rcwhite007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2005
91
1
N'awlins
Status
Medical Student
I am curious. I like to listen to classical. Anything with words has me up and singing or slapping the beat on my desk.
 

supafield

Dream Big
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 18, 2006
676
0
Florida
Status
rcwhite007 said:
I am curious. I like to listen to classical. Anything with words has me up and singing or slapping the beat on my desk.

I'm a big indie rock guy.... when it comes to studying I pick stuff the tends to be more instrumental and mellow....I love broken social scene and prefuse 73 when I study... minimal lyrics and just pleasant concentration noise lol...
 

Moses MD

I got a staff
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2006
53
0
34
Status
Pre-Medical
This will sound ****** or dorky, or both, but I listen to EK Audio Osmosis while I read the EK lecture. Or I listen to nothing at all, depends how in depth I want to read.
 
About the Ads

mcat_study

eukaryote
10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2006
176
1
Status
Pre-Medical
Moses MD said:
This will sound ****** or dorky, or both, but I listen to EK Audio Osmosis while I read the EK lecture. Or I listen to nothing at all, depends how in depth I want to read.
i listen to cnn when i am looking thru the material. weird? :oops: i have soooo much to review that silence is unbearable. of course when taking timed exams---nothing, no music, or TV :laugh:

p.s. i do turn on classical music when trying to fall asleep though.
 

MyInitialsAreJC

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2006
157
0
39
www.myspace.com
Status
Pre-Medical
noise of any sort is a distraction to me - why i gave up studying at book stores w/ people chatting and coffee machines running.

quiet study room at the library is the best thing ive discovered.

too bad all the school libraries are shortening their hours cuz summer classes are over.

anyone study in a public library?
 

odddodo

Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2006
135
0
Status
Movie and TV soundtracks for me. Yup. I associate music with scenes or emotions a lot, so it makes life more fun when I'm doing something boring (like studying).
 

dr.kicia

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
2,006
1
where the heart is***
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
lately i listen to TOOL...Maynard's voice calms me down...
I used to be against listening to music while studying but i noticed that my brain tends to associate better with sound.
I like music while learning math or doing physics, chem problems. When i have to just plain read i prefare to study in a silent room.
 

geno2568

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
408
0
34
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
dr.kicia said:
lately i listen to TOOL...Maynard's voice calms me down...
I used to be against listening to music while studying but i noticed that my brain tends to associate better with sound.
I like music while learning math or doing physics, chem problems. When i have to just plain read i prefare to study in a silent room.
tool is good study music, i must admit......though for really hardcore studying, its better to listen to stuff you can sing along to, so i pick stuff in other languages

Aria is a russian metal band thats really good (considered the Russian Iron Maiden)
Shakira's spanish stuff is good if yur in a happy mood
 

Darlaa

Paper Bag Princess
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2006
73
0
Ontario
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm a SomaFm.com fan-Groove Salad all the way. There's very little spoken word which I usually would find distracting.
 

GuzzyRon

Son of the Son of Man
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
1,058
28
Under the shadow of the Almighty
Status
Attending Physician
I don't listen to music when I study. I like pin-drop silence in my study environment. The moment ANY kind of music comes on my mind start to wander and I lose concentration. Sucks I know but what can I do? :oops:
 

Hardbody

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
743
2
Status
rcwhite007 said:
I am curious. I like to listen to classical. Anything with words has me up and singing or slapping the beat on my desk.
I need complete quiet when I study, but when I take break I am listening to Audioslave on my iPod Nano.
 

WilliamsF1

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
8,469
1
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
dr.kicia said:
lately i listen to TOOL...Maynard's voice calms me down...
I used to be against listening to music while studying but i noticed that my brain tends to associate better with sound.
I like music while learning math or doing physics, chem problems. When i have to just plain read i prefare to study in a silent room.
Tool and APC for me, too, but I don't listen to music much when studying. The Mars Volta would be impossible for me to get any studying done.
 
About the Ads

lytesnsyrens

The Phoenix...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
3,578
3
38
Down Under
www.facebook.com
Status
Non-Student
I usually don't listen to anything, but once I studied along to Foghat (70s band) and aced the test the next morning. I just kept singing the song along in my head and remembered everything. I don't think that'll work for the MCAT though. :(
 

legobikes

bikes made of lego
10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
242
4
Status
Medical Student
usually powerpop like weezer and ozma, sometimes spoon or other mellow stuff, sometimes reggae or oldschool ska. anything with a constant beat.
 

Esteban

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2006
764
3
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
I have about 400 80's songs on shuffle and loop on WinAmp.
 

STIG

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2004
174
0
NY
Status
Pre-Dental
Linkin Park. and I told my mom that I want to be a rock star if i dont do well on MCAT.
 

legobikes

bikes made of lego
10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
242
4
Status
Medical Student
this thread is empirical evidence that premeds have bad taste in music.
 

lytesnsyrens

The Phoenix...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
3,578
3
38
Down Under
www.facebook.com
Status
Non-Student
dc52e55 said:
Linkin Park. and I told my mom that I want to be a rock star if i dont do well on MCAT.
That's funny, I said that too. Yep, I'm gonna be a rockstar if I don't blow this thing out of the water. I better brush up on my keyboarding skills...
 

Timmythemic22

Beep Beep Ribby Ribby
10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2004
1,209
24
37
NJ
Status
legobikes said:
usually powerpop like weezer and ozma, sometimes spoon or other mellow stuff, sometimes reggae or oldschool ska. anything with a constant beat.
wow! Ozma's still around? Awesome.

I've been listening to Doves lately while studying... I love that band.
 
OP
rcwhite007

rcwhite007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2005
91
1
N'awlins
Status
Medical Student
lytesnsyrens said:
I usually don't listen to anything, but once I studied along to Foghat (70s band) and aced the test the next morning. I just kept singing the song along in my head and remembered everything. I don't think that'll work for the MCAT though. :(
There is a lot of data that suggests that when you do something in conjuction with another, such a studying with music, these things become associated with each other for a short time. So when you were singing, it was mentally as if you were in your room studying.

I find these correlations fascinating!
 

dr.kicia

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
2,006
1
where the heart is***
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
geno2568 said:
tool is good study music, i must admit......though for really hardcore studying, its better to listen to stuff you can sing along to, so i pick stuff in other languages

Aria is a russian metal band thats really good (considered the Russian Iron Maiden)
Shakira's spanish stuff is good if yur in a happy mood
yeah i will sometimes listen to ricardo Villabobos ...it's like a happy version of trance/house music.
It keeps me awake. Oh and how could i forget the italian metal band Lacuna Coil...they rock seriously, especially that a lot of the lyrics are in italian(which i have no knowledge of and that's why it sounds so great!).
Well i just started preparing for the mcat that i will be taking in May/June next year. I was originally studying for the April 2006 one but then i decided to give my self one more year, finish pre-rqs(orgo not done) and this way i will be well prepared...i guess i will be adding more MCAT music here along the way.
Good luck to everyone who is preparing for the battle with the beast :luck:
 
About the Ads