What kind of dental loupes do you use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolslugs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Military dentists...what kind of dental loupes do you use? What magnification? Pros and cons?

Members don't see this ad.

This is just my personal opinion.

I recommend everyone get 3.5 power loupes to start with. I started with 2.5, but I've been working with 3.5 for 6 years and I wonder why I ever did the 2.5. I have great vision, so I don't need the extra power for vision purposes. I just find the 3.5 to be more useful. I also have a set of expanded field and regular field. I think that just depends on your personal preference. Most expanded filed loupes will be heavier. I prefer TTL loupes as the field of view is generally larger than flip up loupes.

As for brand. That is totally subjective. I have used Designs for Vision, Orascoptic, and Surgitel. I have residents that use all of those and one that really like Zeiss loupes. Try as many as you can before you make a decision. Try on different styles, etc... Each company will give you their selling points, but it really boils down to what you like the best.

Last edited:
I have used the 2.5 Surgitel flip-ups (original school vendor), 2.5x TTL DVI Galilean prisms (which I purchased on my own dime in school and are the only pair I currently use) and 3.8x TTL Orascoptic telescopes (I never had them adjusted properly to fit my face and as such I haven't really been able to give them a fair chance)

The TTL DVI 2.5s are all I've ever needed, though. I matched them with an Ultralight Optics light (also purchased at personal expense) and can't imagine needing much more than that.

I use them for the majority of my operative and endo work and almost all of my fixed prosth work - though I do all my surgery and some of the restorative without as I believe it's a good idea to not become totally dependent on something that, if damaged or destroyed far from any manufacturer or vendor, will inhibit my ability to work.

I've been using 5.5x Surgitel flip ups for the past 3 years and am very pleased with them. I use them for all my operative and endo....they even serve me well for perio. Good luck finding what works for you!