What LOR's do I need?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

Beoz

I want to start planning now for my 2003 applications. What type and from whom should the LOC's come from? I have about two good science professors for LOR's and two good science professors I did research under. What else do I need?

Thanks

ps. My school has a premed comittee. How do they fit into the picture?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you normally get about 4 (my advisor recommended 5 cause that way he could throw one out if necessary).

2 science

2 non-science

since you listed 4 science...i'd get one research and one non-research. then try to find 2 humanities profs (english, history, etc). the goal is to get letters that highlight different aspects of your character and skills.

Oh and by the way, here is what i got

1 engineering

1 engineering research

1 history

1 anthro

1 volunteer

1 employer.

the pre-med committee deal is supposed to write a committee letter. at our school this letter is supposed to summarize and highlight your letters of recommendation for the adcoms. when you ask for letters of rec, you are probably supposed to have them all submitted to the pre-med office at your school. They will then compile the essays to be mailed out. Most people sign waivers when they ask for the rec letters so that they don't read the letters.