1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

what kind of dental insurance do the doctors have?

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by okiamhot, Mar 23, 2004.

1. okiamhot

okiamhot Membership Revoked
    Removed

hey.

i am just wondering what types of dental insurance the doctors have? does it cover anything cosmetic? =) i know that most insurance don't, but i suppose that doctors' dental insurance might be a little different? :)

i am just wondering if i should do it now, or wait till later when i may get it free. :clap:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Depends on what's offered by your residency program. Ours does not cover cosmetic procedures. Since the hospital pays a portion of the cost, it would seem unlikely that they would want to pay more for a policy which covers such procedures.

As a resident, especially if at a program which also has a dentistry training program or which has dentists in house, you might get a "professional" discount from

4. okiamhot

Removed

thanks for the info!

how much discount can you get?

so i suppose that the doctors' dental insurance is about the same as every other types of professions'?

5. Kalel

Kalel Membership Revoked
    Removed

My residency program and med school offers dental insurance. Not sure how the program's insurance works, but for med school, there was a deal where you pay ~$200 per year and you get free check ups and discounted procedures at a resident dental clinic at the dental school. Hospitals with dental schools probably offer the best deals.

6. okiamhot

Removed

i was trying to find some dental insurance for doctors online, but i can't find any. lots of them are just general description for the general population.

so my basic question is, would i be able to save a lot if i wait till i get the dental insurance after i get my md?

thanks.

7. Kalel

Kalel Membership Revoked
    Removed

:confused:

Their's no specific dental insurance for docs, there's only dental insurance offered through your employers. If given the option, unless you've been neglecting your teeth for some time, I wouldn't buy dental insurance. You usually spend more money for the insurance plus copays then you would just paying for the fees out of pocket. Many private dentists don't accept most insurance co's too, particularly the cheap ones (cheap insurance co's).

8. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    Not necessarily true. A comprehensive treatment plan for one tooth (root canal + crown, not uncommon at all) will set you back well over a thousand dollars most places. Good dentistry ain't cheap any more than good medicine is.

9. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    We don't have "special doctor's dental insurance" - I'm fairly sure its the same policy that anyone with employer offered insurance would get. No more or less benefits. I pay about $10 a month and the med center pays the rest of the balanc.

As for a professional discount, that would be between you and the dentist. They will usually discount their professional fee and might give you the meds/sedation at cost. Some of the costs might be fixed - ie, if they use a anesthetist or other techs whose fees wouldn't be reduced for you.

If you're in no hurry, you might as well wait - it will cost you no more once you start residency and you could possibly get some of the fees reduced (ie, like the office visit would presumably be covered).