probably buy one of his bags.

Timbuk2 will have a younger outdoorsy/active look,and they are built to last. I bought one of their larger messenger bags (w. extra padding) to lug around some camera stuff, and it has worked like a champ. I think they are a bit too college/hipster, but I still love the quality of it. Crumpler also makes some nice gear (gilt.com has some bags on sale this weekend). There are some other "fashion" brands out there that made a decent bag: Ben Sherman, Ferragamo ($$), CK, etc.

Last edited:
I use 2 bags, a standard leather laptop-sized bag for days that I have to carry a lot with me, and a Fossil KeyPer plastic-coated canvas tote for the days I need a few books,my ipad, or just my laptop...

http://www.fossil.com/webapp/wcs/st...atalogId=25005&partNumber=ZB5232P&cm_vc=PDPZ1

I take public transportation and really appreciate having a waterproof bag that isn't so expensive that I fear it getting ruined by how much I use it.

Fantastic! I'll check out all of these options. I'll probably end up with a smaller bag and a bigger bag, as well. But really would like something that I don't mind beating up a little bit. Thanks!!

I have a 15" tote bag. It doesn't hold a lot but that's good--honestly, the bigger of a bag I get the more I fill it and the more my shoulders hurt. Haha. It holds my laptop, planner, and a few folders pretty much.

I have a Kenneth Cole Reaction backpack that I love. It has 5 or 6 completely seperate compartments, one of which is perfect for securely storing my laptop, the rest let me store the things I need by site. It really is incredibly well designed for organizing your stuff. The only downside is that it was a bit pricey.

I saw one for well over a hundred bucks a few weeks ago but maybe I am not recalling correctly.

I got mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond for about $60. When I saw it, I wasn't expecting it to cost that much, and I probably would never have brought it to the counter to buy if I had known how much it was. But now that I have it, I'm very happy with the purchase.

I saw one for well over a hundred bucks a few weeks ago but maybe I am not recalling correctly.

If you have back/shoulder problems Jansport backpacks with "s-curve" straps work well. The backpacks are cheap (40$). I've had mine for a year, using it everyday for school and putting too much stuff in it, and it shows pretty much no wear and tear. I think the type I have is called "wasabi." It also has a separate compartment for laptops that is padded, though you can't hold a wide screened computer in it. I've always used jansport and I have backpacks from high school that are still in great condition, though I must say I always take good care of my possessions.