what kind of medicine do you want to practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had asked me this question when I first started this process, I would have said that ortho was far and away my first choice. I was open to other ideas, but I knew I'd still eventually end up at ortho. I have a kinesiology degree, I know my musculoskeletal anatomy pretty well, and I kind of "look like an orthopedist".

Now that I've spent the past few years volunteering at the trauma center, I'm thinking ER might not be a bad way to go. Or maybe some kind of trauma surgery.

So now I've got a client who is an anesthesia resident, and she loves it. And my dermatologist (DMU grad) keeps telling me to go derm. And this dude banks.

And honestly, the lifestyle of a primary care physician is pretty attractive too. Liability seems low, and you can set up a practice anywhere you want. There is always a demand.

So I have decided that I like everything, and I will go into it with an open mind. But as of now, if I had to pick today, ortho and er would be my top choices.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree that you need to go into it with an open mind. Even after the first two years of med school, if you think your set on a speacialty, during rotations you might change. As of today, I kinda want to do one of the Family Medicine-Emergency medicine residency. I do enjoy being in the OR, so maybe surgery?

Emergency medicine all the way. I like going to work not knowing what will happen- I think it's boring having a set schedule of patients. The ER is also where I'll see the greatest variety of patients.

Of course, my mind could change... but we'll see what happens!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have had my heart set on Women's health for such a long time. As a woman I personally know what a difference it makes to have a female PCP. And seeing that my MPH is in Maternal and Children Health, I would have to say that right now if I had to pick it would be Family Practice, with an emphasis on maternal health.

On the other hand, my BS in Microbiology and I LOVE diseases--so disease prevention, infectious disease is right up there.

I also plan on working as much as possible overseas, and knowing what is most needed, I would like to stay as general as possible. So no sub-speciality of a speciality for me!

I am so open to exploring and figureing out what I want to practice, but I think I know deep in my soul that it will be Family or General Practice that focuses on disease and unintended pregnancy prevention.

I'd thought neurosurgeon for a while. My lab tech job includes a generous helping of brain implants on rats. It was exciting for a month. Now I wish there were more variety. I get pissed off at myself if I forget my iPod on days I'm implanting. So, I was thinking ER, but, at the same time, I know myself. I don't really thrive in split second decision making situations. So I started shadowing a family medicine doc near my office. I saw a huge variety of stuff varying from gyno to allergies to sebaceous cyst removal. I'm thinking this is my calling. I'm pretty interested in rural medicine as well. I'm from a town of 5600 people, and I have enough experience with it to know that I really love country living...

I have had my heart set on Women's health for such a long time. As a woman I personally know what a difference it makes to have a female PCP. And seeing that my MPH is in Maternal and Children Health, I would have to say that right now if I had to pick it would be Family Practice, with an emphasis on maternal health.

On the other hand, my BS in Microbiology and I LOVE diseases--so disease prevention, infectious disease is right up there.

I also plan on working as much as possible overseas, and knowing what is most needed, I would like to stay as general as possible. So no sub-speciality of a speciality for me!

I am so open to exploring and figureing out what I want to practice, but I think I know deep in my soul that it will be Family or General Practice that focuses on disease and unintended pregnancy prevention.
I know some girls you might like. Want me to hook you up?

you know TT, I've been contemplating this question as well. I feel the same way you do too, if I had to pick when I started this it would have been cardiology or ortho. Now, working in the ER for so long, I really, really like it. And to throw a wrench into the equation, I was talking to a doctor friend of mine last Sunday and he said something that really made me rethink things. I (and the majority of my friends) am an adrenaline junky. Working in the ER uses some adrenaline, sometimes a lot. I figure that I can get my rush from mountain biking, snowboarding, motorcycling, etc., and not be so drained from work too. But then again, maybe that will keep it interesting enough that I wont get bored/burned out and I'll absolutely love going to work everyday... well, as much as one could enjoy going to work that is.

Also, you have to think, as an ER doc you work weekends, nights, holidays, etc. But as an ortho, once you get out of school, you could see patients MTWF, and do all your surgeries on Thursdays. And you could specialize in knees or shoulders, or whatever. You would still have to be on call every 6th or 7th weekend depending on the size of the group you were in, but for the most part, its a pretty stable schedule.

I really dont know what I want to do either... Just some random thoughts from speaking to a few that are already out and practicing mixed with my own thoughts. And hey, what do I know, I'm just a pre-med? ;)

Oh, and I'm working in an ER now as a tech, and I absolutely love it. Its what has drawn me to the ER specialty as a real option.

I have the same question but in reference to the UMDNJ secondary. They ask what specialty or area or something you're interested in going into. Should I just list some? I mean I'm mainly interested in Emergency Medicine and OB/GYN, possibly Peds or Family Practice but really I'm open to almost everything. Do I just pick my top few and list those?

Don't try to out-think the essay prompts. Just answer the question honestly. This isn't the MCAT, where you will be severely penalized if you don't stick to the exact topic. Read between the lines: they want to know what kind of medicine you are interested in, and probably why. So just tell them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Internal Medicine

Internal medicine/Peds
Family medicine
PM&R

Watch me end up in pathology...

Years ago when med school was a distant "I'll never do that" kind of thing, I thought orthopedics was way cool. Still is. But before I entered med school I had developed a fascination for Radiology. Still have it.

Right now, I'd say rads is at the top of my list due to technology. I like the idea of implants and stuff for ortho more than I do the actual day to day job, and I've learned the hard way not to choose a career based only on intellectual subject material but rather on a "what does X do in a typical day" basis. Rads satisfies pretty every line of questioning right now, but it might change.

Derm is the one I would love to love, but don't.

I just really want a private practice. At first I wanted plastics, then Family Med, now I find derm very interesting so ... I don't know right now. Don't want to get too stuck on anything!!

I'm would love to become a Family Practice Physician in a rural area (TN/KY) and also work in the OB/GYN field as well.

At one of my interviews, the interviewer said " I assume you want to do family practice." Picture me, totally caught off guard: I spent half of my essay talking about my specialty since it's what I've been doing for a very long time, and I even mentioned it earlier in my interview regarding questions about why I was pursue the DO. I was honest, I mentioned that I didn't want to do FP, but my specialty.

I know many people who go into an interview and say I want to do IM and work in a poor rural area -- then they come out and say I want to do this specialty of that specialty to the rest of us. I think it is OK to say you don't know, as well as saying that you want to do a specific field. To me, what is important is being honest, because the med schools faculty interview so so so many people that they can read right through someone lying.

Sports Medicine sounds fun. I'm not sure exactly what they do though...

I've worked in sports medicine for over 10 years now in a physical therapy setting. I still don't know what "sports medicine" is, other than a slick-sounding term used to draw in athletes to health care providers. Most athletes go to their "sports medicine" doctor vs an orthopedist. Oftentimes they are one in the same.

Sports medicine is different, depending on the sport. For baseball, it is testosterone analogs. For football and basketball, it is marijuana. For cycling, it is erythropoiten. And so on.

Anesthesia. Good lifestyle and all the ones that I work with are happier than other docs that I've seen around.

At first when I was contemplating on med school my heart was set on Primary Care (Oddly enough..to some people) because I liked the hours/the fact that you can be someones doctor basically throughout their entire life, however as I conducted some self research and read up on other specialties I realized that I need to go into it with an open mind. Because, Neurology, EM, Cardiology, and some surgical specialties interest me as well.

I read somewhere over a year or so ago (and I believe it was a very reliable source) that over 83% of med students change their original choice of specialty atleast once throughout the course of MS III & IV due to rotations, patient interactions...etc....

So I think I might be within that top 83%, I almost forgot to mention that within this 83% MANY were forced to choose another specialty due to low boards..... :(

Just keep an open mind.

If you know what you want to do then do it, however don't let ignorance get factored in when contemplating on specialties because it might cause you to overlook other wonderful specialties (LIKE FP or IM....:D)

Sports medicine is different, depending on the sport. For baseball, it is testosterone analogs. For football and basketball, it is marijuana. For cycling, it is erythropoiten. And so on.

lol its funny how no one thinks those freak football players are on steroids...

Y'all can laugh at me in 10 years when I've caved for something easier, but at this point:

- infectious disease
- academic appt in the US (an attending)
- running a clinic in Nicaragua

Or EM or trauma surg (ortho or vascular).

you know TT, I've been contemplating this question as well. I feel the same way you do too, if I had to pick when I started this it would have been cardiology or ortho. Now, working in the ER for so long, I really, really like it. And to throw a wrench into the equation, I was talking to a doctor friend of mine last Sunday and he said something that really made me rethink things. I (and the majority of my friends) am an adrenaline junky. Working in the ER uses some adrenaline, sometimes a lot. I figure that I can get my rush from mountain biking, snowboarding, motorcycling, etc., and not be so drained from work too. But then again, maybe that will keep it interesting enough that I wont get bored/burned out and I'll absolutely love going to work everyday... well, as much as one could enjoy going to work that is.

Also, you have to think, as an ER doc you work weekends, nights, holidays, etc. But as an ortho, once you get out of school, you could see patients MTWF, and do all your surgeries on Thursdays. And you could specialize in knees or shoulders, or whatever. You would still have to be on call every 6th or 7th weekend depending on the size of the group you were in, but for the most part, its a pretty stable schedule.

I really dont know what I want to do either... Just some random thoughts from speaking to a few that are already out and practicing mixed with my own thoughts. And hey, what do I know, I'm just a pre-med? ;)
Isn't this like a pulmonologist who likes nothing more than huffing down a couple packs of smokes?

Haha, we have a biochem prof who called motorcycles "organ-cycles".

Isn't this like a pulmonologist who likes nothing more than huffing down a couple packs of smokes?

Haha, we have a biochem prof who called motorcycles "organ-cycles".

I like "donorcycles," better; it even rhymes with motorcycle, somewhat.

With that said, I thoroughly plan to have a collection that contains a nice Ducati 1098, Aprilia RSV Mille, MV Agusta F4 Tamburini, Kwak ZX-14, Yammy YZF-R1, and a Smart Diablo (Smart ForTwo - crap engine + turboed 'Busa engine).

(BTW, those are all motorcycles.)

I've been asked this in an interview and my response is that I'm hoping 3/4th year rotations help me figure out my interests.

I like gas, surgery, ER, OB (although the hours can suck), some IM specialties, and FP if it includes OB.

Usually the motorcyclists aren't the bad drivers - it's the jerks who don't see them :eek:
Ok, but you're the one flying down the highway in a vehicle that is known to be tricky to be seen by these "jerks" I hate to say you're asking for it but.......

My favorite is the pods of chemical and electrical engineers riding their Harley's to and from work. Pocket protector brigade. Most of these folks are safe, but it cracks me up when they try to pull of the "Bad to the Bone" look. I just want to run up and give'em the biggest atomic wedgie.

Meg I'd never do that to you...don't want my ass kicked.

My favorite is the pods of chemical and electrical engineers riding their Harley's to and from work. Pocket protector brigade. Most of these folks are safe, but it cracks me up when they try to pull of the "Bad to the Bone" look. I just want to run up and give'em the biggest atomic wedgie.

Meg I'd never do that to you...don't want my ass kicked.

because you know I'm not in that brigade ;)

We ride choppers, not store-bought :D Although I'm relegated to my Honda while my Sportster is being worked on by my hubby.

I bartended on 6th street for six years. Harley rally weekend was always full of those types. A bunch of computer programmers and lawyers who put on their leather and act tough for a couple days.

Ok, but you're the one flying down the highway in a vehicle that is known to be tricky to be seen by these "jerks" I hate to say you're asking for it but.......

I don't fly down the highway. As far as I know my tires are on the pavement. My headlight flickers, and my bike is red. Plus, I typically ride in a group, where there are 2+ headlights flickering. How can you not see that? Well, if you're on your cell phone, eating a sammich, changing CDs, or putting on your makeup maybe.

You be sure to give all those excuses to the jury :rolleyes:

I bartended on 6th street for six years. Harley rally weekend was always full of those types. A bunch of computer programmers and lawyers who put on their leather and act tough for a couple days.

Actually, I got no problem with that. It's a liberating feeling to be on a bike and no one "owns" the road.

I've been to enough rallies that if you keep to yourself and not stir up action no one cares who you are or what you ride.

I think I'm most interested in psychiatry and addiction medicine. I want to live in a rural area with a large minority population. Other specialties I am interested in are radiology, emergency medicine, and maybe surgery.

Areas I have absolutely no interest in are anything to do with OBGYN, pediatirics, and dermatology.

Good call on the rural area - I think the area is more important to me at this point.

I don't want to live somewhere >150k, preferably in a smaller town. In IL anything south of I-80 is a "small town" :laugh:

Yeah, I would like to live in the country eventually and I want to live near a smaller town hopefully in a geologically attractive area. Lincoln's really getting too big for me at 250,000. I'd also prefer less than 100,000 to 150,000 but it needs to be big enough to have a 24 hr grocery store that is open on Sundays and preferably a community college or 4 yr college. I lived in a town of about 1000 when I was a kid where everything would close at 5 on Fridays. We always had a mad rush to the store and to get gas right after school on Fridays and there was kind of an anxiety about not being able to make it through the weekend. I don't want to live in a town like that.

On another note, I have always wanted to get a motorcycle one day but I have an uncle who has a paralyzed arm from a motorcycle accident and my SO's father is a parapalegic from a motorcycle accident. It kind of scares me too much. I do however want to go to Sturgis one day bc I love the Black Hills and I have to see Jackyl play one day bc I absolutely love them.

I think my favorite has to be the Lumberjack song. I honestly can not go a week without getting my fill of Jackyl still after like ten years.

i know the answer is really supposed to become more clear once we go through rotations--but i am going to submit that i want to go into Pediatrics as a preliminary goal for right now.

Actually, I got no problem with that. It's a liberating feeling to be on a bike and no one "owns" the road.

I've been to enough rallies that if you keep to yourself and not stir up action no one cares who you are or what you ride.
Haha, wow. My point is that it is a stupid, unsafe decision to get on a motorcycle. You can't really argue with stats. Now if it's fun, that's another story. Personally I'm not that interested in finding out. I came across the scene of a horrible motorcycling accident in northern Minnesota and it was hands down the most disturbing thing I've ever seen. I heard later how it happened and let's just say if that guy had been in a car he would still be alive.

I'd like to go into family practice and incorporate alternative and complementary approaches to medicine.

I am interested in Women's Health and, I don't even know if this exists some sort of practice that integrates families as a unit, something that acknowledges the health of members of a family are affected by the other family members health. Some exention of fetal-maternal health.

Haha, wow. My point is that it is a stupid, unsafe decision to get on a motorcycle. You can't really argue with stats. Now if it's fun, that's another story. Personally I'm not that interested in finding out. I came across the scene of a horrible motorcycling accident in northern Minnesota and it was hands down the most disturbing thing I've ever seen. I heard later how it happened and let's just say if that guy had been in a car he would still be alive.

Really? 'cause I've seen more car accidents (and been in more car accidents) as a biker. Thanks for your concern, but I'm going to keep riding.

What statistics? The one that says more people die each year in cars than on a motorcycle?

You are probably going to say "yes, but the percentage of motorcyclists that die on motorcycles is higher." This is true, but is it simply because they are on a motorcycle? No; it's because the majority of motorcycle riders, especially the ones on the types of bikes that are frequently in crashes (supersports; Kawasakis, Suzukis, Yamahas, Hondas), are young men. They buy the motorcycle so they can do wheelies and do flybys on the highway at 150 mph.

I believe the reason the death rate is so bad is because of the quality of people buying bikes, not because they are intrinsically more dangerous. A motorcycle is more responsive to your reflexes. If someone is about to bump you from the side, a quick lean and you are out of the way. Secondly, the acceleration is unrivaled. If you need to quickly speed up to avoid something, you have a better chance of doing so on a bike than a car. Unless you are driving a Ferrari.

Seeing as megboo is not a 21 year old male with massive amounts of testosterone flowing, I don't think the statistics really apply. Plus, she rides choppers, which I know have lower rates of accidents and deaths than sport bikes.