May 29, 2009
CO
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm just curious: where do you all get your daily digest of the news? And what sections do you read?

I'm a CNN fan myself

ensuii

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
news.google.com as my homepageand the Wall Street Journal delivered to my house. Gallup.com is good too for those that have a perverse enjoyment of numbers.

DrYoda

Space Cowboy
10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2008
Dagobah System
Status
Attending Physician
I read yahoo finance and political news. I scroll down to see if any other headlines catch my attention, but I generally don't read much of the other sections.

Bloomberg is pretty good too.

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I'm just curious: where do you all get your daily digest of the news? And what sections do you read?

I'm a CNN fan myself
I read NY Times online. Good stuff, I peruse mostly everything.:thumbup:

Food

10+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2007
Unemployment office
Status
Resident [Any Field]
BBC headlines off of the firefox toolbars is my source. I never trusted any mainstream outlets (including the BBC) and do not understand how anyone could. CNN, MSNBC, etc are all a joke of course. I credit CBS for occasionally offering some investigative journalism without fear of repercussion from powerful interest groups.

Digg.com and Reddit.com are good for getting actual analyses on topics. Honestly I don't know what journalism majors learn these days - as the field is all but dead.

KnuxNole

Sweets Addict
10+ Year Member
May 3, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I read OMG! On yahoo for all the important news.

Oh you meant "intelligent" news...

dirac

5+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Reddit is awesome, but also CNN, BBC, and al jazeera.

rockaction

casemed'14
May 3, 2009
Status
Medical Student
BBC for life. American news outlets are embarrassing these days.

dr seuss

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2008
Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
news.google.com is my homepage. I also look at nytimes.com and the Economist. When I'm at school I read the Wall Street Journal or New York Times occasionally since they are free on campus.

Jun 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
BBC and CNN mostly.

If you're a liberal like me, Huffington Post is a great source of news - it does not claim to be neutral, unlike some other MSM outlets that claim to be "fair and balanced"

The only thing I like about MSNBC is Keith Olbermann.

Jul 8, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I usually use yahoo news or NY Times. But there is another good place out there called drudgereport.com. You all should check it out. Has a hella lot of news.

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I'm surprised that not more people read NY Times.

KnuxNole

Sweets Addict
10+ Year Member
May 3, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I'm surprised that not more people read NY Times.
Why? I honestly can't name anyone I know who reads the NY times...even friends I know from NY barely take a look at it.

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Why? I honestly can't name anyone I know who reads the NY times...even friends I know from NY barely take a look at it.
How come? It's a great read, especially the Opinion section.

linkin06

We are all witnesses.
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2008
Status
How come? It's a great read, especially the Opinion section.
that is if you like a liberal opinion on every possible issue. i try to see issues from both sides, but it's just absurd how every single editorial in NYT is uncompromisingly liberal. i prefer wall street journal. newspapers are dying anyways -- nytimes is teetering on bankruptcy and selling all its assets to make ends meet.

instapundit.com and powerlineblog.com all day for quality.

ensuii

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
that is if you like a liberal opinion on every possible issue. i try to see issues from both sides, but it's just absurd how every single editorial in NYT is uncompromisingly liberal. i prefer wall street journal. newspapers are dying anyways -- nytimes is teetering on bankruptcy and selling all its assets to make ends meet.

Someone watches too much of Fox News.

ensuii

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
WOAH THERE. msnbc is awesome. Don't tell me you didn't see that bit where a prisoner showed us how to make a weapon out of a roll of tiolet paper and a plastic cup.

Jun 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

Because, of course, the WSJ always give both sides of every issue. There is little doubt that the NYT has a liberal bias, but it is much more to the center than the WSJ could ever be.

pitt1166

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
While it isn't "reading" I obsessively listen to NPR.

Then when I heard something that interests me I'll search the story online.

linkin06

We are all witnesses.
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2008
Status
Because, of course, the WSJ always give both sides of every issue. There is little doubt that the NYT has a liberal bias, but it is much more to the center than the WSJ could ever be.
i disagree. i think both are on their wings. nothing is center, really.

guildsman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
For the shear amount of topics covered and for fairly good insight (and usually good writing), the NY Times is hard to beat. Their website is also fairly well designed, so you can browse through specific sections relatively easily.

For a more international perspective and for issues that are sometimes on the backpages of major papers, the Christian Science Monitor is great (http://www.csmonitor.com/). They're not a religious paper and they're also one of the few papers that the CIA uses to find out about interesting news.

For in depth articles on various issues and for excellent analysis (e.g. the now infamous - in a good way - Atul Gawande article) I recommend the New Yorker (http://www.newyorker.com/).

Finally, the Economist is one of the few news magazines that a lot of experts still consider as providing fairly decent analysis (http://www.economist.com/). I think you need a subscription for some content, but your school library almost certainly has a subscription. Or you can just buy it (its worth the price).

zayka

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I have a subscription to the Economist. They are lying untouched in a big pile somewhere... I just feel like reading fiction now, and kinda busy.

I like The Onion, but I don't think that counts...

yangxx2

10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2008
Library
Status
Pre-Medical
Last edited:

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2007
news.google.com

That way I read ALL of the sources and get can multiple angles to a story.

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Also, Washington Post also has some good stuff. Just too many damn ads on their site.

Wheee

i'm in!
May 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I watch NBC nightly news, read my city's daily newspaper (front section and science section on whatever day that is, plus if anything on the front page of the other sections I'll read those), US Weekly (hey, it's still news. plus a lot of pictures), and I do the crossword from the New York Times monday through Wednesday. Thursday/friday are too hard.

nick_carraway

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I watch NBC nightly news, read my city's daily newspaper (front section and science section on whatever day that is, plus if anything on the front page of the other sections I'll read those), US Weekly (hey, it's still news. plus a lot of pictures), and I do the crossword from the New York Times monday through Wednesday. Thursday/friday are too hard.
Ditto on NBC Nightly News & local papers (SJ/SF) daily, alma mater papers during the school term, CNN daily, NYT daily, Time magazine when I have time.

Blogs for miscellaneous stories & tech news.

Funky

This space is for sale
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2006
NY
Status
Pre-Medical
The top 10 most emailed articles in the Times are always interesting.CNN.com too. Oh and ESPN. And not to mention, TMZ :D

kac714

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2008
il
Status
Medical Student
nytimes (love the health section, there are often great articles), msnbc, chicagotribune for sports.

linkin06

We are all witnesses.
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2008
Status
nytimes (love the health section, there are often great articles), msnbc, chicagotribune for sports.
nytimes health is the only good thing in the rag. i will give it that. technology section isn't bad too.

Exalya

10+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Status
Pre-Medical
Mostly MSNBC. If something catches my eye I like to read official documents... studies, bills in congress and the like >.> I read politics and health for the most part.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
MLB.com

and occasionally WSJ and rarely CNN.

ilovebiology

5+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2009
T.V.=local news
Internet=msn.com
Newspaper=LA Times

:)

Jun 1, 2009
Status
Medical Student
huffingtonpost.com

nytimes app on my iphone

cnn.com and msnbc.com i like chris matthews

digg.com sometimes

conservative radio at times, like michael medved

acridknight

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
:woot: Wall Street Journal. all. the. way. period.

seems to me that it does the best of filtering out all of the pop culture crap that most news outlets feel compelled to laud 24/7 (anyone get tired of the MJ coverage last week? [not to degrade his accomplishments, but c'mon ... a few days of memorial coverage is enough... seesh])

Struggles

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2008
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
DrudgeReport.com

That and CNN at times.

Trexate

Competitive Inhibitor
Apr 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I have a subscription to the Economist. They are lying untouched in a big pile somewhere... I just feel like reading fiction now, and kinda busy.

I like The Onion, but I don't think that counts...
The Onion most certainly counts. And the Colbert Report.

Omni

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2007
Michigan
Status
Pre-Medical
The Daily Show is the only news I trust.