what kind of work with nite classes???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jintonic5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i'm thinking about what i could do during my year off after graduation... I have to seriously consider working while finishing up some post bacc classes, but what kind of work have people done?
EMT?
nurses aide?
research?

How is the pay for these, hours, and what kind of training is needed? where would i get it? any info you can provide would be great!!!!
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You don't say where you live or what your UG degree is in, but if you have any science background you could look for a job helping with medical research (recruiting subjects, procuring samples, etc.). Although the pay usually isn't great (for pay scales look at research assistants on almost any public university's employment websites), there are several benefits: (1) significant medical-related experience, (2) a chance to learn about different research areas and sharpen your focus, and (3) the possibility of recommendation letters from the physicians you work with.

Oops! Should have put more info concerning my background:
Undergrad at Ivy League institution, Biology and Society Major(combination of biology and science related sociology). I've worked at a biotech company and was in charge of their inhouse DNA supply production, working for a professor at my school for the summer.
Anyone else have any suggestions?

I had worked in research for many years during undergrad, so all I wanted to do during my one semester off was to do something where I got to interact with people. I think the EMT route is great, or anything where you can get more hand-on clinical experience. I got a great job as a TA for human anatomy, where I got to work with cadavers and got great prep for gross anatomy. I also had a Bio and Society degree (I haven't heard of any other programs except for the one at my school (Arizona State). Anyway, all I needed was a degree in the biological sciences (or significant experience with the subject material) to qualify to TA as a non-graduate degree student as my university. On the side, I work with URM elementary, high school, and college students to help them attain their goal of going into health careers (including medicine), where I get to share my story with young people. I have friends who do tissue recovery for organ transplantation (another great way to bone up on anatomy without having to take a course--I hear that it is all on the job training). Just do whatever floats your boat. Have fun, and if you can make money at the same time, all the better. Good luck with everything.