ishaninatte

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
Status
I just filled out the scholarship application to my medical school, and I was wondering what type of students usually end up with a scholarship. I have above average numbers, but no financial need or anything like that. Do white, 21 year old males, not particularly charming or handsome, with average numbers and intelligence, have a chance at getting any sort of scholarship to medical school?

I realize this probably depends on the school, each individual application, and how the scholarship committee is feeling that day.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ishaninatte said:
I just filled out the scholarship application to my medical school, and I was wondering what type of students usually end up with a scholarship. I have above average numbers, but no financial need or anything like that. Do white, 21 year old males, not particularly charming or handsome, with average numbers and intelligence, have a chance at getting any sort of scholarship to medical school?

I realize this probably depends on the school, each individual application, and how the scholarship committee is feeling that day.

minority students.

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Not you, and not me. :p

B

Blade28

There's always need-based scholarships, if you can't get a merit-based one.

Of course, I'm assuming the OP needs the money to help fund his educational costs.

R

Revolution #9

Average students? No, no way are they getting scholarships. Probably some grants, but no scholarships.

kaikai128

Yes SIR. ;-)
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2004
Beach or Pool, you pick...
Visit site
Status
Many who apply for HPSP get "scholarship" money. NHSC is also similar to HPSP in several ways. Many of these students are not necessarily the smartest or a minority; jsut willing to serve their country.

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
scholarships are like myths...you always hear about them, but never really know who has one...just kiddin, but i dont know anyone who has one guess my friends arent that smart :confused:

tigress

queen of the jungle
10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My undergrad gives scholarships to women who go to the associated med school. It's not even based on numbers; I'm pretty sure all women who go there from my school get almost full tuition payed. That's why a bunch of my friends are there (and of course it's an excellent med school). There are lots of random scholarship things around, you just have to look for them. For the most part, of course, we're all going to be $200,000 in debt by the end

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
tigress said:
My undergrad gives scholarships to women who go to the associated med school. It's not even based on numbers; I'm pretty sure all women who go there from my school get almost full tuition payed. That's why a bunch of my friends are there (and of course it's an excellent med school). There are lots of random scholarship things around, you just have to look for them. For the most part, of course, we're all going to be $200,000 in debt by the end
Do you know if the bylaws stipulate that applicants must be biologically female from birth?

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
GuyLaroche said:
Do you know if the bylaws stipulate that applicants must be biologically female from birth?
:laugh: :laugh: What about if you're both?