1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

What Krack should I buy?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by jaymarc, Jun 14, 2002.

1. jaymarc

jaymarc Member
    7+ Year Member

Whats up. Im new to this forum and I must say I think it will be a good resource in the coming months..I'm taking it first time Aug 17th.. I have just started my PR classes this week and its going pretty well I guess. Im not sure if I am going to get out what I need from them. But I plan on buying supplemental materials and from What I have heard ExamKrackers is a prime option. So which ones should I buy? I have the funding for 2 of the three choices. The study package books, audio osmosis, and 1001 questions set........ any opinions.

Also, there are about 9 weeks till D-day here so I was wondering what type of schedule yall are acquiring. I work 40 hours a week but I can can study maybe 2 hours each day during work. Besides that I have 2 hours of class a day as well.

any input is greatly appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. missbonnie

missbonnie floating
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey Jaymarc-

I took the ek course and used almost all of their materials. Chemistry boy - they don't really have passages, it's their books that are great. Their 1001 series are also really great for drilling in those concerpts (they are NOT mcat passage based questions and are not meant to be).

EK is great because of their subject books and because they really go by AAMC stuff. In the course, all of our full lengths were aamc tests. I was definately prepared and really felt comfortable with the test itself not just the material because I was familiar with what kinds of questions aamc would ask, and the general trends.

I highly recommend the examkrackers books, I liked physics the best.

-bonnie

4. jaymarc

jaymarc Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks, I just ordered so damn good krack from barnes and noble.com .. I decided to go with the audio osmosis and the EK books. I might pick up the 1001, but I have plenty of practice passages in my PR books. Also I just got our first practice scores back and I got a 22 on the first diag...so i guess I have some work to do. Thanks again

5. c_redleg

c_redleg Member
    7+ Year Member

hey bonnie,
    how are the EK practice tests sold on their website?

6. SuzyQ

SuzyQ Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Chemistry Boy:
    [QB] Based on what I recall of PR books and tests, you are going to need more passages, especially ones similar to the MCAT. QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi, you said that the PR passages arent representative of the real MCAT, what exactly do you mean by this? Are you saying that PR is harder then theh MCAT or easier? Im asking because I'm taking the PR course right now and Im finding them to be rather challenging so if the MCAT is harder then PR material Im going to be in big trouble!!

7. Mudd

Mudd Charlatan & Trouble Maker
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by SuzyQ:
    Hi, you said that the PR passages aren't representative of the real MCAT, what exactly do you mean by this? Are you saying that PR is harder then the MCAT or easier? I'm asking because I'm taking the PR course right now and I'm finding them to be rather challenging so if the MCAT is harder then PR material I'm going to be in big trouble!!</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mind you, I taught physical sciences and orgo, so I can't say much about the verbal reasoning. From what I saw for students in the class, people generally did better on both the aamc exams (2, 3, and 4 were out at the time) and on the actual MCAT than on the PR exams. The physical sciences exams at PR were definitely harder that the actual MCAT. By and large, the topics were fair, but the questions were either harder than they needed to be or they had a bit too much math. The theory is that if you are over-prepared, you'll think the actual exam is easy. That proved to be true for about half of the class. The other half either lost their confidence or focus. Just don't let the scores affect you, as much as that is possible.

Also, I tell everyone I tutor this: get materials from multiple sources, so that you are not used to the writing biases of your particular prep course. I strongly recommend Berkeley Review exams, although many of those will also prove to be harder than the actual exam. I also highly recommend AAMC exams 3, 4, 5, and 6.

8. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jaymarc:
    <strong>Thanks, I just ordered so damn good krack from barnes and noble.com .. I decided to go with the audio osmosis and the EK books. I might pick up the 1001, but I have plenty of practice passages in my PR books. Also I just got our first practice scores back and I got a 22 on the first diag...so i guess I have some work to do. Thanks again</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You've got some work to do, but a 22 on the first TPR diag is excellent. Dont get too cocky, but TPR works on a logarithm learning curve, i started at a 19 O and got a 34 on my last diag, 35 R on the real deal. I PM'd you too.

TPR science passages are MUCH harder than real MCAT, so keep that in mine. Those TPR created MCATs A-D are IMPOSSIBLE, save those to a little later on.

9. abs39

abs39 Member
    7+ Year Member

Did anyone try the practice tests they sell on their website? I would really like to know if they are any good.

10. nero

nero Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

What do you all think of PR's Science Workbook. Is that representative of the MCAT or just a good refresher of concepts?

Nirav

11. missbonnie

missbonnie floating
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by abs39:
    <strong>Did anyone try the practice tests they sell on their website? I would really like to know if they are any good.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've done both. They are "harder" than aamc exams BUT they are scaled accordingly. The scale is fairly accurate from what I've seen and heard from other students. Good practice tests/passages.

-bonnie