What kind of folks should come to YOUR program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hard24Get

The black sleepymed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
RayF said:
I think it would be great if PDs/Residents were to describe their program for MS4's in terms of how they are different/ +'s and -'s/ number of shifts/ and what type of applicants would fit best in their program.
I think the last part is MOST HELPFUL.. MS4's can also write after rotations.

thnx

I think RayF asked a really important question in the MS-4 thread that no one has answered yet. Everyone talks about how fit is so important for EM, so what type of person would fit in at YOUR program (pls mention your program name since this is for potential applicants)???

Thanks! (Hope RayF doesn't mind...)

Members don't see this ad.

I really think it's important for people to rotate through a program and get to know the residents, and the overall feel of a residency. They should know after a day of interviewing whether or not they'd be a good "fit".

Asking the subjective reviews of residents and/or attendings probably won't be that helpful. I'm sure we all want hard-working, intelligent applicants, however no single program can probably tell you what personality traits will work.

I really think it's important for people to rotate through a program and get to know the residents, and the overall feel of a residency. They should know after a day of interviewing whether or not they'd be a good "fit".

Asking the subjective reviews of residents and/or attendings probably won't be that helpful. I'm sure we all want hard-working, intelligent applicants, however no single program can probably tell you what personality traits will work.

Oh, c'mon, it is primarily for fun and getting us thinking, but I think many of us can describe who would fit in with their friends and colleagues - why not at a residency program? Besides, what if we never apply to the program because we never knew anything about it- in this case, the interview, etc wouldn't help. For instance, I am now more excited about Penn's program after learning they go deep sea fishing together at least once a year.

So, here's an example of what people could post in response to RayF's question:
My program, Nirvana Receiving in Dayton, Ohio, is relatively unique because one of our faculty members is the EMS director for the city so we do a lot of prehospital stuff and even have a 1 month rotation in the fire dept.
2) A major plus of our program is the great relationship we have with the rest of the hospital and the fact that we run our own half-way house.
3) A minus to some might be the whether and the fat-laden cafeteria.
4) Shifts- We work 4 8hr shifts a month that trickles down to 3 5 hr shifts by the last year.
5) Personality- A big part of our humor is slapstick and teasing people (especially patients) mercilessly, and we have Lord of the Ring parties once a month, so if you like that sort of thing, you might fit in!

Members don't see this ad :)
Each program has its strengths and weaknesses, but that doesn't mean that someone who isn't interested in the program's strengths is not fit for the program.

For example, my program is very strong on ultrasound, EMS, critical care, and international medicine. We have people who receive training in 3 of the 4 (because it's required), but have no specific interest in any of the 4. One wants to do space medicine.

When people say you should go to a program where you fit, it's more in style with how you fit in with the residents (this can only be assessed during the pre-interview dinner, but do realize that you're basing a lot on a 2 hour interaction with the residents). The city where you will live is also very important.

I think RayF asked a really important question in the MS-4 thread that no one has answered yet. Everyone talks about how fit is so important for EM, so what type of person would fit in at YOUR program (pls mention your program name since this is for potential applicants)???

Thanks! (Hope RayF doesn't mind...)

NOT AT ALL! good thing u took the initiative and turned it into a thread.. I agree that u have to physically be at a program to get the feel, but there are objective issues we mentioned that might help.. especially since no-one can visit all programs, and the 1 day interview is too short to get that feel.

These questions have already been answered. In fact, there is an entire website dedicated to these exact type of residency reviews. Go to www.scutwork.com.

As far as my program at the University of Chicago, we are an academic hospital with more of a county hospital feel based on our patient population (very indigent, uneducated, and extremely sick). People who are comfortable with a high level of autonomy, enjoy procedures, and like seeing sick/complicated patients will be a good match for our program. The Univesity of Chicago ED is entirely resident run, and you are guaranteed to get your hands very dirty if you come here. You will be thrown directly into the fire starting day #1. Senior residents run the ED and the helicopter flight program is a requirement (all 2nd year residents are flight physicians during ER shifts, and are prepared to fly on 5 minutes notice). All flights have residents on board.

Thanks, I think many will find your post VERY helpful in considering programs. Scutwork is cool, but sparse, and the reviewers are basically unknown compared to SDNers.

These questions have already been answered. In fact, there is an entire website dedicated to these exact type of residency reviews. Go to www.scutwork.com.

As far as my program at the University of Chicago, we are an academic hospital with more of a county hospital feel based on our patient population (very indigent, uneducated, and extremely sick). People who are comfortable with a high level of autonomy, enjoy procedures, and like seeing sick/complicated patients will be a good match for our program. The Univesity of Chicago ED is entirely resident run, and you are guaranteed to get your hands very dirty if you come here. You will be thrown directly into the fire starting day #1. Senior residents run the ED and the helicopter flight program is a requirement (all 2nd year residents are flight physicians during ER shifts, and are prepared to fly on 5 minutes notice). All flights have residents on board.

Your description of Chicago fits King/Drew almost exactly, minus the flight training. Pretty much any county program will require a high degree of autonomy, being comfortable with really sick patients, and procedures.

Ahem.

Those who are interested in a motivating and unique educational experience should look closely at Georgetown University Hospital / Washington Hospital Center's New Emergency Medicine Residency. Ok, now this is just sounding like shameless program plugging.... but what the hey. Please see my post earlier in the thread about why people should go to new programs.

Q

I'll bite.. I actually think this is a useful concept. Just like different medical schools have different personalities, different programs have different personalities. Things like volume, pathology, etc can all be found easily on frieda, etc. What's hard to get a feel for is well, the 'feel' of a program.

Why are there places where from almost hte minute you walked in you knew it was a good match and why other places (despite being solid programs) you know wouldn't work?

I can tell you what goes in my program: (the abstract)
-fun, interesting diverse individuals
-did I mention diverse?
-professional
-self-motivated

The type of people that wouldn't work well in our program are individuals that need lots of guidance and hands on. Our program has a wealth of diversity. (international, ultrasound, clinical research, tox, administrative, etc) but you have to have *some* idea adn you can't expect everyone to keep asking you what you want to do. We have plenty who just want to practice, plenty that want to go academic and plenty that do fellowship. But in each case, these people all took *some* initiative.

We were (and now as an attending, I do this) constantly challenged to come up with ways to make the program better, etc.

We also like to have fun and don't have any kind of 'old world structure'. Attendings are all called by first names and often socialize with residents.