What kinds of problems will Physicians be facing in the future?

• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

instigata

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I got owned (I think) on this question at my last interview. I mentioned the cultural battle behind abortion, Embryonic stem cell research, and probably other crap I pulled out of my a$$. How would you guys go about answering this? I really need some ideas! Thanks!

About the Ads

sirus_virus

nonsense poster
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Declining reimbursements, rising malpractice insurance premiums, lawsuits, midlevel encroachment, and long work hours.

*Edit*
also government control.

Stolenspatulas

10+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Everyone, I mean EVERYONE will want some sort of plastic surgery.

In our media-driven world those of us that now claim to be the least superficial will be first in line for boobies, solid butts, bigger lips, bigger male genitalia.

Trust me, I'm not a doctor....yet.

smq123

John William Waterhouse
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
An excessive preoccupation with shoes and chocolate within the profession, as an ever-greater proportion of doctors are women.

Very witty. I understand, though - you're upset because of the ever-increasing probability that a woman will be doing your next DRE.

Waiting4Drexel

10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
i got this question and talked about the rise of medical costs and the declining access to health care. i read the book "health care meltdown" by Bob Lebow and it really helped me talk about health care in my interviews.

radiologydoctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2007
Status (Visible)
Academic medicine is in crises not just in the United States, but ini all countries around the world. The gap between the best, evidence-based practice and what actually happens is substantial. It is becoming impossible for a person to be competent simultaneously in practice, research, and teaching. The use of citation indices in research assessment is inappropriate and may be obstructive. Research is often not concerned with the biggest health problems. Problems with career progression are particularly salient for women. Medical education does not prepare graduates for careers in modern medicine. Academic medicine relates poorly to its stakeholders: patients, policymakers, practitioners, the public, and the media. Leadershipis is often inadequate

MonkeyNuts!

Even Kal has bad days...
10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2005
Best way to answer this question is to get some clues about the interviewer.

If they are an OB/GYN or a Internal Med, or any other primary care, talk about universal healthcare, the uninsured, etc.

If they are a PhD, you could do stem cells, talk about defensive medicine vs scientific based medicine, etc.

If they are like a surgeon or something, talk about rising malpractice or insurance premiums for docs.

That's if you want to be sneaky. In most cases, you could talk about anything, and if you have an informed opinion, you will be fine.

MonkeyNuts!

Even Kal has bad days...
10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2005
i got this question and talked about the rise of medical costs and the declining access to health care. i read the book "health care meltdown" by Bob Lebow and it really helped me talk about health care in my interviews.

Excellent book.

I read that and also Understanding Health POlicy by Grumbach and Bodenheimer for my itnerviews.

access and financing - branch off from there.

instigata

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thanks for the responses everyone. In terms of high uninsured rates in the U.S (~47 million), would this be a problem physicians will be facing? I was thinking more along the lines of a problem/dilemma physicians will be facing in the clinic or research.

MonkeyNuts!

Even Kal has bad days...
10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2005
Thanks for the responses everyone. In terms of high uninsured rates in the U.S (~47 million), would this be a problem physicians will be facing? I was thinking more along the lines of a problem/dilemma physicians will be facing in the clinic or research.

Well it is a problem you will see in ER rotations or if you become an ER doctor, because all those uninsured people will flock to ERs.

It might also affect doctors depending on what type of restructuring reform we are looking at. Right now we are in like a diamond structure, with less primary care and tertiary care physicians, with a crapload of secondary care physicians. Generally proponents of universal healthcare think that alleviating the financing problem will also need access reform too because you're looking at 47 million Americans who suddenly have insurance.

So if the shape of physician specialty distribution becomes more like a pyramid, with the largest amount of docs being primary care, might become a problem because first off primary care docs aren't reimbursed very well and also there's not as much interest as say the ROAD to success. But I'd imagine if something like this happened, reimbursement reform would be part of the package. Anyway, that's only one example of how reform of uninsured would impact physicians as well as patients...

gotmeds?

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Excellent book.

I read that and also Understanding Health POlicy by Grumbach and Bodenheimer for my itnerviews.

access and financing - branch off from there.

I read Healthcare Meltdown when you recommended it in another thread. Great book! It definitely helped to have that knowledge going into some of my interviews. Thanks for the advice.

wolfram241

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2005
Status (Visible)
Probably the number of uninsured people. Legitimate predictions put this number at 50 million by 2008, 60 million by 2012, and 75 million by the 2016 election. When will these sweet neocons learn...

sirus_virus

nonsense poster
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Probably the number of uninsured people. Legitimate predictions put this number at 50 million by 2008, 60 million by 2012, and 75 million by the 2016 election. When will these sweet neocons learn...

Basically growing at the same rate as illegal immigration.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.