What kind of doctor do you want to be??

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
Los Angeles, Calif.
    Share here. what kind of dr do you want to be? why? what do you see the positives and negatives of this field? what is your opinion of other fields? are there any specialties that you would never do for sure? you get the picture.

i dont know what i want to be. im thinking of everything: emergency, trauma, oncology, dermatology, internal med or family practice, urology, plastics or general surgery, on and on. so many things to choose from. :confused: :confused:

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
    7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Jun 26, 2003
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Which specialty? IM (geriatrics) : Because there are not enough in my country, and I'm patient, able to work with the elderly

Emergency Med: I'm calm, so, that'll be a really good thing right? Oh yah, it's interesting :) and the money :laugh:

About the Ads

nutmegs

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Jul 15, 2003
        anesthesia. I've always liked it and feel like it matches with me very well. I like all of the acute-care settings, but I really like the amount of hands-on kind of stuff combined with the fact that you really do have to know a little bit of everything in anesthesia. I think the patient contact is brief but really meaningful, and I don't feel the need to see people over and over and over again. Etc. Etc. ;)

Blake

10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Jun 21, 2004
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          I want to be the kind of doc people can always count on. I might end up being a workaholic, but like my teacher ( ORL surgeon ) said the other day, you can manage to balance your life between work and family. Friends and hobbies aren't that important to him ( same here ), and he is an happy married guy, with 5 kids, and doing like 50 % of all the " major " operations in the eastern part of our province...

I plan on being a neurosurgeon. Funny, I already knew who wanted to be a neurosurgeon in my class the first day of school, before even talking to them. I just felt it. Like they say, " it takes one to know one " ;) :D Too bad only 1 or 2 of us will make it in the end. Oh well, I'll worry about residency later. Got to focus on getting As right now and fully understanding the material :)

Oh and if plan A fails, I'll probably enter a surgery program :p

care bear

pink fuzzy user
          7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Oct 31, 2002
            a pediatrician who impacts the lives of children in a somewhat far-reaching way, whether that be through research or advocacy (i don't see myself doing 100% clinical work) and who is a comforting and knowledgeable presence for patients and parents. :)

automaton

drone
            10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            May 25, 2004
            assembly line
              Blake said:
              Radiology, Anesthesia, Dermatology ?
              radiology - a possibility, the drawback being stuck in a darm room in the basement.

anesthesia - i don't think i will find this rewarding at all. but you're right, it fulfills my criteria. i prefer not to work in a field that doesn't diagnose or treat. i need one of two at least. plus i don't want to be the wannabe surgeon who tries to tag along to the surgeries.

dermatology - kids with breakouts can get clingy and might want to talk about their school crushes. besides, this is a chick field. super tense and man-eating type a control freak type of chick field. no thanks.

About the Ads

renox9

Registered Boozer
              10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Aug 27, 2004
              Pleasantville, NY
                automaton said:
                radiology - a possibility, the drawback being stuck in a darm room in the basement.

anesthesia - i don't think i will find this rewarding at all. but you're right, it fulfills my criteria. i prefer not to work in a field that doesn't diagnose or treat. i need one of two at least. plus i don't want to be the wannabe surgeon who tries to tag along to the surgeries.

dermatology - kids with breakouts can get clingy and might want to talk about their school crushes. besides, this is a chick field. super tense and man-eating type a control freak type of chick field. no thanks.

Are you joking or no? My sarcasm detector is a bit faulty these days. If you aren't joking, I'm curious as to what you said on your interviews when explaining why you want to be a doctor.

Whisker Barrel Cortex

1K Member
                10+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Aug 11, 2001
                Midwest
                  automaton said:

Our radiology department is on the third floor.

Krony

10+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Nov 24, 2002
                  CA
                    automaton said:
                    Anesthesiologists diagnose and treat all day long, just at an accelerated rate. And if you're doing it right, none of your patients will talk about their school crushes.

Skip Intro

15+ Year Member
                    Apr 30, 2002
                    1. Attending Physician
                      automaton said:
                      plus i don't want to be the wannabe surgeon who tries to tag along to the surgeries.

You have no idea what you're talking about. In the OR, the surgeon may take care of the problem but the anesthesiologist takes care of the patient.

Get informed before you spout-off at the mouth.

Mumpu

Burninator, MD
                      10+ Year Member
                      5+ Year Member
                      Aug 1, 2004
                        Hospitalist IM in a teaching hospital. Generalists have to know how to diagnose and manage everything (consults are not as helpful as you'd expect) and the opportunity to do teaching, a little bit of research, and no clinics is thrilling.

Why no clinics? Because I like having the labs back in 15 minutes and knowing that my patients are actually getting the medications and tests I ordered. :p

About the Ads

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
                        7+ Year Member
                        15+ Year Member
                        Jun 26, 2003
                        1. Resident [Any Field]
                          kc361 said:
                          Probably peds heme/onc. I've been interested in that field for years, and rotations have only solidified my appreciation for it. Peds-(fill in the blank) is a defininite, though - I'm happiest when I'm helping kids.

I think most females do either OnG, peds or onco.. :oops:

quideam

Too tired to complain
                          7+ Year Member
                          15+ Year Member
                          Apr 17, 2003
                          NYC
                          1. Resident [Any Field]
                            EM - i'm almost positive on this one. It's fast-paced, there's a decent amount of patient and pathology diveristy, and tons of cool fellowship/practice opportunities - EMS director, disaster research, etc. I think I may want to move to Israel eventually, so an EM background would definetely be a plus there :)

JattMed

Membership Revoked
                            Removed
                            10+ Year Member
                            Aug 7, 2004
                              fpr85 said:
                              I took it for the heck of it (even though I've just started undergrad), very repetitive.

On the results my top 5 were:

When I had taken it.........I had repeaters.....
                              1. CardioThoracic Surgery
                              2. CardioThoracic Surgery
                              3. Orthopedic Surgery
                              4. Orthopedic Surgery
                              5. Neurosurgery

I dont remember the number(behind the specialty thought) and I think Cardiothoracic may have been listed as Cardiac Surgery -cannot recall exactly.
                              I had Psychiatry near the bottom.......# 38 or so.........GP/FP was about there as well.
                              Too lazy to take it again.......

About the Ads

powermd

Lifetime Donor
                              15+ Year Member
                              Mar 30, 2003
                              Northeast
                              1. Attending Physician
                                It's interesting to read these posts and revisit my own thought processes as a med student early on. Something for you guys to think about is how your interests may change as you get older, more experienced (jaded?), and actually experience what it's like to live in these specialties. I promise you the idealism you come into med school with, and that persists as a first/second year, evaporates with the brutal reality of living clinical medicine.

I thought I wanted to do neurosurgery or cardiothoracic surgery early in med school, but then I experienced the misery of waking up at 4am for two months straight, and having only two hours after work to myself before having to go to sleep again. That pretty much put an end to my interest in hyperintense surgical fields. Very, very few people are well suited for that kind of life. EM seemed cool for a while before I spend two months in busy city ER's and realized that 90% is straight primary care for non-acute problems that could have been managed if the patient made a doctor's appointment. Add to that I didn't really like the patient populations, the chaotic, noisy environment, or the crazy shift work. Cardiology could be interesting but internal medicine is VERY tedious, and the training period is prolonged and in no way assured for everyone intereseted in a cards fellowship.

Anesthesiology, I believe, will be the best match for me. Patient interactions are intense, but short-lived. I love thinking on my feet, dealing with acute medical problems that have serious consequences, and using knowledge physio/pharm. I like the philosophy of titrated patient care. In anesthesia you don't just give a drug, then come back in an hour, a day, or a week to see if it worked. You see effects within seconds or minutes, and you adjust your strategy accordingly. I like the lifestyle of mainly working weekdays with a fairly early stary, and early finish. Add to that I really enjoy being in the intense, but highly controlled OR environment. To me, it's the most exciting place to be in the hospital.

X.O.

10+ Year Member
                                7+ Year Member
                                Oct 15, 2004
                                1. Resident [Any Field]
                                  I just took the test and my top suggestions were dermatology, radiology, Immuno/Allergy, and Path.

Basically i said I was an intellectual lone wolf gadget freak with poor manual dexterity that despised patients and reveled in complex problem solving. I can see how rads and path make sense but dermatology and allergy is puzzling :confused:.

AlexRusso

10+ Year Member
                                  5+ Year Member
                                  Apr 22, 2004
                                  1. Medical Student
                                    Pediatric Cardiac Surgeon

When we first learned cardiac physiology i was amazed. Then when we learned about congenital defects in path I was even more amazed. Fell in love with the stuff. Now in the middle of my Peds clerkship and I find myself reading the chapter on heart defects over and over. Not because I dont get it but because its just amazing to me. Read a couple of books about pedatirc heart surgery, namely "Walk on Water" and "King of Hearts". Loved everything about it. Always wanted to be some kind of surgeon but never sure what kind. This stuff just amazes me. Planning to take cardio as my selective during surg. From what i hear we get to see a lot of congenital at our hospital which is great. Other reasons I'm drawn to the field are that you can really affect a child's life and the whole family's for that matter. You litteraly give these kids who would've died a chance at life. As opposed to the cardiac surgeon that extends life by maybe a few decades doing a CABG. You give this child their ENTIRE life. Also you see immediate results. Love that. As opposed to putting someone on a statin and seeing them live a few years longer (maybe) you open up the kids chest, see a heart that is all screwed up and in a few hours you fix it. Love the manual dexterity inovlved in working on small hearts. I could go on and on.....Hopefully I'll get into this field b/c its super duper competative.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
                                    7+ Year Member
                                    15+ Year Member
                                    Jan 27, 2002
                                    in hell
                                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                                      thinking
                                      1. IM
                                      2. IM + Nephrology, Allergy?/ Endocringology fellowships
                                      3. PM+R
                                      4. Radiology

Not in that order. Idea of gen surgery interests me....but the physical nature does not. Flat feet and bed leg makes standing a pain.

Smoke This

Sweet cuppin' cakes!
                                      10+ Year Member
                                      15+ Year Member
                                        Used to think I wanted to be a surgeon, neurosurgery no less, then I took neurosurgery and that changed a lot of things. Many of the people I interacted with in the field are contemptible, from the attendings on down (and this is a *top* program). I think the work is fascinating but I don't like the fact that virtually every malignant brain tumor can't be surgically cured. I didn't like seeing patients in the neurosurgical ICU who will never get back to anything approaching a meaningful life despite whatever (probably futile) surgery they had, and I didn't like seeing the patients that the neurosurgical intervention caused permanent harm to. I could also live without the inhuman hours and the constant threat of getting blood splashed into my eyes and face or getting stuck with sharps.

I need to think a lot about this, because I've had thoughts of trying to talk myself into applying for neurosurgery, since the work actually is technically very slick and enjoyable. Otherwise, and what will probably really happen, is that I will go into IM with specialization in something, maybe cardiology. Something like that would allow me to follow patients over time and really get to know them, something I enjoy, and allow for some procedures, which would be ideal. I took medicine already this year and loved it, never thought that would happen since I came into medical school thinking I was a surgeon for sure. Interesting the way things work out sometimes.

Philo Beddo

7+ Year Member
                                        15+ Year Member
                                        Nov 28, 2003
                                        hippocritis.com
                                          IM/FP/PEDS - You see 26, or more, patients a day. Bottom scale pay.

Nephrology - You collect the living dead for patients. I crap you not.

Any surgical subspecialty - You will be 35 (at least) before you practice. You'll live in a big house, but it will be empty. At least you'll be able to afford your alimony.

Cards - Ask yourself, "How tight IS my sphincter?"

Pulmonolgy. If you cant treat it with steroids, its going to kill your patient.

Rheumatology. Get used to ordering, interpereting, then discarding ALOT of lab work.

Anesthesia. Lifestyle and pay are unbeatable. Plenty of time to read on the job.

Dermatology. Freezing AKs off of 82 year-old people. Shameful. You dont deserve 1/2 of what you make - all the sweeter.

Just my thoughts.

Philo

Hippocritis.com <--- funny

About the Ads
                                          This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                          7. This thread is locked.