What laptop do you use for dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MolarBear11

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school requires at least:
Intel 2.4GHz Dual-core or higher
8GB memory
250GB hard drive
6 cell battery

And for me, preferably one with an optical drive and ethernet port under 5 lbs.

I've been looking at macbooks but they are so expensive. I've always gotten by just fine with cheap af laptops (the one I've used for the past 4 years was $250 :p)
What do you use? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools require certain computers, so first check out that requirement.

I am going with my Surface Pro 3 and PC desktop.

Some schools require certain computers, so first check out that requirement.

image_zpswsuqimrj.jpeg

In my day........

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
image_zpswsuqimrj.jpeg

In my day........

I feel that this is most likely still the best method for me. Perhaps I retain more taking notes by hand. I'm considering purchasing a SP3 or 4 to preserve the possibility of handwriting notes.

I feel that this is most likely still the best method for me. Perhaps I retain more taking notes by hand. I'm considering purchasing a SP3 or 4 to preserve the possibility of handwriting notes.

I have a SP4 right now and I love it. I don't know if you will be able to write fast enough to take notes during class though. There is just a little bit of lag and writing neatly takes a little bit getting used to

Reactions: 1 user
I have a SP4 right now and I love it. I don't know if you will be able to write fast enough to take notes during class though. There is just a little bit of lag and writing neatly takes a little bit getting used to

Do you primarily type notes on your SP then? I'm trying to determine how easily I can use OneNote's full functionality (complete with highlighting, etc.). I consider myself a slow typist and while trying out the SP and its pen and Best Buy, I loved being able to write in a traditional manner and being able to highlight with the pen as well. I've been typing notes in OneNote for a test I've been studying for during the last few months, and organizing notes with respect to bullet levels, highlighting, etc. seems more disjointed and clunky compared to when I used the Surface Pen; with the Surface Pen, these tasks felt more fluid and intuitive. Perhaps the problem is on my end as the user however. Any suggestions on how I can improve this experience?

Do you primarily type notes on your SP then? I'm trying to determine how easily I can use OneNote's full functionality (complete with highlighting, etc.). I consider myself a slow typist and while trying out the SP and its pen and Best Buy, I loved being able to write in a traditional manner and being able to highlight with the pen as well. I've been typing notes in OneNote for a test I've been studying for during the last few months, and organizing notes with respect to bullet levels, highlighting, etc. seems more disjointed and clunky compared to when I used the Surface Pen; with the Surface Pen, these tasks felt more fluid and intuitive. Perhaps the problem is on my end as the user however. Any suggestions on how I can improve this experience?

I type the notes so that I can get as much information down from lecture and then rewrite the notes and the important parts of the lecture using the stylus in OneNote. I will take the stylus out from time to time during lecture when I have to take notes on images like during histology. The new surface pen for the SP4 apparently got an upgrade from the SP3. It is very sensitive and great for even very detailed tasks. The pen definitely makes everything so much easier than by doing everything by hand or keyboard. There are even shortcuts on the actual pen to make your experience even more fluid. So I would say it is the pen being really easy to use rather than you being bad at using OneNote. Does that answer your question?

My friends and I had Surface Pros and iPads at the start of school and we tried to diligently take notes. Now none of us take notes, we just sit wide eyed and try to absorb as much as possible while trying to keep up. I actually see very few people taking notes anymore, things just move too fast.

Reactions: 1 users
School provided us with HP Elitebooks. I don't know the specs but I once ran Skyrim on it.