What kind of jobs should I be doing to get a feel for social work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShortButSweet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently a senior at the University of South Carolina and will be receiving my BS in Experimental Psychology. Originally, I was a nursing student until about a year ago, but found that I enjoyed the therapy side much more and nursing couldn't give me that. I'm also fascinated by psychology: especially psychological disorders and the way they manifest themselves. I thought I wanted to get my PhD in clinical psychology, but I have found that I don't have the desire to perform all the research involved for numerous years. I really just want to perform therapy with clients. Then I started looking into a Masters in Clinical Mental Health ( a friend who had been listening to my interests thought that it would fit me). However, seeing as the outcomes for the CMH are much less positive than that of a MSW, so I have started looking into MSW programs with a clinical focus. I one day want to have a private practice. Also, I like the flexibility of scope that MSW has and the holistic approach involved. I am currently an Applied Behavior Analysis Line Therapist with autistic children and I do love it. However, I am thinking that I probably need to "test the social work waters" now to see if I like it. I was wondering what jobs would be best to discover if this is my passion. Since I am a full-time undergraduate student, part time and flexible jobs would be best. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Staff at a group home for severely mentally ill would be a good place to get a feel for it. Also, check with your local community mental health agency to see if they have any jobs or volunteer options.

Reactions: 1 user