What kind of work is available to an M.D. in the criminal justice system?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gorne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title kind of explains it all.

Would a forensic pathologist work alongside investigators on crime scenes?

Members don't see this ad.

You could be a coroner, sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psychiatry, can determine if people are competent to stand trial

Reactions: 1 user
Every Prison in the country has a medical doc on staff.

Sure, most medical examiners didn't do med though. For a medical examiner there are many better routes than the MD route.

What is it you want to do in the criminal justice system? If it's prison work, do you IM. If you want to be an expert witness or something, look into path and psych.

Sure, most medical examiners didn't do med though. For a medical examiner there are many better routes than the MD route.

Pretty sure you have to be a physician and do a pathology residency before you can be a medical examiner. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
People are suggesting prison work. I can't imagine doing that for any length of time. The main reason I would never be a cop is because their job is to deal with scumbags. Every day. It's what they do. But it's a good way to make decent money without a college education. I wouldn't want to deal with that patient population on a regular basis as a doctor.

I think forensic pathology is more what you're looking at anyway. I would look into that if I were you.