SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

?? What kind of chance do you think I have???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by mikeaparker, Feb 1, 2001.

1. mikeaparker

mikeaparker Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Let me give you my specs...
    Bio Major grad 98'
    mcat x3 best score combo 9b 9p 7v R (last was 9,8,7 N)
    overall GPA 3.45
    science GPA 3.30
    other GPA 3.70

Completed an LPN preclin class vocationally while in High School.

Received my EMT in 99' and volunteer at RS

Worked in pharmacy for the last 7 years...

I just took a grad biochem course and got a "B".

I have never applied the D.O. route before.. when I looked to it for an alternative, I realized that D.O. is more consistent with how I want to practice medicine than M.D. anyways....

I appreciate any honest feedback on my chances..

I plan to shadow a D.O. for a week. I have a D.O. as my doctor now.. And I plan to get a letter of rec. from him..

[This message has been edited by mikeaparker (edited 02-02-2001).]
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned Banned 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2000

I am certianly no expert, but I think your numbers are consistent with many applicants who get accepted every year to medical schools throughout the country, particularly Osteopathic schools.

Did you take the MCAT 3 times? Watch out for may come back at you in an interview.

The GPA is good, as is the science GPA.

LPN, EMT, and Pharmacy work (sounds familiar!) all very good.

How about community volunteer work, leadership positions in your school, and extracurriculars? Those are of great importance.

A B in a graduate Biochemistry course also reflects positively.

I would suggest reading up on Osteopathic medicine, even though you will be shadowing a D.O.

Norman Gevitz's book "The D.O.'s: Osteopathic Medicine in America" is available for $15.oo or so and is a great resource guide.

Shadowing a D.O. as well as having on as your physician will look favorably.

I think you have the necessary tools, barring anything that you haven't disclosed!

Try to stay involved, or get more involved. I am sure you will succeed in your quest for medical school!

Very best of luck to you!

Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
    [email protected]
    University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
    "D.O. Wannabe"
  4. mikeaparker

Sep 3, 1999
    thank you for your reply, does anyone else have some feedback.. I would really appreciate hearing some numbers of others who got in with similar or lower scores than I.. thanks...

5. MSafur

MSafur Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2000
    Queens, NY, USA
    Numbers don't mean anything, but if it helps and reassures you....

Life Science Major/Chem Minor -2000 grad
    Concentration in Biomed research (OMM and its effects on Parkinsons)
    Sci gpa -3.30
    Cum gpa - 3.4
    Other - 3.85
    MCAT - 24 (once)
    My numbers are obviously not that great, but I got into all the schools I applied. Your chances are good.
    You probably will have to explain you taking the mcat's 3X. However, if you have some clinical exposure/community service/volunteer work, emphasize that. Also, emphasize any research you may have done. Best of luck!(you'll make it)

6. mikeaparker

Sep 3, 1999
    So you guys think that even though I'm a Virginia resident and there are no D.O. schools, here that I won't have a problem getting in out of state???

You said you got into all the schools you applied to... may I ask how many you applied to and if they were in/out of state...??

thanks again..

7. kc2doc

kc2doc Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Here's my stats if this helps:
    GPA 3.55
    Science GPA 3.67
    MCAT 25, 7,8,10 2nd time (first time - 19)
    Lots of volunteer, comm svc, physician shadowing incl. D.O., great rec. letters
    I applied to 5 DO schools and some MD schools, got an interview and acceptance to my 1st choice DO school, so I withdrew my other 4 DO applications. They seemed to be very impressed with my grades???? To me they are not that great!! Sounds like you are in the ball park, good luck to you.
  8. bobo

bobo Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2000

I must take exception to your statement that "I realized that D.O. is more consistent with how I want to practice medicine than M.D. anyways....". Funny how the DO route becomes all that much more attractive after the MD route doesn't pan out. Before anyone bashes me, let me say that I am a 1st year osteopathic student who didn't get into any MD schools, and I am very happy at my school (PCOM) and I have no reservations about the DO route at all. Actually, I was asked the question "Is the DO route more attractive now that the MD route hasn't worked out?" at a LECOM interview last year. I was truthful, of course it is. Just be honest with them and yourself. You would have to be a moron not to agree with the "DO philosophy" - holistic, primary-care, etc, because it all makes a lot of sense. You just have to play the game with the interviewers and on the essays. The "DO philosophy" is in fact very nebulous at best most of the time. Most of us kids in the first year are more worried about passing gross, biochem, etc.

However, there are a few DO diehards in my class. There are some that only applied to DO schools and others that turned down MD acceptances. they have all my respect.

Now as far as your chances - study up on the good old "DO philosophy", write good essays, get good letters and you should have no problem getting in. coming from out of state will not really hurt you at the private schools. I would concentrate on them rather than state-affililiated schools or schools that take mostly in-state students like NYCOM, Texas, ohio, michigan. Schools like KCOM, AZCOM, LECOM, DMU, and UHS take people from all over the country. Schools like WVSOM and Pikeville show a regional preference, which might work for you since you are from Va. Finally, I was accepted at PCOM from out of state without problem, and PCOm takes 70% pa. residents about. I had similar aggregate MCAT with a different section distribution.

9. nathan

nathan Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 15, 2001
    Joplin, MO USA
    Dear mikeaparker-

It sounds like you are well within reach of getting into an osteopathic school. I am going to UHS in Kansas City, MO this next year and yes, there are many out-of-staters who attend this school (however, I am from MO). I have a few pieces of advice for you- one, try and write an awesome personal statement! Include what perks osteopathic medicine provides and why you are drawn to it (and PLEASE, do not write how osteopathic medicine is great because it provides a wholistic approach to medicine- admissions committees hear/read that all of the time!). Write about HOW the wholistic approach relates to your experiences, i.e., shadowing a DO and how he/she uses this approach to help them in their patient care. For instance, I work for a group of cardiologists and CV surgeons. When a patient comes in with CAD, HTN, etc.- how is their treatment going to EFFECT both them and their family and friends. THAT is an example of the wholistic approach. Also, this type of info. will help in interviewing because they always ask: "Why osteopathic medicine?". Another thing- speak and write what YOU know. Interviewers will try and back you in a corner and make you second guess yourself. Don't! Stand firm in your beliefs/opinions (such as if you believe in abortion, euthanasia, etc.- don't let them sway your opinion). You will also want to write and talk about your personal experiences that drew you to a career in medicine, NOT because you "like to help people" (that is what everyone says). In my case, I was exposed to medicine at a very early age because my grandfather had severe heart problems and I spent much time with him and he would relate his experiences to me and how he had much faith in his doctors. Much of this info. that I am giving comes from a DO who used to be on an admissions committee at a COM (so, please don't think I'm just telling you to do what I did because I got in). Hopes this helps and good luck!

-Nathan Box (UHS Class '05)
  10. mikeaparker

Sep 3, 1999
    thankyou everyone for all of your helpful advice,