What kind of job is this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dingdong28

Funny as hell
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not a CC physician (medical lab tech), but I saw this job posting on the Cleveland Clinic website:
(ACUTE CARE NP) REGIONAL CRITICAL CARE HOUSE OFFICER (AVON HOSPITAL)
JOB SUMMARY:

CLEVELAND CLINIC IS CURRENTLY SEEKING ACUTE CARE NURSE PRACTITIONERS FOR A SUCCESSFUL ACUTE CARE NURSE PRACTITIONER LED CRITICAL CARE HOUSE OFFICER POSITION AT AVON HOSPITAL. ACUTE CARE NP EXPERIENCE IS PREFERRED, HOWEVER CANDIDATES WITH AT LEAST 3 YEARS OF CRITICAL CARE RN EXPERIENCE WILL BE CONSIDERED.

THE COVERAGE WILL BE 24/7 TO INCLUDE DAY AND NIGHT SHIFTS.

THE COVERAGE WILL BE FOR ALL SERVICES, AND DUTIES WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO:

PATIENT EVALUATIONS
RAPID RESPONSE/CODES
URGENT PATIENT MANAGEMENT PROCEDURES (AIRWAY, CENTRAL LINES, A-LINES, CHEST TUBES AND OTHER PROCEDURES
CRITICAL ASSESSMENT OF PATIENTS AS REQUIRED
CONTINUAL COMMUNICATION WITH OTHER PROVIDERS INVOLVED WITH THE ADMITTED PATIENTS CARE
AND OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES AS NEEDED

ALL HIRES WILL GO THROUGH AN IN-DEPTH 3-4 MONTH FULLY PAID TRAINING BEFORE BEGINNING THEIR DUTIES AT EACH HOSPITAL. SCHEDULE WILL BE 13 SHIFTS PER MONTH AND WILL INCLUDE ROTATING NIGHTS, WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS.

THE APPROPRIATE CANDIDATE WILL HAVE A QUEST FOR AUTONOMOUS PRACTICE, WORKING AT TOP OF LICENSURE, AND A DESIRE TO BE AN INTEGRAL PART OF A COMMUNITY HOSPITAL SYSTEM. AS A HOUSE OFFICER, CAREGIVERS WILL LOOK TO YOU AS THE RESPONDER TO THEIR NEEDS FOR WHOLE HOSPITAL PATIENT CARE.

CARE DELIVERED FROM THE CRITICAL CARE HOUSE OFFICER IS RAPID, SHORT TERM AND CONCISE TO ALLEVIATE AN IMMEDIATE ISSUE WITH THE HOSPITALIZED PATIENT. HAND OFFS WILL OCCUR CONTINUALLY TO THE STAFF AND SERVICE OF WHICH THE PATIENT IS ADMITTED. TO THAT END, EXCELLENT COMMUNICATION SKILLS WILL BE PARAMOUNT.

NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH A HOSPITALIST ROLE, THE HOUSE OFFICER WILL OVER-SEE THE CARE OF ALL ADMITTED PATIENTS WITHIN THE REGIONAL HOSPITAL. ALL SERVICES CAN AND WILL CALL FOR ASSISTANCE FROM THE HOUSE OFFICER.

How is this something they can get away with? This is why I won't work for the Clinic ever again, at least as a full/part-time employee. They'll compromise patient care for the almighty dollar and bend over backwards for whatever their nurses demand. I'm assuming this is something that happens out in a rural area, but this is literally 15 minutes from Fairview Hospital (level 1 trauma center, huge/decently staffed ICU) or 20-25 minutes from main UH/Cleveland Clinic and Metro. This hospital is not anywhere close to what would be considered BFE.

Members don't see this ad.

So the doc hospitalist maintains all liability for the admitted patient and the hospital avoids hiring an actual critical care doc leaving an NP as the only “backup” if things get out of hand for the hospitalist?

I'm not a CC physician (medical lab tech), but I saw this job posting on the Cleveland Clinic website:
(ACUTE CARE NP) REGIONAL CRITICAL CARE HOUSE OFFICER (AVON HOSPITAL)
JOB SUMMARY:

CLEVELAND CLINIC IS CURRENTLY SEEKING ACUTE CARE NURSE PRACTITIONERS FOR A SUCCESSFUL ACUTE CARE NURSE PRACTITIONER LED CRITICAL CARE HOUSE OFFICER POSITION AT AVON HOSPITAL. ACUTE CARE NP EXPERIENCE IS PREFERRED, HOWEVER CANDIDATES WITH AT LEAST 3 YEARS OF CRITICAL CARE RN EXPERIENCE WILL BE CONSIDERED.

THE COVERAGE WILL BE 24/7 TO INCLUDE DAY AND NIGHT SHIFTS.

THE COVERAGE WILL BE FOR ALL SERVICES, AND DUTIES WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO:

PATIENT EVALUATIONS
RAPID RESPONSE/CODES
URGENT PATIENT MANAGEMENT PROCEDURES (AIRWAY, CENTRAL LINES, A-LINES, CHEST TUBES AND OTHER PROCEDURES
CRITICAL ASSESSMENT OF PATIENTS AS REQUIRED
CONTINUAL COMMUNICATION WITH OTHER PROVIDERS INVOLVED WITH THE ADMITTED PATIENTS CARE
AND OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES AS NEEDED

ALL HIRES WILL GO THROUGH AN IN-DEPTH 3-4 MONTH FULLY PAID TRAINING BEFORE BEGINNING THEIR DUTIES AT EACH HOSPITAL. SCHEDULE WILL BE 13 SHIFTS PER MONTH AND WILL INCLUDE ROTATING NIGHTS, WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS.

THE APPROPRIATE CANDIDATE WILL HAVE A QUEST FOR AUTONOMOUS PRACTICE, WORKING AT TOP OF LICENSURE, AND A DESIRE TO BE AN INTEGRAL PART OF A COMMUNITY HOSPITAL SYSTEM. AS A HOUSE OFFICER, CAREGIVERS WILL LOOK TO YOU AS THE RESPONDER TO THEIR NEEDS FOR WHOLE HOSPITAL PATIENT CARE.

CARE DELIVERED FROM THE CRITICAL CARE HOUSE OFFICER IS RAPID, SHORT TERM AND CONCISE TO ALLEVIATE AN IMMEDIATE ISSUE WITH THE HOSPITALIZED PATIENT. HAND OFFS WILL OCCUR CONTINUALLY TO THE STAFF AND SERVICE OF WHICH THE PATIENT IS ADMITTED. TO THAT END, EXCELLENT COMMUNICATION SKILLS WILL BE PARAMOUNT.

NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH A HOSPITALIST ROLE, THE HOUSE OFFICER WILL OVER-SEE THE CARE OF ALL ADMITTED PATIENTS WITHIN THE REGIONAL HOSPITAL. ALL SERVICES CAN AND WILL CALL FOR ASSISTANCE FROM THE HOUSE OFFICER.

How is this something they can get away with? This is why I won't work for the Clinic ever again, at least as a full/part-time employee. They'll compromise patient care for the almighty dollar and bend over backwards for whatever their nurses demand. I'm assuming this is something that happens out in a rural area, but this is literally 15 minutes from Fairview Hospital (level 1 trauma center, huge/decently staffed ICU) or 20-25 minutes from main UH/Cleveland Clinic and Metro. This hospital is not anywhere close to what would be considered BFE.

^^ as I said before - we need to determine whether if doctors are not needed, why do we still have med schools? Something's gotta give.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So the doc hospitalist maintains all liability for the admitted patient and the hospital avoids hiring an actual critical care doc leaving an NP as the only “backup” if things get out of hand for the hospitalist?
Pretty much. Now I don't think this facility gets a lot of patients, at least that's what I heard back in 2016. They've since expanded it to the 126 bed facility it is today (and they might be expanding it again). If I was a physician working there, I'd be looking to get out ASAP. My favorite line is "CANDIDATES WITH AT LEAST 3 YEARS OF CRITICAL CARE RN EXPERIENCE WILL BE CONSIDERED." Right, because 3 years experience as an ICU RN is the epitome for handling any and all crises.

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty much. Now I don't think this facility gets a lot of patients, at least that's what I heard back in 2016. They've since expanded it to the 126 bed facility it is today (and they might be expanding it again). If I was a physician working there, I'd be looking to get out ASAP. My favorite line is "CANDIDATES WITH AT LEAST 3 YEARS OF CRITICAL CARE RN EXPERIENCE WILL BE CONSIDERED." Right, because 3 years experience as an ICU RN is the epitome for handling any and all crises.

The Clev Clinic clearly has no shame.

They are looking for an algorithm follower that they can train and cheaply employ. If **** hits the fan...transfer patient.

Never understood how medicine has such an extreme standard for doing X job but lets midlevels come in and do that exact same job with no care in the world.

Reactions: 5 users
Never understood how medicine has such an extreme standard for doing X job but lets midlevels come in and do that exact same job with no care in the world.

There has got to be an actuary somewhere in this process who calculated the cost benefit scenario and came up with an acceptable losses value somewhere...

Sorry for the bump but this position is advertised for all of the regional hospitals now, INCLUDING THE MAIN CAMPUS:

I remember when I shadowed an anesthesiologist at one of the hospitals listed, I came across SRNAs and DNP students doing rotations in the OR/L&D. I remember an SRNA was doing an assignment where they were coloring and matching OR equipment. I'm trying not to be so judgmental because I don't know what program they were from/have personal experience, but I couldn't believe that was considered an assignment for a grade. The DNP student only had to do 5 intubations and struggled with 2 of them when I was present. I hope whatever training the Clinic puts them through their orientation will be more than enough because these students didn't get a lot of experience during their rotations.

Sorry for the bump but this position is advertised for all of the regional hospitals now, INCLUDING THE MAIN CAMPUS:

I remember when I shadowed an anesthesiologist at one of the hospitals listed, I came across SRNAs and DNP students doing rotations in the OR/L&D. I remember an SRNA was doing an assignment where they were coloring and matching OR equipment. I'm trying not to be so judgmental because I don't know what program they were from/have personal experience, but I couldn't believe that was considered an assignment for a grade. The DNP student only had to do 5 intubations and struggled with 2 of them when I was present. I hope whatever training the Clinic puts them through their orientation will be more than enough because these students didn't get a lot of experience during their rotations.
No it won’t be enough. In order for it to be enough you’d need 4 years of medical school followed by 4 years of an anesthesiology residency, in regards to your srna comment (or 3 years of IM residency + 2-3 years of critical care fellowship, in reply to this *****ic ad).

Dont fool yourself into thinking ANYTHING the clinic puts them through will even be scratching the surface of what’s best for patients, the knowledge needed for competency, and the time needed for understanding: you can’t distill 8-9 grueling years into this crap.

Last edited:
No it won’t be enough. In order for it to be enough you’d need 4 years of medical school followed by 4 years of an anesthesiology residency, in regards to your srna comment (or 3 years of IM residency + 2-3 years of critical care fellowship, in reply to this *****ic ad).

Dont fool yourself into thinking ANYTHING the clinic puts them through will even be scratching the surface of what’s best for patients, the knowledge needed for competency, and the time needed for understanding: you can’t distill 8-9 grueling years into this crap.
Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like I think they'll be prepared after the clinic puts them through their orientation. These job posts and what I've read about midlevels are the exact reasons why I still work in the lab. The only midlevel positions I've ever considered are anesthesiologist assistant and pathologist assistant because their mission is to work under the guidance of a physician without the idea of becoming an independent practitioner. If I want to be the head honcho and work independently, I'll go to medical school

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like I think they'll be prepared after the clinic puts them through their orientation. These job posts and what I've read about midlevels are the exact reasons why I still work in the lab. The only midlevel positions I've ever considered are anesthesiologist assistant and pathologist assistant because their mission is to work under the guidance of a physician without the idea of becoming an independent practitioner. If I want to be the head honcho and work independently, I'll go to medical school
Wasn’t aimed at you! Just a general comment :). No need to be sorry at all!! Both of the routes you listed are great routes and very helpful, along with working in the lab (something I did back in the day myself haha!).

Good luck to you in whatever you choose!

Wasn’t aimed at you! Just a general comment :). No need to be sorry at all!! Both of the routes you listed are great routes and very helpful, along with working in the lab (something I did back in the day myself haha!).

Good luck to you in whatever you choose!
Thank you for the kind words. You worked in the lab too? It's nice seeing another fellow labortorian here! Some days I love working in the lab. Others days I look for greener pastures. I've been considering anesthesiologist assistant for a while now, but the tuition is what's holding me back. Path assistant would be neat, but the closest program is 2 hours away

It depends - If I'm eligible for the GI bill, it could be as little as $60-70k going off of being accepted into CWRU's program, not including undergrad. Undergrad would push it closer to $100k if I don't pay it off before AA school. If I'm ineligible for the GI bill, closer to $140-160k including living expenses (GI bill would cover part of the living expenses) and closer to $190-200k including undergrad. My goal would be to pay off my undergrad/other expenses before embarking on the AA/P(hysician)A route. This pandemic opened my eyes a bit to the limitation to AA with elective surgeries shutting down and P(hysician)A still being able to help.

I guess it's either stick to what I currently like, am good at and move up into an administration/manager/director role, or take what've learned/skills I've honed in on and use them towards something else. I know lab managers/directors do very well and can make similar to what PAs make and a little less than what an AA makes. Not everything is about money, but I don't want to be living with student debt for a long time. I want to be good at what I do and stay intellectually stimulated.

Not saying NPs are qualified to do such job, but we have to be honest here... Med school is overkill... 3 yr prereqs, 3 yrs med school and 2-6 yrs residency should be the norm.