1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What kind of job do you have?

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by pressmom, Apr 10, 2007.

?

What kind of job do you have?

Poll closed May 10, 2007.
  1. Veterinary, clinical

43 vote(s)
    57.3%
  2. Veterinary, research

18 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Non-veterinary

29 vote(s)
    38.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. pressmom

pressmom Third year!
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I'm just curious. I actually have both a veterinary clinical job and a non-veterinary job (actually two).

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 2011vet

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I work for a veterinarian, but in a research lab. I get to play with puppies a few days a week. : D

4. wildfocus

wildfocus DVM/PhD student
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    i too have 2 jobs: full-time non veterinary in std research and part-time clinical veterinary as a vet tech

5. jeeney

jeeney Ross SVM c/o 2012
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    i work at an animal research facility...all types of lab animals here :D

6. OceanAngel

OceanAngel NCSU c/o 2011
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I actually have four jobs, equine vet tech, wildlife tech, non-veterinary research lab (main job), and pet sitter for a large company. I am looking forward to vacation!!:laugh:

7. wivet2011

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Two jobs: vet clinic and wildlife rehab.

8. texlaevis

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    teacher here... but i volunteer at the humane society :-D

9. ratbandit

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Does student count as a profession - it feels like a 60hr/week job. I'm an intern at a museum and also play in a professional orchestra and quartet. Woopy how snobby does that sound? It sound so snobby I could just pull my own hair. I just gave them the good news that I'm not signing my contract for next season b/c I'm-a-goin to vet school. The middle aged "I'm so arogant that I think I can actually get w/ this 20 year old" will have to find somebody else to flirt with. Can you tell I'm not sad to leave?

10. jnt179

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I work fulltime for Tractor Supply, barn manager for a boarding facility, and fulltime student. I am currently trying to find something at a vet clinic so that I can quit my job at the TSC corporate office. Any good hints? I have applied at several places but now I am just waiting to hear something.

11. Pigsfoot

Pigsfoot Illinois Class of 2014!
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    i work at a surgical skills facility where we do animal research and also human (cadaver) stuff. so i get to work directly with lab animals and help the vet staff 60% of the time.

12. ckgilabert

ckgilabert CSU PVM c/o 2014!!!!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    for those of you who do research:

do you see the animals in pain all the time?

cuz i think that would make me nervous to work in a research lab.

thanks for answering the question :)

13. agr1365

agr1365 KSU CVM Class of 2011
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Full time: student
    Part time: ranch hand/cowboy
    Part time: vet assistant

14. autumn shimmer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Full time:student
    Part time: flower shop/greenhouse
    Part time: vet clinic
    Hopefully this summer work at a bird santuary/rehab in stl full time

15. Hollycozza

5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Full time: Vet student

Part Time: Vet nurse (or "tech" as you say :) )

Part time: Senior RA @ Student Residence

16. soxbox

soxbox CSU PVM Class of '11
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I work full time doing research and part time as a vet tech at a small animal practice...
    The research I do now is working with sheep and rats developing emphysema treatments. Our product is now going into phase 2 clinical trials, and it is so great to see all the animal work we have done begin to pay off by patients who could barely breath before now able to walk and get such joy from doing simple things like vacuuming :)

We do everything in our power to make sure the animals feel minimal to no pain (including me coming in sometimes in the middle of the night to give pain meds)... to me animal research is a necessary evil... it must be done... and if so, I like to be part of it to make sure the animals get treated as humanely as possible and that their lives are fully respected. I have worked with some people (I used to do a lot of work that was contracted to us) that had NO animal experience and really had no respect for the animals (they are ONLY rats and mice they would say) and did not handle them properly and for example, instead of giving more anesthesia they would just continue the surgery (we only have a few minutes left of the surgery and do not want to have to wait longer for the animals to recover they said) Needless to say, this did not last long once I was there... I reported what I saw to the IACUC and boy did things change fast.

It is very sad knowing that every animal we have we will have to sacrifice, but seeing the greater good that comes from them giving their lives makes it justifiable to myself... and knowing that while they are here and while we euthanize them, they are treated very well and their pain is minimized helps me to deal with it as well...

17. dyachei

dyachei vet robot pirate zombie
    Administrator Veterinarian 10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Just to show that it can affect the greater good: I had a friend who worked in a lab with cats and they did neural scans and such. although they went through quite a few cats, the end result was a very accurate computer model of a cat's brain so that their lab and others like it would not have to sacrifice another cat.

In my own experience with lab animals, the ones we used lived very happily and we only used one or two frogs at a time to harvest eggs to use for research on proteints. It really depends on the lab you work for.

18. kate_g

kate_g Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Man, I hate that misconception.

Happy animals give better data. (Seriously - stress messes up all sorts of physiological parameters and keeps you from figuring out how things work under "natural" conditions, which is usually the implied goal of your research.)

Happy animals --> better data --> more publications --> more funding --> happy researcher. :)

So, researchers in general have a strong motivation to minimize pain and stress in their subjects. And I can't say I've ever met one who didn't take that effort pretty seriously.

19. conservationgal

conservationgal WSU DVM Class of 2011
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Yay for other RAs! Yay for free room and board! :D

Starting in May, I will be training and caring for grizzly bears and working with a veterinary cardiologist to perform heart studies and analyze tissue samples from bear hearts. She is trying to find out why bears can maintain normal heart and muscle function during hibernation and how that can relate to human patients.

20. eventualeventer

eventualeventer Medical Tire Fire
    10+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Equine clinic vet assistant/"tech"/"nurse" here. Not when I'm in school -- the clinic is about 45 miles away (55-80 min, depending on traffic). :( I go sometimes on Fridays (no classes on Fri), but then I'm wrecked and don't get much studying done, and usually end up sleeping in on Saturday. When I'm not in school, I work in the clinic and/or shadow, sometimes literally living there (with one of the vets and his wife).

Sometimes, it seems criminal that I get *paid* to play with the babies. Well, I guess that's only if you count tube feeding, lifting, washing butts, and cursing the g** d*** fluid pump as playing, but I love my job.

21. rexosaurus

rexosaurus CSU PVM c/o 2012
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    as far as the animals well being where i work, its an independent biotech firm that performs pharmaceutical reseach on nonhuman primates; for the most part they are very happy and spoiled. in the event they even start to suffer, they are taken off study. not much suffering here ;)

22. PdxYOSHI

PdxYOSHI Oregon State 2011
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    more research work here. I work for a med school doing genetics research with a knockout mouse model. So its not veterinary work exactly but still animal related.

23. CookieBear

5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Why does this project sound so familiar? I feel like I read about this somewhere recently... in a vet journal/magazine?

Very cool.

24. conservationgal

conservationgal WSU DVM Class of 2011
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Yeah, it is at the WSU Bear Research and Conservation Center and they have been featured on Animal Planet (Steve Irwin even came and did a show on it a few years ago) a lot of times, as well as in magazines and such. It is definitely cool!

25. InfiniVet

5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Full time: Student
    Part time: Small Animal Vet Tech