What kind of research for pre-dental?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dolimitless

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know research is not required for dental school, but it is always a plus. What kind of research do admissions committee like? Does it have to be dental related, or can in other feilds such as chemistry or bio related topics?

Members don't see this ad.

I know research is not required for dental school, but it is always a plus. What kind of research do admissions committee like? Does it have to be dental related, or can in other feilds such as chemistry or bio related topics?

Do whatever research you like. I don't think committees would give preference to research in particular field. I think they are looking for the qualities that any kind of research could give you. To answer your question, it is equally fine if you do chem, bio or dental research.

Members don't see this ad :)
anything will do

Ditto that. I'd add that it should be on a subject/discipline that you're interested in (and thus, committed to) b/c if you put it on your application, you better be able to speak intelligibly about it during the interview. Don't just do it so that you have one more thing to put on your app; trust me, people can tell right away by how you talk about it.

Having worked in the pharma industry for ~2.5 years now, I've interviewed multiple candidates straight out of undergrad that had really compelling research listed on their resume, but when you asked them to talk about it, it was really clear that they had just gone through the motions (i.e. done it to pad the resume) and that their PI had done a lot of "hand-holding". Don't be one of those people... adcoms will see right through it.

Last edited:
I was talking to the UCSF rep when he came to my school to give a presentation and he had said hat it doesn't particularly matter what type of research you do, as long as it is done in a scientific manner. One girl asked if her Literature research would count, and he said no, which makes sense. He was also asked about social science research, and gave an answer something along the lines of, it would depend how the studies were done.

dolimitless, you may do a research in an absolutely any field you like as long as it makes your profile stand out from the rest of the crew. But, it must be a valid research and not some 2 hours of googling the net :p . Finally, if you have it published then you will definitely get noticed as long as you have a well rounded resume.

Best of luck