What looks better on a resume: scribe vs telescribe vs medical assistant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s.cho18

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.
I’m taking a two year gap year before applying to medical school and was wondering what would look better on my resume? I was originally looking to be a scribe but with the coronavirus one of the places I applied had a things called telescribing. I was fortunate enough to find another job of medical assistant without needing any prior experience or degree.
At this point, I was wondering which would be best for someone who has no clinical experience or shadowing or research? Thanks and I hope everyone stays safe!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all.
I’m taking a two year gap year before applying to medical school and was wondering what would look better on my resume? I was originally looking to be a scribe but with the coronavirus one of the places I applied had a things called telescribing. I was fortunate enough to find another job of medical assistant without needing any prior experience or degree.
At this point, I was wondering which would be best for someone who has no clinical experience or shadowing or research? Thanks and I hope everyone stays safe!
IMO, if you have zero clinical experience, any of them are great. Although MAs actually room patients, take BP, etc. (Depending on workplace/institution) which is more "clinical experience" than transcribing what someone else is saying. In short, they're all fine/good. Maybe MA is better?

Best part is that when you're a physician (heck... even a med student) no one will give a damn... and you might not either and leave it off your CV/Resume just because it'd be too "small potatoes" and/or irrelevant at that time going forward.

At this point, I was wondering which would be best for someone who has no clinical experience or shadowing or research?
The job that gives you the most in-person ability to interact with patients is your best bet. Telescribe would not allow for that. Some in-person scribes are not allowed to interact with patients, but MAs are expected to. Once you are on the job, and get to know the docs, it should be easy to arrange some dedicated shadowing time.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got a great letter from scribing because I was hanging out with the physician all day. However as a MA, my wage was higher and I had more patient contact. It's harder to become an MA than a scribe usually so that may be slightly more impressive. I would go for scribing if you need an excellent letter. MA if you want a job that pays adult wages and may look slightly better on the CV.

Scribing probably pays less, but may provide more insight into what doctors actually do (dependent entirely on where you scribe). Working as an MA probably pays more, but affords all-important true patient care experience. I'd say the decision depends on what your application needs more. For someone who has no clinical experience of any kind, I'd probably recommend scribing.

Edit: tele-scribing is a whole different ballgame though. Seeing how doctors do histories/exams/interact with patients is incredibly valuable. I would make sure you know you can experience the full patient interaction if you agree to tele-scribing.