What kind of marks needed for UK & Ireland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabs24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a canadian student thinking about applying to undergraduate medical schools in the UK and Ireland. But I'm totally confused as to what constitutes "competitive" marks in terms of requirements. The requirements for students in Britain and Ireland mean nothing to me and I would imagine international students would need higher marks due to the limited number of spaces available.

Everytime I email a school they send me one of those annoying automated replies that are completely irrelevant to my questions. Can any canadians out there give me some concrete numbers?!? I graduated from highschool with a 91% average...where do i stand?

Also, the requirements for community service and volunteer work seem kind of ambiguous in the explanations given on most websites. Again, concrete examples would be EXTREMELY helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

AHahah, I have the exact same quuestion and the exact average as you....
I think alot of people want ot know.

Hey Gabs and V-man.....Thought I'd answer your questions....The atlantic bridge can be ambiguous. Im 23 and am completing an undergrad in biochem (i also did CEGEP). I was accepted into UCD with a 3.85/4 and a 36P MCAT. Where i stand on the "competitive applicant" scale i have no idea. No matter what, you have little to lose in applying (except some cash) so go for it.

Even better, go through the archive for this forum, and you can read tons of posts by people asking the same question, and people who have been accepted for the past several years posting their stats.

It's quite the resource.