What Kind of Professional School Did/Will You Apply To?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What Kind of Professional School Did/Will You Apply To?

• Medical School

Votes: 69 73.4%
  • Pharmacy School

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Dental School

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Optometry School

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Podiatry School

• NP or PA School

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Graduate School

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Psychology

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Veterinary School

• Multiple

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Other

• None

• Total voters

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is our (admittedly a bit late) next poll.

I applied for multiple degrees (medical school and grad school for a clinical research MS).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Medical for me as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Technically didn't you apply to multiple, with all your crazy degrees?
Duly noted. I wasn't counting my PhD since I had already applied to grad school long before I joined SDN, but I will change my vote to "multiple" since I actually got an MD/MS. Will also add podiatry to the poll; my apology in advance for leaving it out.

MD and MPH

Last edited:
Yeah, mine should probably be multiple too with the MPH factored in since I would have done a joint program if I had decided not to do the MPH by itself first. Still haven't ruled out PhD yet. (talking to an instructor I might work with. she flat out asks me if I've thought about MD/PhD and seemed to think it'd be a good choice for me. I said it wasn't off the table yet, but I was turning 30 in Oct so looking for other ways to incorporate research) I should really go get my sanity checked. :rolleyes:

dam it, cant change my answer..

Q, was the MS in clinical research really helpful? I want to be a clinical scientist but I am wondering if it might be better to learn as you go rather than taking the time to do a separate MS.

Q, was the MS in clinical research really helpful? I want to be a clinical scientist but I am wondering if it might be better to learn as you go rather than taking the time to do a separate MS.
In spite of what some basic scientists might lead you to believe about clinical science not being "rigorous," you cannot do quality clinical research without formal training. I don't think it matters if you do it during or after medical school, and I also don't think it matters if you get an actual degree. If you want to wait, you can do a research fellowship after residency, and possibly during residency at some programs.

In my case, it made sense to do it during medical school because it was free.

Poor vet school got forgotten :(
Fixed, so now you have to vote. ;)

vet school....maybe pharmacy, pa or np too. we will see.

I agree with this, though I haven't technically finished my masters yet. I've spent quite a bit of time doing basic science research and now I'm doing epidemiology for an MPH. The formal training is going to be very important. Just learning to look at things in a different way, formally evaluate study designs, etc. Yeah, sure you could learn this stuff on your own over time doing research. This way though, you learn it in a much more efficient manner, with a broader scope, and get a better tool set I think than just trying to learn as you go just for whatever project you happen to be working on. There will be a lot less trial and error. There are a lot of MDs in my MPH program at my school, and a lot of MDs in a clinical and translation science program at the hospital where I work, and a lot of them seem to think it's pretty valuable training to have.

In spite of what some basic scientists might lead you to believe about clinical science not being "rigorous," you cannot do quality clinical research without formal training. I don't think it matters if you do it during or after medical school, and I also don't think it matters if you get an actual degree. If you want to wait, you can do a research fellowship after residency, and possibly during residency at some programs.

I was about to start a NP program when I got accepted to pre-med post-bacc program, and now a couple years later I've just gotten my acceptance to DO school! Yay!

I will be graduating from UAB on 12/15/12 with a master's degree specializing as a family nurse practitioner. I have worked as a RN since 2004. The more I progress in my education, the more I realize how much my desire is to be a doctor. I have been taking the prerequisite classes for med school along with my nurse practitioner classes, residency, and and part time job as a nurse in one of the busiest ED's in the state of AL. I am taking my NP boards in Dec. and MCAT in April 2013. Will begin applying to MD and DO schools in June 2013. I pray daily that my dream and that all the non traditionals reach the finish line and one day walk across the stage to put on the white coat!!!