What kind of LORs do you guys have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myst

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From whom are you guys getting your LORs? It seems everywhere I look they are asking for a LOR from professors.. but in universities where each class has 300 students, how can the professor vouch for what kind of person you are?

Members don't see this ad.

myst said:
From whom are you guys getting your LORs? It seems everywhere I look they are asking for a LOR from professors.. but in universities where each class has 300 students, how can the professor vouch for what kind of person you are?

you should try to get one from your parents. they know you much better than your professors. i got one from your mom.

are all your posts this useful

Members don't see this ad :)
myst said:

Mine looked like this

4 Professors (1 prof/project advisor, 1 bioengineering prof, 1 science prof, 1 non-science prof)

1 Research Mentor

All of these people knew me on a personal level

myst said:
this is why you visit this prof a lot, ask him questions outside of class, be active in class, maybe eventually TA or grade for him or do research with him. seeing as how there are a ton of premeds at each university, taking all the same prerequisite courses, you're going to have to separate yourself. don't walk up to your prof and expect him to write an LOR for you unless you want a cookie cutter/non-personal LOR. establish the rapport, then ask for the LOR.

now i'm not your typical, straight out of college applicant, but this is what my letters look like:

1 from a biology lab professor that i got to know well in and out of class/lab and eventually TAed for, 2 from 2 doctors i performed research under for 1 year each, and 1 from a community service organization i've served/participated in for 3 years.

ironmanf14 said:
Mine looked like this

4 Professors (1 prof/project advisor, 1 bioengineering prof, 1 science prof, 1 non-science prof)

1 Research Mentor

All of these people knew me on a personal level
Neat
Did you work with the professors? Ask a lot of questions? How did they get to know you?

My LOR's came from professors that I got to know.

For example, I took the honors chemistry class for gen chem II (based on chem I performance), O-chem 1 and o-chem 2. This resulted in much smaller class sizes. That allowed me to get to know the prof through office hours. I also have one from a physics prof who taught both semesters, so by the end of the year, I'd gotten to know him very well (played golf over the summer with him). They are all excited to see you succeed. If you're excited about their material and the key it holds for your future, they'll join in. This was my experience anyway. Hope this helps.

myst said:
Neat
Did you work with the professors? Ask a lot of questions? How did they get to know you?

no,yes, because i was in their class and was interested in the material (not just asking what will be on the test)

myst said:

One of my letters is from a prof who barely knows me. I was one student in a class of 300 also, and I didnt do well in his class either B+. But he was super nice and gave me a letter. I am sure its not the best letter, but it should not be bad either..

Usually a bad letter can really hurt you, on the same token a really good letter doesnt help you much either...so just go ahead and ask him/her for it...