What kind of MCAT score do I need?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halfcourt95k

Reaction score
Will be graduating in 3 years plus one summer with a BS in Exercise Science and a minor in Psych.

3.95 cum GPA, ~3.7 sci

98th percentile on the TEAS (entrance exam for RN program, accepted into local program)

39 years old, Hispanic male, Northern CA, transferred to CSU Stanislaus from community college

Held a union job for 12 years before deciding to go to school, homeowner

BLS certificate, EKG cert

60~ hours of dissection (human cadavers) (this professor will also be writing me a very nice letter)

Congressional award for working with disabled children

Held part time job at community college for over a year now in a museum of CA wildlife

I have 4 kids, one 'adopted' (my wife and I have had guardianship for over a year now)

Several years coaching kids' sports (4 seasons soccer, one basketball), 2 summers (200hrs) counseling at a church camp

Competed in powerlifting for 5 years at the lower national level before I had an injury a couple years ago, competed in 2011 Olympia

What should I aim for on the MCAT? Do I have any chance?

I jumped into school head first a couple years ago not knowing exactly what I'm doing.... wish I would have planned this out a little better, but if not, I know I can get into a DPT program... I feel like I do amazing on standardized tests to be honest... but I know this won't be easy...

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your shadowing and clinical volunteering? Get 50 hours of shadowing and 200 hours of clinical volunteering. Then you’ll need a 505 for DO schools, a 510 for your state schools, a 515 for midtiers, and a 520 if you want to shoot for the moon and the likes of Harvard or Yale. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Where is your shadowing and clinical volunteering? Get 50 hours of shadowing and 200 hours of clinical volunteering. Then you’ll need a 505 for DO schools, a 510 for your state schools, a 515 for midtiers, and a 520 if you want to shoot for the moon and the likes of Harvard or Yale. Good luck.
Does my shadowing have to be with a MD, or would it be appropriate to shadow a DPT? Same with the clinical volunteering, what types of settings are appropriate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does my shadowing have to be with a MD, or would it be appropriate to shadow a DPT? Same with the clinical volunteering, what types of settings are appropriate?

Your shadowing will have to be with an MD or DO, ideally a good mix between primary care and some specialty (e.g. cardiology).

Why medicine? Why now? Do you have all of the prereqs? When are you thinking of applying? What Hispanic group do you represent? Why not pursue nursing and do APN? Might be a good option for someone as busy and as committed as your life seems to be. DPT is also another option and you’ll easily find a job. Good luck to you!

Why medicine? Why now? Do you have all of the prereqs? When are you thinking of applying? What Hispanic group do you represent? Why not pursue nursing and do APN? Might be a good option for someone as busy and as committed as your life seems to be. DPT is also another option and you’ll easily find a job. Good luck to you!
Thank you for proposing some serious questions that I really need to think about. I'm half-Mexican, and represent as mostly hispanic... although I'm not very good with Spanish to be completely honest.

Why now? I really love to help people. I have done a good job at taking care of my family, and wish I could do more for others. I believe strongly in the style of Hippocrates. That is why I have a minor in Psych and took the Kinesiology route.

I would still need the O Chem series for most schools. Nor have I taken any Biochem. But I scored in the 88th percentile in both first and second term ACS exams. I have a very natural aptitude towards Biology.

Your shadowing will have to be with an MD or DO, ideally a good mix between primary care and some specialty (e.g. cardiology).
Wow, OK... do cardiologists naturally just let any student shadow? How do I initiate this? I do want to be a heart surgeon, that is my passion.

Wow, OK... do cardiologists naturally just let any student shadow? How do I initiate this? I do want to be a heart surgeon, that is my passion.

Can't tell from your summary profile whether you work in the healthcare field or not.

Those of us who don't work in the healthcare field typically ask friends of friends who are doctors, our own doctors, our family's doctors, etc. It isn't easy to convince doctors to allow one to shadow. Someone in the health care field already (perhaps you) might have better connections.

As far as coursework, schools typically require:

2 semesters of bio including lab
2 semesters of gen chemistry including lab
2 semesters of organic chemistry including lab
2 semesters of physics including lab

Many also require or recommend

upper level bio courses
biochemistry
social science and humanities classes
at least one semester of college English

Honestly, I feel like you have a lot of unique life experience and a high enough GPA that if you get a relatively high MCAT score, get sufficient clinical exposure (volunteer + shadowing), and have good reasons for pursuing an MD, top tiers would probably be interested, from what I've seen.

Certainly valid. I hate to raise the topic, and hope that it might not be a factor for him. However, might it be harder for OP to get into medical school as he wouldn’t be starting practice until he was around 50 years old, give or take a few years? I don’t know too much about this; this subject would probably be a better one for adcoms like @Goro, @LizzyM, @Faha, @Moko, @Catalystik, or @gyngyn to weigh in on. Age-discrimination worries aside, star-lily’s comment is dead on.

Certainly valid. I hate to raise the topic, and hope that it might not be a factor for him. However, might it be harder for OP to get into medical school as he wouldn’t be starting practice until he was around 50 years old, give or take a few years? I don’t know too much about this; this subject would probably be a better one for adcoms like @Goro, @LizzyM, @Faha, @Moko, @Catalystik, or @gyngyn to weigh in on. Age-discrimination worries aside, star-lily’s comment is dead on.
some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s. graduated one stellar one at age 50; she's an attending now in southern CA

Successful CA applicants had a mean MCAT of 513.4. https://www.aamc.org/download/321502/data/factstablea20.pdf
Improve your language skills if you are going to make a convincing case that you intend to serve the Hispanic community.
You need to shadow physicians...40 hours would be fine (primary care is especially helpful). Sub-specialty is not necessary.
Be prepared to leave CA (no matter how strong your ap).

Be prepared to leave CA (no matter how strong your ap).

This is my major concern with regard to the OP. Homeowner with responsibility for 4 children means that the flexibility to move for med school and then move again for residency might be a tremendous challenge.

OP: if you would be happy doing DPT, go that route... 3 years and you are in practice compared with so many more years, and the likelihood of multiple relocations with MD or DO.