What kind of post-bac do I need???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IDFMedic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated biochem in 08 from UMASS Amherst. I have a very low cGPA (2.45), and sGPA 2.75. Im currently workin on MCAT and aiming for a mid 30's score. I have lots of great ECs (research experience, lab work army medic, etc). looks like I have to do a post bac to undo the damage of undergrad, but im really at odds as to which program suits me best.

My GPA is terrible but Its also very inconsistent: I have a bunch of C's in no name courses (F in music theory, D in astronomy) but also A's in heavy science classes (A- physical chemsitry, A in calc 2). I also have a bunch of A's and B's in upper level sciences as well as C's D's in other science and non science classes. I didnt really try hard in ugrad except for the classes that interested me (hence higher sGPA).

An undergrad certificate program would be a short (1-1.5 years) program and a good way to show consistent ability in the uGRAD sciences. but how strongly would a high (all A's) one year post bac GPA be weighed next to my uGRAD GPA?

At the same time a SMP or a 2 year program of grad classes wouldn't really be compared to my uGRAD GPA directly, but would show ability in grad courses that are more correlatable to med classes.

One thing to keep in mind is i will not have my MCAT scores in time to apply for the fall, and since all SMPs require MCAT scores I would have to wait an entire year just to enter a 2 year SMP. Since I am looking for the fastest way to get into med school, would a one year post bac (or maybe longer) beginning this fall, cut it to get into med school (assuming excellent grades, and more ECs) and a mid 30's mcat?????

My goal is to get into one of the Israeli schools, its my dream to study medicine there (I currently live in Israel). I would settle for mid-low allopathic schools in the US, not really looking for Caribbean schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Graduated biochem in 08 from UMASS Amherst. I have a very low cGPA (2.45), and sGPA 2.75. Im currently workin on MCAT and aiming for a mid 30's score. I have lots of great ECs (research experience, lab work army medic, etc). looks like I have to do a post bac to undo the damage of undergrad, but im really at odds as to which program suits me best.

My GPA is terrible but Its also very inconsistent: I have a bunch of C's in no name courses (F in music theory, D in astronomy) but also A's in heavy science classes (A- physical chemsitry, A in calc 2). I also have a bunch of A's and B's in upper level sciences as well as C's D's in other science and non science classes. I didnt really try hard in ugrad except for the classes that interested me (hence higher sGPA).

An undergrad certificate program would be a short (1-1.5 years) program and a good way to show consistent ability in the uGRAD sciences. but how strongly would a high (all A's) one year post bac GPA be weighed next to my uGRAD GPA?

At the same time a SMP or a 2 year program of grad classes wouldn't really be compared to my uGRAD GPA directly, but would show ability in grad courses that are more correlatable to med classes.

One thing to keep in mind is i will not have my MCAT scores in time to apply for the fall, and since all SMPs require MCAT scores I would have to wait an entire year just to enter a 2 year SMP. Since I am looking for the fastest way to get into med school, would a one year post bac (or maybe longer) beginning this fall, cut it to get into med school (assuming excellent grades, and more ECs) and a mid 30's mcat?????

My goal is to get into one of the Israeli schools, its my dream to study medicine there (I currently live in Israel). I would settle for mid-low allopathic schools in the US, not really looking for Caribbean schools.

With your undergrad GPA, you wouldn't be "settling" for a mid-tier MD school. It's a long shot.

I believe there are some SMPs that accept GRE scores, which are offered often and don't require much prep. If you can't do that before the deadline, you'll have to go the post-bac route. There's a search function on the AAMC website to help you find post-bacc. You would need to do very well to get into a US MD or DO school. I don't know what the adnmissions standards are for Israeli schools. Unless you plan to practice outside of the US, I think NOT applying to DO schools would be shooting yourself in the foot.

Also, you mention ECs but I hope volunteering and clinical experience. These will be essential.

You won't find a lot of expertise in this subforum about acceptance standards for Israeli schools. If you look further down on the SDN Forum list, you'll find International Medicine Discussions that can help you better.

I'm thinking it's unlikely an SMP will take a chance on you unless you've recently demonstrated an ability to excel in upper-level science classes. I think you could do your own unofficial postbac while applying to SMPs, sending in a new transcript after each term. I'd suggest that a 1.5 year effort to raise your cGPA and BCPM GPA is likely to be needed. You have a very deep hole to bail yourself out of, and it won't be quick and easy in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your replies.

Do you know how med schools will view a post bac record? will they average the GPAs together? Will they replace certain grades with post bac grades (assuming different institutions), or will they look at them side by side? Should I look into grad courses or undergrad courses? I do have some good grades in upper/grad level science courses, its just that due to many random very low grades my GPA suffered drastically.

I have already looked through the AAMC website, but I am not sure what category I should be most interested in- undergrad non certificate, undergrad certificate, or masters degree.

I could also retake certain classes at my alma mater to replace low grades, however this is something I'd rather avoid.

Thank you for your replies.

Do you know how med schools will view a post bac record? will they average the GPAs together? Will they replace certain grades with post bac grades (assuming different institutions), or will they look at them side by side? Should I look into grad courses or undergrad courses? I do have some good grades in upper/grad level science courses, its just that due to many random very low grades my GPA suffered drastically.

On AMCAS, your post-bacc GPA will be listed on its own and will also be averaged into your undergrad GPA. Grades will not be replaced unless you are applying DO, in which case the most recent grade in a class is used for GPA calculations. Graduate courses will not make up for poor undergraduate performance unless it is an SMP.

Small clarification: So long as you are not a grad degree candidate (eg, not accepted to a masters degree program), graduate level classes will be included in your undergrad GPA calculation, so you can take undergrad or grad classes as postbac coursework right now to help improve your cGPA. Graduate courses taken as part of the required classes to earn a graduate degree are put in a different category and they do not help you get into med school, except as MiniMoo noted.

Cave: A lot of grad-level classes won't enroll you unless you are on a Master/PhD degree track.