MD & DO What kind of hospital experience matters for medical school applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluedevil1991

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,

I have interned at an emergency room for a semester, I have also interned/volunteered at a hospital abroad. However, I currently hold a paid position that is called a "nutrition representative" within a hospital. This is basically the person that delivers trays to patients and takes their menu order. However, nutrition/dietetic knowledge is needed due to the different diet restraints many patients are on. I also communicate plenty with nurses and have picked up valuable patient interaction, interviewing them and consulting them over the things they may or may not be allowed to eat due to the restraints on their diets.

Overall my question is, does this position count as "good hospital experience?" and do you all think this position will help me in my medical school application?

Lastly, what would count as a good hospital experience for an undergrad?

thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

Did you enjoy it?

Did this help confirm your desires to study medicine?

Do you have a lot to talk about from this position?

If yes to all 3 then your answer is yes.

Reactions: 1 user
I have interned at an emergency room for a semester, I have also interned/volunteered at a hospital abroad. However, I currently hold a paid position that is called a "nutrition representative" within a hospital. This is basically the person that delivers trays to patients and takes their menu order. However, nutrition/dietetic knowledge is needed due to the different diet restraints many patients are on. I also communicate plenty with nurses and have picked up valuable patient interaction, interviewing them and consulting them over the things they may or may not be allowed to eat due to the restraints on their diets.

Overall my question is, does this position count as "good hospital experience?" and do you all think this position will help me in my medical school application?

thank you,
Taking all three experiences you've related into account and assuming some reasonable duration for the third one, I'd say you have accumulated adequate active clinical experience in a medical environment, that will appeal to most med schools. Hopefully you also have physician shadowing (usually considered a passive observership).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Taking all three experiences you've related into account and assuming some reasonable duration for the third one, I'd say you have accumulated adequate active clinical experience in a medical environment, that will appeal to most med schools. Hopefully you also have physician shadowing (usually considered a passive observership).

Thank to you both, I was starting to doubt this position had any value when applying to medical school. And I do have had some MD and DO shadowing experiences.

Thank you two for replying.

I was starting to doubt this position had any value when applying to medical school.
Then I assume the position passes the gebor test for adequacy mentioned above. I recall an applicant whose primary source of clinical experience came from a dietary aide position in a nursing home. She had good stories to tell about relating to the elderly and communicating effectively, and clearly enjoyed her time with the patients as she helped them choose appropriate foods and conveyed them to and from the dining area. I think that a key important factor that adds extra value to the experience is that you are taking advantage of the opportunity to interact with all the folks you find in the hospital, whether staff or patient, besides simply doing your job.

Yes. Anything that gets you to interact with the patients is excellent. You need to know what you're getting into.

thank you,[/QUOTE]