SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

what kind of doc for wound care?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Dolly the Sheep, Aug 4, 2002.

  1. Dolly the Sheep

    Dolly the Sheep Member 7+ Year Member

    Aug 4, 2002
    what kind of doc specializes in wound care? orhopedic, endicrinologist, general surg? do you know? I haven't started school yet and was just wondering, I am interested in wound care so what area would I study in?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. AlternateSome1

    AlternateSome1 Burnt Out Physician 10+ Year Member

    Aug 2, 2002
    Wound care? I would say primary care or ER Surgery/Medicine. It depends on what type of wound, where the wound is, and how serious really.

  4. tec

    tec Member 10+ Year Member

    Jun 13, 2001
    Iowa City, IA
    At the Shock Trauma Center at the Univ of Maryland, there is a soft tissue service that focuses primarily on severe wounds. These physicians are surgeons by trade. Many of their patients are diabetics, drug abusers (who have gotten bad infections), and those with wounds suffered during traumatic incidents (such as car or industrial accidents).
  5. SocialistMD

    SocialistMD Resident Objectivist 15+ Year Member

    Jan 29, 2001
    It seems critical care medicine may also be a path to take. I think it goes surgery residency, critical care/trauma fellowship.
  6. joewright

    joewright New Member

    Jun 15, 2002
    If you're interested in abscesses, there are some community health docs (I think family practice and IM docs, probably? Josh Bamberger, below, is a family practice/public health doc) who work with injection drug users, who are putting special focus on working out systems of care to treat abscesses before they get so bad that they become surgery dept. patients. There was actually an abscess task force in San Francisco, which there may still be, which was designed to set up a care system to catch the wounds when they were still easily treatable. Admissions for abscesses were becoming a major cost for SF's public health system. I left town about a year ago so I'm not sure what the status of their work is right now.

    Using the SF example, I think there are some people in other cities who are trying to work on similar models, e.g., doing wound care at needle exchange sites, etc.
    The authors of the above MMWR article would be good to talk to/correspond with if this is the kind of wound care you're interested in, especially Dan Ciccarone and Josh Bamberger. I don't have contact info handy but I'm sure calling their respective institutions should get them.

  7. droliver

    droliver Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    May 1, 2001
    Most of the complex wound care in academics & the community is directed by surgeons. In particular General,Vascular, & plastic surgeons get extensive background in wound care and do much of the consulting for this

Share This Page