What kind of Vet do you want to be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What kind of vet do you want to be?

• Small Animal

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • Mixed Animal

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Equine Only

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Food Animal

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
I wish money was all I cared about. There are so many ways to make so much more more with so much less hassle than becoming a vet.

Members don't see this ad.

amen. if you think about it, i'm from vegas, i could easily be a stripper right? :laugh:

amen. if you think about it, i'm from vegas, i could easily be a stripper right? :laugh:

There you go with the sex, drugs and rock n' roll again. You have a one track mind, don't you? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Equine all the way. I would like to do neonatal, and reproduction especially the thoroughbred industry:)

If you are going into this for the money you're doing something terribly wrong. Go to med school instead.

I'm going to take it a step further and say... if anyone is going into this for money, don't go into medicine at all (human or non-human animals). Either way, when you factor in 8 years of college/medschool + possible 3-5 years of residency (getting paid 20-50K/year) + 100-250 K in loans + 50-80 hour work weeks, even becoming a physician isn't lucrative enough to justify going into it for the money (especially if you are in primary care). Doctors (of all kinds) who go into it for the money quickly find themselves burnt out and bitter.

If you want to make money... get an MBA.

that being said... for the most part, I agree with Fargeese. One of the things I love about this forum is that everyone is generally pretty supportive of eachother (unfortunately, the same can't always be said for the pre-MD forum...:( )

Wow, I sincerely hope they have a way to screen out people like that -- just in it for the money. Go major in business or whatever.

With all the people applying to vet schools who genuinely love animals, love what they do, and love practicing medicine, seeing that written by an applicant (prospective applicant?) just makes sad.

Sure, everyone wants a comfortable lifestyle, nothing wrong with that. But if you're going into vet med just for the money, that's just not right. It'll make you miserable doing something you don't enjoy. And let's face it, it's a lot work even if you do enjoy it.

Most people applying to med school would disagree with the statement that if you are going into the profession for the money you should go to med school.

On another note - I'm always surprised by people's reactions to the mentioning of money. It doesn't make you a bad vet if you are considering your salary when you are done with school, rather it just shows that you are thinking responsibly about your future. The poster said that after going through school and being in debt a lot of people don't decide to pursue zoo vet med, behavior etc. and I think that this is probably true. If everyone that said they were going to do something besides SA than there wouldn't be any SA vets. In general, I really don't understand why people attack those that discuss money as it will probably be a factor at some point for everyone.

I hate the factory farming system as vets have to pump the cattle full of antibiotics on feed lots just to keep them from not dying from being highly crowded and eating a diet that's completely evolutionarily inappropriate to them (they were designed to eat grass, not grain like corn).

But, as large-scale food animal vets, could we (just collective we) not people help get the industry AWAY from those sorts of practices, through alternative methods, research, and advice? I totally agree with your opinion on factory farming in general though....I have a lot of interest in putting solid research behind holistic medicine and applying to to large scale populations like farming myself...so its a near-and-dear topic to me :)

I don't really care to see who wants to do exotics, avian, aquatic, or zoo vet medicine. They make up such a small percentage of practicing vets anyways.

........ wow......
that's a really rude thing to say, no offense, considering thats all im interested in...

i REALLY wanna be a mixed animal vet, a.k.a a country vet! i espelly wanna work with cattle, horses, dogs and cats! i have job shadowed our vet for 2 years now and it seems awesome!:love: