Oct 21, 2013
Status
I interviewed at the following programs, and didn't love them but didn't absolutely hate them (I could train there without wanting to quit medicine, but would not be happy about it):
- UTSW, Case Western, RWJ, Kaiser Oakland, Bottom-Feeder-****-Stain

Let's say that I would be willing to not rank one/all of the above programs in order to scramble into a program with a equivalent or better reputation, but is more likely somewhere I want to train. How often does a program in the scramble meet that criteria? Are programs on the coasts less likely to be in the scramble (vs. the midwest/south) at each tier? Below is my very limited understanding--please help fill in the blanks.

- UTSW: One spot every few years, e.g. UPenn a couple years back. Therefore, this is a must rank unless the PD slept with your significant other.
- Case Western: ?
- RWJ: ?
- Kaiser Oakland: ?
- BFSS: Several spots a year, and would easily scramble into one of these programs.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
That's not happening. There are usually 1 or 2 spots at good programs in SOAP but that's it. The rest are much worse than the places you mention.

So don't think think of it as "I'd rather SOAP than match there", but "I'd rather work at Home Depot than match there." That's the decision you're making.

Reactions: DermViser and jdh71
OP
K
Oct 21, 2013
Status
That's not happening. There are usually 1 or 2 spots at good programs in SOAP but that's it. The rest are much worse than the places you mention.

So don't think think of it as "I'd rather SOAP than match there", but "I'd rather work at Home Depot than match there." That's the decision you're making.
Thanks. Good to know.

IMPD

5+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2012
Status
Academic Administration

This is true.

Interestingly, the history of gamesmanship around the scramble/SOAP has changed quite a bit. It used to be a fax-machine-breaking week, but since the introduction of SOAP, it has calmed down considerably. Also, the reality is that the majority of SOAP positions are prelim surgery. Not attractive.

Overall, SOAP as a "destination" or a "strategy" for matching seems to have evaporated, which is probably for the best overall.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Just to follow-up, I found this list of IM programs that were open in SOAP last year (can't verify it's veracity but no reason to think it's bogus). There were supposedly 4 others but not sure what they were:
Kaiser Permanente Fontana, CA
White Memoral Med Center, CA
Earl K Long Med Center, Baton Rouge
LSU, New Orleans
LSUHSC, Shreveport
Grand Rapids Med Ed Partners, Michigan
Wayne State Univ - Maywood, Detroit
East Tennessee State, Johnson City
Texas Tech, Amarillo
Texas Tech, Odessa

OP
K
Oct 21, 2013
Status
Just to follow-up, I found this list of IM programs that were open in SOAP last year (can't verify it's veracity but no reason to think it's bogus). There were supposedly 4 others but not sure what they were:
Thanks. Will be sure to rank all of the programs I listed then.