What kind of salary can one expect with a MD/MBA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are several things you can do with them, and I'm interested in health care administration somewhat (like COO or CEO), but I honestly have no idea what the kind of income these persons receive.....I've tried looking around but none of the sites I've seen have listed anything in way of salary expectations.....If anyone can help me out with this, it would be very greatly appreciated

Also if you could provide income stats for other career paths that MD/MBA grads often pursue it would be appreciated....Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Praetorian said:
I know there are several things you can do with them, and I'm interested in health care administration somewhat (like COO or CEO), but I honestly have no idea what the kind of income these persons receive.....I've tried looking around but none of the sites I've seen have listed anything in way of salary expectations.....If anyone can help me out with this, it would be very greatly appreciated

Also if you could provide income stats for other career paths that MD/MBA grads often pursue it would be appreciated....Thanks

Here's what I saw from a quick google search on health care admin. Not sure how accurate or representative it is: http://www.ache.org/NEWCLUB/CAREER/SALARY.CFM?link=salary.cfm

As for other career paths, there will not be much in the way of stats because frankly a fairly small minority have pursued that dual degree combo prior to recent years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm....that's not nearly as lucrative as I was hoping......

:eek: Those numbers can't be accurate. Don't ask me why, because I don't know, :laugh: but they just can't be right.

I know the CEO of the local hospital made in excess of $500K a year (his wife is a family friend), but then again he had been in that job for 20+ years before retiring, so I hope those numbers are skewed for some reason.

Praetorian said:
I know the CEO of the local hospital made in excess of $500K a year (his wife is a family friend), but then again he had been in that job for 20+ years before retiring, so I hope those numbers are skewed for some reason.

That someone earned $500k wouldn't be inconsistant with the median figure on the table. Half the folks out there will earn more, and half less. Hopefully those with dual degrees are at the higher end of the spectrum. But who knows.

TheMightyAngus said:
the CEO of Aetna makes $22.2 million a year. But only a small proportion of physician executives work for for-profit hospitals.

Also, in all fairness, Aetna, for example, is only partially a healthcare related entity. They generate a ton of their income through life and disability insurance, employee benefits, and various financial/commercial paper transactions. Not sure I'd even put it in the same profession as healthcare administration, or call their CEO a healthcare professional thus.

Very helpful salary link, though. Thx.

All non-profit classified companies (health care systems and hospitals included) must file a public record IRS 990 form annually in which the salaries and benefits of the directors and officers are stated. Check out www.Guidestar.com for a searchable list.
This should give you pretty good data on what hospital CEO, COO and system CEO, COOs are earning.

Law2Doc said:
Also, in all fairness, Aetna, for example, is only partially a healthcare related entity. They generate a ton of their income through life and disability insurance, employee benefits, and various financial/commercial paper transactions. Not sure I'd even put it in the same profession as healthcare administration, or call their CEO a healthcare professional thus.

Very helpful salary link, though. Thx.

True. But Aetna CEO John Rowe is indeed an MD, so his example is relevant to this forum.

Damn, I want to be the head of an insurance company after I get out of medical school then. :smuggrin: