What length White Coat to Order

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cliff Huxtable

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 6 feet 4 inches tall, what length white coat should I get?

My chest size is 38. Skinny, lanky guy.

Should the coat be at the knee, above the knee, mid-thigh, etc.?

Need help ASAP please, orders are due soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm 6'5, medium build and I ordered a 46 long. oddly enough the length is perfect for the 100% cotton version but arm length is too short for the 65% polyester version

6'3" slim dude and I got a 44L cotton coat. Fits well, sleeves could be slightly longer. Tried on a 46L to see if sleeves would be any longer. However not the case. Sleeves the same length and coat is like a parachute.

If you have time swing by a scrub shop and try on some of the white coats sizes they have in stock.

Sizes vary dramatically by manufacturer. Our hospital just switched companies and I went from a 38 to a 42. Go figure. (I'm 6' as well. Never needed a "long" size.)

Just be prepared to guesstimate and for the first coat to not fit perfectly. Mine was too small. One of my co-intern's was a tent. Happens to the best of us.

Ok, ordering a 38L. This was my med school coat size.

The 38 is for the chest, I guess the length should be proportionate.

How long it too long and how short is too short?

Can't wait for residency to start next week (yes, we start late).

Ok, ordering a 38L. This was my med school coat size.

The 38 is for the chest, I guess the length should be proportionate.

How long it too long and how short is too short?

Can't wait for residency to start next week (yes, we start late).

I feel like anything way past your knees is too long, and anything up to your hips is too short. Beyond that, there's no "correct length."

I feel like anything way past your knees is too long, and anything up to your hips is too short. Beyond that, there's no "correct length."

In contrast, I would absolutely love to have a white coat that went down to my ankles.

Reactions: 1 user
I made the mistake of ordering the 100% cotton coats one year because I thought they looked nicer. Then I understood why all the attendings who have been there for a while use poly-cotton.

The 100% cotton coats are impossible to keep wrinkle-free and if you plan to wash your coat regularly you'll be doing a lot of ironing.