ivanabe

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2009
Status
I got a 85 on Part I and my gpa after the first 2 yrs is 3.3. hopefully it'll go upto 3.4 by the time I graduate but who knows.

I was wondering what kind of residency will I be able to get with that score? thanks

ODEP PEDO

AAPD Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2008
Status
Post Doc
I got a 85 on Part I and my gpa after the first 2 yrs is 3.3. hopefully it'll go upto 3.4 by the time I graduate but who knows.

I was wondering what kind of residency will I be able to get with that score? thanks
The main question that you should ask yourself is what would you rather do (and enjoy doing it) for the next 30 years, not what can I get in based on such and such grades. I bet we have folks out there that were top notch candidates and have chosen Pathology or Perio or OMFS or Pedo, etc. I bet double that all the happy ones (and by default successful) chose what they truly wanted to be from the get go.

ODEP PEDO

AAPD Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2008
Status
Post Doc
I beg to differ, he never mentioned do I have a chance for ortho, or pedo or etc,
he is asking what can I get in with my grades. Option anyone would have, but to make the cut for consideration and get an invite for interviews that is another ball game

akg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2006
Status
Dental Student

very funny question:laugh:

this kinda reminds me of a guy asking "what kind of girl can i get with my stats 5.10" / 8000 $ /month income , bla bla blah?

anyway, no one knows if you can get a residency at all or may be ortho /OMS
as no one knows what your LOR's and CV is gonna talk about?

good luck:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Jone

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2003
florida
Visit site
Status
your GPA is meaningless without a class rank. what is it?

kiji talons

10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2009
Status
Dentist
i posted a similar thread a few weeks ago. i graduated 2 years ago with similar numbers to yours. i am interested in ortho, but it seems like unless i want to retake part 1 and can score atleast a 95 i really have no shot. i am not going to retake part 1 of the boards. i have already forgotten too much of that garbage.

OP
I

ivanabe

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2009
Status
I really like pedo and perio but I know both are very competitive...so that's why I was asking. thanks

Locutus of Borg

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Really? Is perio that easy to get in? Why?

Huggies

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2007
CA
Status
Dentist
Somebody once said and it made sense to me. Those who like to do surgery, go into OS, it's one extra year and you learn a lot of perio surgery + more, and get much better renumeration. Hence, more surgery lovers apply to OS and not perio.

Last edited:

fido!

the ex-***!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 12, 2004
well,i'm just coool,lite&eazzzy!'m everywhere but.
Status
Resident [Any Field]
:thumbup:WELL SAID!!
A wise man once said:

"If you want to learn to cure periodontal disease, go into OMFS. I you want to learn to manage it, go into Perio."