SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

what kind of organic chem questions will i see on the pcat?

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by lepamplemousse, May 28, 2008.

1. lepamplemousse

lepamplemousse 5+ Year Member

May 23, 2008
    So far I got nomenclature, functional groups, SN1, SN2, E1, E2 reactions down. What else do I have to know? How specific are the organic chem questions? I don't want to study more than I have to. Thanks!
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. stkyrice

stkyrice mmm....bacon. 2+ Year Member

There were some questions on acyl chlorides, carboxylic acid derivatives and lactones when I took it. I only got those right because I had finished O Chem II the Wednesday before the PCAT and it was all fresh in my head.
  4. Brandie28

Brandie28 2+ Year Member

Jun 4, 2007
    It's been a while since I have had O Chem...can you elaborate on the questions on acyl chlorides, carboxylic acid derivatives, and lactones? Thank you!
  5. stkyrice

stkyrice mmm....bacon. 2+ Year Member

Unfortunately, I can't because of the rules governing disclosure of PCAT questions. Just suffice it to say that you should know what happens when you use them as reagents, and how you make them and you should be able to identify them if you see them. They won't ask anything too difficult regarding them.
  6. RxWildcat

RxWildcat Julius Randle BEASTMODE! Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Mar 25, 2008
    I feel like it was mostly nomenclature when I took it, but thats been awhile.