what kind of research is desired for optho applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turkdlit

Superstar DJ
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm in the midst of doing a one year research fellowship at my school in between my 2nd and 3rd years. I've always been interested in optho, and was wondering what kind of research optho programs are looking for.

Is it strictly eye related research that bolsters your application, or any kind of research? My work this year will be spent on the epidemiology of HIV positive individuals amonsgt hispanic men. How beneficial would this experience be to the optho applicant? BTW, there will be at least a couple of papers out of the experience with my name on it, with the possibility of a first author paper. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

turkdlit said:
Hi all, I'm in the midst of doing a one year research fellowship at my school in between my 2nd and 3rd years. I've always been interested in optho, and was wondering what kind of research optho programs are looking for.

Is it strictly eye related research that bolsters your application, or any kind of research? My work this year will be spent on the epidemiology of HIV positive individuals amonsgt hispanic men. How beneficial would this experience be to the optho applicant? BTW, there will be at least a couple of papers out of the experience with my name on it, with the possibility of a first author paper. Thanks!

Usually it is preferred if it is research either in orthopedic surgery or psychiatry. Probably after that is rehab medicine. HIV positive hispanics research is probably lower on the list I would think.

I'm waiting for him to get slaughtered over the misspelling of ophtho. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
signomi said:
I'm waiting for him to get slaughtered over the misspelling of ophtho. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the useful reply. What was I thinking posting here amongst OPHTHAL elistists like yourself :p PM me if you need help removing the stick out of your ass

doing research is good, but ophtho related research shows a bit more dedication to the field. i would do your best to try and get involved in some ophtho-related research at some point as well, even if you are not first author on it.

I'm not an ophtho, so I could have offered nothing useful to you anyway. Take it down six notches buddy, we aren't all here to screw with you.

Do pubs in non-ophtho specialties get you any points at all? For example, is having 1-3 completed pubs in a non-ophtho field better than/equal/worse than having 1-2 submitted ophtho abstracts?

JimBeezie said:
Do pubs in non-ophtho specialties get you any points at all? For example, is having 1-3 completed pubs in a non-ophtho field better than/equal/worse than having 1-2 submitted ophtho abstracts?

Well no one can answer these specific questions. In general, any research is good research esp. if one gets published. It is favorable to have research in the field one is applying to; this shows the PD that one is dedicated to that field. However, research in another field does not hurt you. It still shows you did something extra and shows initiative.

As for your question - I think it matters a lot in what journal those non-ophtho pubs are in. If you had something in a highly regarded journal of that field i.e. NEJM for medicine, Cancer for rad-onc, Radiology for rads - AND you were first author, then I think it may just be better than having an ophtho abstract. Again this is all my humble opinion.

Hope this helps...