What kind of resources does your school have for premeds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AZRobbins

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a small liberal arts college, and I've found the resources for premeds to be rather inadequate.

I'm curious what resources other schools offer. Is there adequate premed advising? Are there any MCAT-related resources? Is there help for students looking to shadow/do volunteer work? Are there any sources of social/psychological support?

How does your school help premeds succeed?
And what do you wish your school offered that might help you?

Members don't see this ad.

I go to a small liberal arts college, and I've found the resources for premeds to be rather inadequate.

I'm curious what resources other schools offer. Is there adequate premed advising? Are there any MCAT-related resources? Is there help for students looking to shadow/do volunteer work? Are there any sources of social/psychological support?

How does your school help premeds succeed?
And what do you wish your school offered that might help you?

I go to a large public research university. We have great premed advisors that care about us, answer our emails quickly and are willing to work with us long-term, though I haven't worked with them all that much since I'm only a sophomore. We have a site on CTools that regularly updates us what pre-health opportunities are available, such as scribing positions, phlebotomy training, MCAT seminar, etc. Our University Hospital welcomes volunteers and shadowing opportunities are easy to come around since it's a teaching hospital. Research is pretty easy to find here as well, from paid lab tech jobs that can be found on student employment website to undergraduate research programs, or just hitting up a PI for independent research. In terms of mental health, we got a great counseling service that was extremely helpful to me during the last winter semester (when it can get very cold and sad here).

But here's the catch: it's easy to find opportunities, but it's difficult to actually get them. Since it is such a large school, for every opportunity you seek there's 33442 people who also want that opportunity. While that might be frustrating, I have enjoyed being a pre-med so far because of the very supportive community of passionate people and the endless possibilities. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Competent premed advisors, active and well informed premed club, ample research opportunities

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I've seen, no mcat resources, but we have advisors and workshops for interviewing, etc. The prehealth advising group sends out weekly emails but can be bad at responding on time. University hospital has volunteering programs. There are lots of helpful clubs for premeds and it's easy to get involved in research

Good volunteering and shadow opportunities, good research opportunities, med school heavily favors alma mater.

My school has literally none of these things. Not even a pre-health club. It's a real shame, but I can't imagine what my school could have done for me that SDN hasn't. I'm thankful to have found a place to learn everything I needed to know.

Nothing.
Pre-med club is a joke, was a member for my first 2 years and all they did was meet up during U-hour for pizza, walk around wearing club t-shirts and occasionally partake in a social with another club.
Pre-med advisor is never in his office, does not respond to emails, and does not show up to appointments.

Was able to find clinical volunteering near school just by looking on the internet, found research by being friends with a professor who introduced me to my PI, found shadowing by being friends with another professor, and had any question regarding the pre-med process answered through SDN.
Thank you SDN.