What laptop to buy???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm excited about my 13.3" Macbook that's being shipped!

After using a Dell Inspiron 5150 for the past 22 months (I was a die-hard Dell fan before this laptop, btw), I've decided to make the switch to Apple.

Why?

I realized that many Windows-based computers were too unreliable, flimsy, and short-lived than they should be for $1500. I spent that much on my 5150 only to experience multiple problems:

BSOD (seven times just yesterday!), kernal flare-ups, loss of sound! (my sound card died randomly), it will only recognize the power cord intermittently and when it doesn't the battery drains, the fan whirs incessantly and the CPU burns my legs.

A year into my Dell I didn't trust my first year med school files on the HD so I got a wireless network hard drive where I dumped anything important in case of a failure. I don't think you should have such little faith in such an expensive machine.

I researched the heck out of operating systems & laptops, and came to the conclusion that OS X Tiger (Apple) is the way to go!

Here's a review from CNET (an unbiased source, as far as I can tell):
http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_MacBook_13_inch_2_0GHz_Intel_Core_Duo/4505-3121_7-31884384.html

***Log into the Education Store ( http://www.apple.com/education/ ) to get a discount through your school! It brought my base model from $1299 to $1199. I ended up with a 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB SDRAM, 120GB Serial ATA drive for $1514.

***SUPER BONUS that I wasn't aware of until I checked out - through Sept. 16th when you buy a Macbook you get a free 2GB iPod Nano (or a $179 discount off more expensive iPods). Sweet! I already have an iPod but I'm giving this one to my husband as a gift.

In the end, I got $150 off the price of my Macbook + a free $179 Nano.

I'll let you all know my review of the mac after it comes in...

hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad.

amy2003uva said:
I'm excited about my 13.3" Macbook that's being shipped!

Good for you! You won't be dissappointed. You can install XP (and Vista as well) and if you wish, but even if you do you'll find that you rarely use them.

After having XP installed on my MacBook for a month or so, I deleted it because all it was doing was taking up space.

dreaming2k5 said:
So you aren't the type that really need to paying attention to lecture, nor taking notes to get a good grade. I see - sure, Macbook is right for you.

Huh? That last statement makes no sense. The MacBook is good for everybody--trust me.

Members don't see this ad :)
ItsGavinC said:
Huh? That last statement makes no sense. The MacBook is good for everybody--trust me.

My friend just got his brother a brand new macbook and it is amazing. It almost makes me want one however I am a tablet user and I can't stress how much easier it has made my life as a student.

I've heard some say, "Why would I want a tablet? I can type much faster than I can write." I can also type faster but I can sit in class without having to print out 40+ pages of powerpoint slides while highlighting them on my computer and taking notes at the same time. Like dreaming said, we can even record with microsoft Onenote as we're taking notes so we can go back and listen to the recording in the location of the notes and listen to what the professor was saying at that instance in time.

Microsoft Onenote even without the tablet functionality is one of the most useful programs I've used. It organizes my classes into folders and sections just like you would organize a binder for classes how I would in undergrad before I had my tablet.

I love my tablet but I really want to get a Macbook. I think I'd have a lot of fun with the macbook, but for school the tablet is really amazing. I'll probably get a mac my last year in D school while I can still get the discount. Sorry for the long post.

ItsGavinC said:
Good for you! You won't be dissappointed. You can install XP (and Vista as well) and if you wish, but even if you do you'll find that you rarely use them.

After having XP installed on my MacBook for a month or so, I deleted it because all it was doing was taking up space.

I was browsing the discussion boards today on apple.com and the macbook threads are making me nervous... lots of talk about random shutdowns (logic board flaw?), mooing (yes, like cows), and intense heat... i know that these customers are only a small % of the total lot, but still. there is a lot of talk also on production week - that weeks 18-25ish (week 18 was the 1st week of production) are most prone to defect. do you know what week yours is (4th and 5th digits from your serial #)? have you had any of the aforementioned problems?

thanks for your input and i'm glad you are happy with your macbook :)

post 25 weeks seem to be ok...yes it's only a small percentage but you also forgot to mention the yellowish/brown discolorations :D

Im just so stuck between a Tablet PC and a MacBook Pro. I really like both and dont want to make a mistake in buying one.

MentalDentalMan said:
Im just so stuck between a Tablet PC and a MacBook Pro. I really like both and dont want to make a mistake in buying one.

What do you want to do mostly with your new computer? Figure that out, and find out the pros and cons associated with each system.

MentalDentalMan said:

IMHO, Macbooks are more for fun. Macbook Pro's are useful for heavy video and digital editing. I think the pro is a waste of money when you can get the Macbook and have everything on the pro except for the programs, upgraded video card, and different design. Personally, if I was going to get one I would wait because the new Intel core duo 2 just came out and they will probably integrate this new chip in the Macbook Pro's after the holiday season.

If you are afraid of making the wrong choice, here is my advice. Costco.com has 2 toshiba tablets on their website: the 14.1 inch and the 12.1 inch (the one I have). If you buy it from them and you don't like it you can return it up to 6 months at any costco warehouse and get your full money back. Then you can buy the Mac unless you fall in love with it at the apple store without checking out the tablet.

Pro's are good for gaming since its got a dedicated ATI Radeon X1600 graphics card. That's the main advantage Pro's have over the regular MacBooks (other than the bigger screen). So basically, if you want to play games, get a MacBook Pro...if not, I would get the MacBook since you get identical performance for more than $500 less.

since a PDA is not required until the second year, couldn't we just buy it in our second year??

NYUCD c/o 2010

MentalDentalMan said:
What kind of tablet do you guys suggest buying?

I would suggest a convertible type in general. That way your keyboard is always attached and you can type just like a normal laptop when you want. When you want slate for writing, just rotate the monitor. I also wouldn't go above a 12" screen. The larger screens make the tablet function a bit too heavy.

I have a Toshiba M-200 that I love. Haven't had any problems with it. It has awesome resolution and pretty good battery life. The M-400 just came out, so the price on the 200 just dropped. I got the 40GB hard drive and 512 ram model a year ago. If I were you I'd look for the price on one of those and just install more memory and change the harddrive yourself...it might be cheaper than buying the better optioned one.

The toshiba forum on tabletpcbuzz.com is full of amazingly helpful and talented geeks. So, whenever I want to do something to it or read up on the latest tablet software I just surf there for a bit. You can find step by step instructions that are way better than customer service. I just put 1GB of memory in and changed the harddrive to a 100GB 7200 rpm. It's super fast... :cool:

I am debating whether or not to buy a laptop recently. I think it's going to be much more convenient to have it on my interview trips, but I am only concerned that I will have to get another new laptop when I enter dental school next fall (hopefully...!)

So dental students: were you guys required by your school to get a certain model of laptops?:confused:

Thanks for the help!