what kind of breaks do you take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yalla22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have found myself getting so burnt out, so easily:( and furthermore I haven't really found a good way of rejuvinating myself.
I'm actually not even studying that much but after I take 1 subject test and review the answers, I find myself a little drained. I'm sure this isn't normal and that I'm a little sensitive, but I'm wondering what kinds of breaks people take. Like I'm the kind of person that needs to break after every hour.. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Try taking a full length practice test with only the allowed breaks, 10 minutes between tests and an hour for lunch. The MCAT is grueling, and you need to be able to concentrate for at least 100 minutes at a time.

Right now I am studying every night from about 7-12. I get back from the lab, eat, take a bunch of vitamins, take an hour nap. Go running for about 30minutes, take a shower and hit the books.

Something i noticed when i first started studying was if I was eating like crap that day or if i didnt do any physical activity I couldnt concentrate as well. I cut out all junk food and soda and im doing a lot better now because of that.

If you havent taken any practice tests, take one, if u do badly the adrenaline levels should be enough to keep ya awake lol

I take however long necessary to feel refreshed and go back to studying. Sometimes 1-2 mins for washroom/water break, sometimes 5-10 mins after I finish a chapter, sometimes a few hours off to listen to music or watch some tv/check email/SDN (like right now) if I'm not in the mood. I figure that theres no need getting burned out as the 10+ practice tests I take should be enough to train me for breaks during the actual test. Practice tests should burn me out enough, I don't want to burn out studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
yalla22 said:
I have found myself getting so burnt out, so easily:( and furthermore I haven't really found a good way of rejuvinating myself.
I'm actually not even studying that much but after I take 1 subject test and review the answers, I find myself a little drained. I'm sure this isn't normal and that I'm a little sensitive, but I'm wondering what kinds of breaks people take. Like I'm the kind of person that needs to break after every hour.. :eek:

I'm just like you -- I have no idea how everyone sits there for 5-10 hours just studying their heads off. I personally need a break every half hour or hour as well. I just remember that when I first began studying, I did eight 30-minute sessions a day, with a larger break either in the afternoon or night(for hanging out with friends so I don't go crazy). I was taking notes on the "base" material then too, so I started off suuuuper slow. Eventually I ramped it up into four one-hour sessions, and then two two-hour sessions. I throw everything in between my sessions...meals...workouts...some SDN time...just sitting outside and staring at the clouds(I do this so much noadays as well lol)...hanging out...you get the idea. Break it up into small, intense sessions and you'll find you might get a lot further than trying to do everything at once.

When I was doing topicals, I'd do 6-8 a day, taking a half-hour to an hour break after each one(taking and grading and comprehending the answers).

Hope that helps :D

hehehh don't worry. I'm no genius and I got by without making my life a living hell. Try studying in a coffee shop. It's usually boring enough that you don't get distracted but lively enough that you don't start ripping your hair out. And, for the love, don't compare your studying stamina to other people's. With these kinds of tests, you always feel like you shoulda/coulda done more studying, but you end up knowing more than you realize.

Turkeyman said:
I'm just like you -- I have no idea how everyone sits there for 5-10 hours just studying their heads off. I personally need a break every half hour or hour as well. I just remember that when I first began studying, I did eight 30-minute sessions a day, with a larger break either in the afternoon or night(for hanging out with friends so I don't go crazy). I was taking notes on the "base" material then too, so I started off suuuuper slow. Eventually I ramped it up into four one-hour sessions, and then two two-hour sessions. I throw everything in between my sessions...meals...workouts...some SDN time...just sitting outside and staring at the clouds(I do this so much noadays as well lol)...hanging out...you get the idea. Break it up into small, intense sessions and you'll find you might get a lot further than trying to do everything at once.

When I was doing topicals, I'd do 6-8 a day, taking a half-hour to an hour break after each one(taking and grading and comprehending the answers).

Hope that helps :D

When I study I organize my break schedule according to how I would take them at work. Since I am not working anymore (not until after Aug 20th) I have an 8 hour study day (will incr in about a week), with two 15 min breaks separated by a 1 hour lunch. I try to get up in the morning to get to the gym by 5:30. Working out does help with my concentration too!

good luck people!

ggt187 said:
Try taking a full length practice test with only the allowed breaks, 10 minutes between tests and an hour for lunch. The MCAT is grueling, and you need to be able to concentrate for at least 100 minutes at a time.

I hear ya on that one. I get so exhausted towards the end of each section. By the time I get to BS I have to force myself to focus.

As for studying...
I stay in the library ~8 hours but I take a break every two. When I go home I study more...sigh..lol. I try to listen to music on breaks, stuff that is up beat.
If you know anything about NLP, you can use music as an anchor to switch your mind state. That helps ALOT!!

If you get discouraged, ask yourself, "How would I Feel if I don't master this section today?" ...if the answer is sh*tty, then well force yourself to do it so you won't feel bad later. It is that simple...

I think I'm going to change my schedule though. Do all the practice passages in the morning and read and notes at night. In the morning I'm more alert and fresh. I'm doing EK and I'm very pleased with the 10 week schedule so far. I'm also taking a full length every saturday or sunday.

good luck!!

karlin009 said:
I hear ya on that one. I get so exhausted towards the end of each section. By the time I get to BS I have to force myself to focus.

As for studying...
I stay in the library ~8 hours but I take a break every two. When I go home I study more...sigh..lol. I try to listen to music on breaks, stuff that is up beat.
If you know anything about NLP, you can use music as an anchor to switch your mind state. That helps ALOT!!

If you get discouraged, ask yourself, "How would I Feel if I don't master this section today?" ...if the answer is sh*tty, then well force yourself to do it so you won't feel bad later. It is that simple...

I think I'm going to change my schedule though. Do all the practice passages in the morning and read and notes at night. In the morning I'm more alert and fresh. I'm doing EK and I'm very pleased with the 10 week schedule so far. I'm also taking a full length every saturday or sunday.

good luck!!

8 hours in the library then studying more after that!! Wow i bow down to you!

Maybe I should stop visiting SDN so much and start studying like that....

On the MCAT, after each passage, close your eyes and take a 5-second break (don't fall asleep), and breathe deeply. Clear your head of the previous passage's material because you don't need it anymore. This little strategy will help you finish more quickly and stay fresh during the test. This is especially critical in the verbal section where passages can be terribly draining.

When studying, take a 15 minute break for every 30 minutes of studying to let your brain rest and digest. Also, I recommend getting a full 8 hours of sleep after you study and to start eating healthy about a month before the test.

Best of luck.

When I reviewed and studied for the MCAT, I took a break every hour and a half and went on Ebay for 10-15 min. I have a hard time studying for hours on end without breaks and I can't concentrate as much. But despite the short attention span, I took the diags very seriously and treated it like the real thing, which includes 10 min breaks and grading the entire exam AFTER I have totally finished. The only thing I didn't do properly was the writing section...I didn't do it period. The MCAT is an endurance exam and you can't afford to get burned out. If you have the attention span of a chimp (like I do) then it's time to get cracking.

I have made a schedule and so far have been sticking it to religiously. I am going to the gym by 6am three times to four times per week. Then studying in the library from 9-5pm then more at home (I hit the library when my husband is home watching TV because its way too distracting). When I have the house to myself, I wake up at 7am and study from 8am until 6pm which is when I go to Kaplan from 6 to 9.

Hoping to put in 420 hours of MCAT study before the 20th of August. I am also taking 1 full length exam per week until then as well.

Sounds neurotic but I need work on this

wow.. 8 hours of studying..s eriously... i think the more i study the more i am becoming ADD and restless..... anyone out there feeling the same way?

ahhh123 wow.. 8 hours of studying..s eriously... i think the more i study the more i am becoming ADD and restless..... anyone out there feeling the same way?

oh i feel the same way! i think u should do as much as u possibly can and check ur progress with full length exams (i have my first one on saturday). you definitely do not wanna burn urself out by the time august comes around, but u dont wanna slack off either! good luck! :luck:

haha the ADD set in a little bit ago. I was studying for around 4 hours and i started bouncing a table tennis ball i had in my hand and tapping my foot, then i caught myself looking out the window... im sure the adrenaline on test day wont allow for such things.

Oh man I get so restless…but I spend 10-7 studying everyday except sundays with like a total of 2- 3hours worth of breaks… but hang in there everyone..just focus and be strongggggg :)

If i dont end up taken short 10-15 min breaks every hour I end up just staring at my EK and TPR books and thinking about everything BUT the MCAT. Its hard to stay focused but we only have a month remaining...jus gotta hang in there and go all out! Good luck to everyone taking it in August :D

Man, you guys are hardcore. I spend like 2 hours a day at the library. I go home to either eat of take a break, and then I end up usually not coming back. What motivates u guys to study so hard? Maybe its bc I m studying on my own, and I m not taking a class?

I am studying on my own as well, and its the fear of not getting into med school that keeps me going